Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

Innovate wideband error code "E8"

Search this Thread

Old 02-29-12, 12:39 PM
INTIMAZY
Instructor

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Arrow Innovate wideband error code "E8"

I'm sure there are innovate forums for this topic but since I am uncertain about whether this is a wideband problem or something else, I'll start here...

About 6 months ago I bought an Innovate Motorsports MTX-L wideband.
Install went smoothly.
Calibration fine.
First few months were without issue.

Last week I threw in larger 550cc injectors (up from my 370cc's) along with an aeromotive FPR set to 30psi with vac unplugged. Did some highway runs and tuned it quite nicely to 11.8 AFR across the board at 22psi. (HOLY CARP 22PSI ON STOCK TWINS IS FUN!!)

The last few days, when starting the car up from cold, I noticed the wideband is working funny.
The AFR at startup is a bit rich (12.4-12.7) but after a few minutes the AFR leaps to 9.5 without any change in idle consistency or even change in exhaust quality.
After a minute or so of super rich readings, the AFR suddenly jumps to 22.4 without any noticeable change in idle quality. After a few seconds, the wideband just shows E8 and stays there.

However, when I turn the car off and restart again, the gauge shows 14.7-15.2 like normal.

Is this my ECU screwing with me?
Should I be on the market for a new Bosch sensor?
I included the most recent injector upgrade because I feel there may be something up with the motor since google yielded tons of results for E8 with all fingers pointing toward the owners and not Innovate making crappy products..
Old 02-29-12, 01:35 PM
cartmill
Lexus Test Driver

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

those random dips to 9.5:1 and spikes to 22.4:1 on the AFR gauge is the bosch sensor crapping out.

my PLX m300 back in the day was acting similarly, then i got a new sensor and it fixed it
Old 03-05-12, 06:36 AM
INTIMAZY
Instructor

Thanks for the idea. I'm starting to wonder if my main O2 sensor is on the way out. I started noticing a low throttle AFR surge right around 3000-4000rpm where the AFR's jump from 14.7-15.4 all the way into the 18's but only under low load (open loop?)
Wideband has not done the E8 startup thing in the last few days. I'm starting to wonder which sensor is fooling me.
Old 03-11-12, 08:18 PM
INTIMAZY
Instructor

Just throwing an idea out there before I actually do it...
I really don't like how the SAFC and 1JZ ECU "fight" each other in closed loop. I spent quite a bit of time trying to get the SAFC and ECU to not fight each other with my 550cc injectors. The car is flawless once it goes open loop. It's just closed loop that really isn't smooth. Is it possible to just disconnect the O2 sensor, forcing the ECU into open loop and just retune the low throttle map and drive on that?

The SAFC has a high and low throttle map so I think it should be possible. Am I wrong? Anyone done it?

Last edited by INTIMAZY; 03-11-12 at 08:22 PM.
Old 03-12-12, 03:43 AM
shaodome
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

flash the LC1 back to the 1.0 firmware. This is a common occurrence. They made changes a while back to it would heat up faster, but more often than not, it causes the e8 issue.
Old 04-02-12, 02:38 PM
DETONATION
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by shaodome
flash the LC1 back to the 1.0 firmware. This is a common occurrence. They made changes a while back to it would heat up faster, but more often than not, it causes the e8 issue.
How? I have the identicle problem with my aristo motor
Old 07-19-12, 07:55 PM
INTIMAZY
Instructor

Update time:

I'm tired of this junk. I don't care how fast and accurate these sensors are when they die in just a few months. This is easily the worst piece of "quality" junk I've bought on this car. After running a replacement sensor now for a few months I noticed today that my car was jumping rapidly between 22 and 8 while cruising along at one speed. I've been told that the 1.2 firmware is also a "fix" in addition to the 1.0 but I can't find either anymore and I'm quite honestly pissed off and refuse to buy anymore of those sensors.

Going AEM now. Maybe it's a bit slower to respond but hopefully it doesn't kill the Bosch 4.2's as quickly.
Old 07-20-12, 02:43 PM
sayayin
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I had AEM on my 1jz my car runs rich and always when I install new o2 sensor after 5 minutes driving it was gone, after that I bought the innovative blue one, my Afr goes up and down but never had the e8 code, they told me to clean the sensor and perform the AFR learning procedure, also I have mine installed like in parallel to the shifter.
Old 07-20-12, 06:56 PM
INTIMAZY
Instructor

Originally Posted by sayayin
also I have mine installed like in parallel to the shifter.
Can you give me more details? I don't understand what that means. You mean the power wires? Mine is actually powered directly from the battery on a line dedicated to only my gauge setup. I know the Innovate gauges were sensitive to grounding and power issues but mine gets powered more reliably than anything else on my 20 year old car. I recalibrated mine dozens of times thinking that would fix it even temporarily but it's very hit or miss. Sometimes the free air calibration worked for a few weeks and sometimes it did absolutely nothing. I always cleaned it with MAF sensor cleaner but that didn't improve reliability at all.
Old 07-20-12, 09:16 PM
SC400TT
Lexus Champion

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Call Innovate tech support and they should work with you. I had some issues on mine and they walked me through a few steps and it has been fine since.

Ryan
Old 07-23-12, 05:28 AM
bryan767
Lexus Test Driver

i had a similar issue with it flashing 7.4 after about 20 minutes of run time. a new sensor for $70 bucks, and i was good as new!
Old 07-25-12, 08:50 AM
Vrank
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Man, the aem is quite slow. I have one in gf's car, and zeitronix in my car. So much difference in response time between them as the Z is much quicker.

Also, you are probably on to something with the stock o2 going out. I haven't been running one at all in her car and get the same lean condition between 3-4k rpms, with a noticeable bog before I tuned it out with the emanage. I'll be fixing that this week to see if it helps as that's what I thought my problem could be as well.

Edit: the zeitronix has been in the daily for two years now without a hitch, first year in a stock jzx90 dp hooked up to full 3" exhaust and this last year about 2/3 way down my 4" open dp

Last edited by Vrank; 07-25-12 at 09:01 AM.
Old 07-25-12, 10:06 AM
INTIMAZY
Instructor

Originally Posted by Vrank
Man, the aem is quite slow. I have one in gf's car, and zeitronix in my car. So much difference in response time between them as the Z is much quicker.

Also, you are probably on to something with the stock o2 going out. I haven't been running one at all in her car and get the same lean condition between 3-4k rpms, with a noticeable bog before I tuned it out with the emanage. I'll be fixing that this week to see if it helps as that's what I thought my problem could be as well.

Edit: the zeitronix has been in the daily for two years now without a hitch, first year in a stock jzx90 dp hooked up to full 3" exhaust and this last year about 2/3 way down my 4" open dp
Well since I didn't order the AEM yet, I'll look into the Zeitronix. I just really hate how much money I've dumped into the Innovate and it never worked right.

I posted the uncertainty about my old OEM narrowband but now I'm fairly certain it was not broken. When I went single turbo, I switched over to a screw in style 5.0 mustang o2 sensor and nothing changed. Still has the low load 3000rpm lean out and hesitation. Since then, I found numerous threads describing this weird lean condition. It's just some glitch that nobody knows a fix for on stock ECU's.
Old 07-25-12, 01:42 PM
Vrank
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Zeitronix is expensive, but awesome. Has datalogging capability, and if you buy the pressure sensor doubles as a kick *** boost gauge. Can also hook up an egt probe to it. Neat stuff.
Old 07-25-12, 02:01 PM
99SC42
gte & na-t

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

^^^ Wow i never looked at that WB setup , i was thinking about ethanol content analyzer a while ago!

I will be ditching my aem wb for there WB kit it's very neat. The aem is a little slow that's for sure.

Quick Reply: Innovate wideband error code "E8"