RX - 3rd Gen (2010-2015) Discussion topics related to the 2010 - 2015 RX350 and RX450H models

Rodent got into my RX

Old 09-26-12, 08:47 PM
gentletony
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Rodent got into my RX

I don't know anyone here has the same bad experience as I have last week. I'd like to take any suggestion on how I should do.

I bought a 2013 RX350 late Aug. Two weeks I still feel some smell and I suppose that is because of new car. From last week, the smeall got stronger. Last weekend I looked around my car inside and foud the passenge seat, rear seat have some kind of broken spot and surprisngly I found half of the center rear seat belt was chewed. Consider the smell I have, I doubt the rodent got in, chewed my interior and died somewhere.

I drove immediately to the dealer and they told me they have to open all necessary equipment inside to find it. Finally today they told me that found it and it is underneath the central console. See pictures. I was told they have to remove all chairs and carpets to get rid of it and disinfect the carpet and the total charge will be about $1500 for labor plus the parts if found broken, like seat belt, chewed harness. They told me the rodent chewed the air filtler (See phone) , got into the car, chewed the leather chairs, seat belt and just can't get out and so died.

That is really to much ridicuouly and awful and disgusted. I even don't want to get this car back. It is brand new but everything interior has been opened and re-put together. And also the charge is ridicuouly high.

I called Lexus customer service today and the agent was also shocked. They filed a case for me but haven't got further reply from them.

What should I expect from Lexus and what should I request to Lexus? Is it possible I request to replace my car? I should blame the terrible design for the air filter which can't prevent small animals like rodent from getting into my car.

Any suggestion?
Attached Thumbnails Rodent got into my RX-img_0141_s.jpg   Rodent got into my RX-img_0144_s.jpg   Rodent got into my RX-img_0147_s.jpg   Rodent got into my RX-img_0149_s.jpg  
Old 09-26-12, 08:54 PM
RXSF

Received 69 Likes on 42 Posts

that is very strange indeed. To be honest, I dont think lexus will do anything for you because it is not really the fault of the car nor of the dealer. It is just bad luck that the rodent got there. Because the rodent wasnt there from factory the blame cannot be put on Lexus.

However, I would ask your insurance to see if they can do anything. Im not sure if that would help
Old 09-26-12, 09:09 PM
gentletony
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by RXSF
that is very strange indeed. To be honest, I dont think lexus will do anything for you because it is not really the fault of the car nor of the dealer. It is just bad luck that the rodent got there. Because the rodent wasnt there from factory the blame cannot be put on Lexus.

However, I would ask your insurance to see if they can do anything. Im not sure if that would help
Appreciate your answer. I called them today and see what could happen next. It is just not the money, I just feel so disgusted and I really want to get another car.
Old 09-26-12, 10:11 PM
dctex99
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by gentletony
Appreciate your answer. I called them today and see what could happen next. It is just not the money, I just feel so disgusted and I really want to get another car.
Also check your homeowners insurance if it was in your garage;;;otherwise just fix it and trade it; you might ask your SA if this will be reflected on your Carfax report or not?? Good Luck; so sorry it happened; I have had rodents chew wires but never get inside my vehicle!!
Old 09-27-12, 04:40 AM
Cruiter

Received 21 Likes on 16 Posts

Tony, 1st welcome to our forum. 2nd and sorry to say this but you've been dealt a bad set of circumstances that can't be blamed on Lexus or the dealer. I had squirrles once where I parked my car at work start chewing on the battery cables under the hood. By luck I found the mess under the hood before major damage had been done. Some rodent poison peanuts in the right place and I had the last laugh .

But in your case, I'd use the photos and pursue with your insurance company to at least find some help. But it sounds like they've done the right thing with your car, just fix it and put it behind you. For all the work you described and that is in the photos I'm not sure they overcharged you.
Old 09-27-12, 05:14 AM
My0gr81
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

From the pictures, it just looks worse than it actually is. This amount of disassembly would happen for any repair under the dash/console. It gets done all the time. What would you do if a roden got into your house and eventually died (happens more often than not, specially in the fall), sell the house?
Old 09-27-12, 06:01 AM
GoHuskers
Racer

Received 164 Likes on 111 Posts

I am sorry for your mishaps. I don't want my brand new car to be like that neither. Regardless of how good the fixes are, the bad memory will always be in your mind.

Did you notice the foul smell when you picked up the car? Because if you told the delivery personnel about the smell at that time than you may have a case with the dealer, otherwise you need to claim with with your auto or home insurance.
Old 09-27-12, 06:49 AM
sarhento
Driver

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by GoHuskers
Did you notice the foul smell when you picked up the car? Because if you told the delivery personnel about the smell at that time than you may have a case with the dealer, otherwise you need to claim with with your auto or home insurance.
The rodent might have entered/trapped while the car was still in the dealer's lot, if so, then you have a case, but to establish that would be next to impossible. Did they actually see a dead rodent when they opened the part where the smell was coming from?
Old 09-27-12, 08:31 AM
LeoDLion
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Darn I would feel the same way if that happen to me. A brand new car and a rat died in there. And it will cost $1500 to fix. And there will be that lingering feeling that a rat died in there ... Fix it and then sell it. Perhaps you can take it off your income tax as casualty loss.

That reminded me of a car my brother-in-law had. He was in the navy and was stationed in Hawaii. We visited him. One day we were going out, went to the garage and open the lights. Several cockroaches came out of his car and scurried all over the garage. Yechh.
Old 09-27-12, 09:35 AM
Cruiter

Received 21 Likes on 16 Posts

Two words: Just Nasty
Originally Posted by LeoDLion

That reminded me of a car my brother-in-law had. He was in the navy and was stationed in Hawaii. We visited him. One day we were going out, went to the garage and open the lights. Several cockroaches came out of his car and scurried all over the garage. Yechh.
Old 09-27-12, 12:41 PM
gentletony
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by GoHuskers
I am sorry for your mishaps. I don't want my brand new car to be like that neither. Regardless of how good the fixes are, the bad memory will always be in your mind.

I should say there was smell but I can't tell it was the new car or something else. Even I can doubt it, it is hard to prove it.
Old 09-27-12, 12:43 PM
gentletony
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by sarhento
The rodent might have entered/trapped while the car was still in the dealer's lot, if so, then you have a case, but to establish that would be next to impossible. Did they actually see a dead rodent when they opened the part where the smell was coming from?
As you may see from the photo, we can see rodent's hairs. They have to open more and actually find it, but should be near by.
Old 09-27-12, 12:45 PM
gentletony
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Cruiter
Tony, 1st welcome to our forum. 2nd and sorry to say this but you've been dealt a bad set of circumstances that can't be blamed on Lexus or the dealer. I had squirrles once where I parked my car at work start chewing on the battery cables under the hood. By luck I found the mess under the hood before major damage had been done. Some rodent poison peanuts in the right place and I had the last laugh .

But in your case, I'd use the photos and pursue with your insurance company to at least find some help. But it sounds like they've done the right thing with your car, just fix it and put it behind you. For all the work you described and that is in the photos I'm not sure they overcharged you.
Cruiter. thanks for your reply. I think insurance should be my last choice. I am still waiting for lexus, though I didn't expect too much.
Old 09-27-12, 01:42 PM
kitlz
No, I don't play soccer!

Received 159 Likes on 134 Posts

Someone better check out the passport on that rodent to see what country he came from. Maybe that'll solve the mystery.

All kidding aside, I'm very sorry to hear what happened. Hopefully your dealer will come through for you, whether it's making the repairs goodwill or exchanging for a new RX at little to no out of pocket costs. Most go the extra mile to please their customers. Please keep us updated. Good luck.
Old 09-27-12, 05:29 PM
cossie1600
Pole Position

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Comprehensive claim time...

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Rodent got into my RX