Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.
View Poll Results: What if Lexus made the CT F? Would you consider it?
Yes
35.71%
Yes, but with AWD!
35.71%
Maybe
9.52%
No
26.19%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 42. You may not vote on this poll

So if Mercedes is making an A Class AMG, what if Lexus had a CT F?

Search this Thread

Old 06-13-12, 10:34 AM
flipside909
Lexus Connoisseur

Received 531 Likes on 280 Posts
Default So if Mercedes is making an A Class AMG, what if Lexus had a CT F?

Pictured: Project Lexus CT by Five Axis at 2011 Lexus SEMA

Last year, Lexus brought out the compact luxury hybrid, CT 200h to compete with its main European rivals the BMW 1 series and Audi A3. Earlier this year Mercedes Benz unveiled their newest A Class hatchback and is now planning to do an AMG version called the A45 AMG. BMW & Audi already have their factory tuned variants, the 1 Series M and the RS3 respectively. So what if Lexus created a CT F to go toe to toe with its European competitors?

If Lexus were to hypothetically make a CT F, it should have a few key ingredients:
  • A powertrain that is capable of producing over 300 hp
  • DCT Type Transmission w/Paddle Shifters or 6 Speed Manual Transmission
  • Brembo Big Brake Kit
  • Factory F tuned suspension
  • Special exterior aero
  • Special F colors

So far the best interpretation of what should be the CT F is the Project CT by Five Axis, unveiled at the 2011 Chicago Auto Show. Since Lexus is showing what the "F"...is all about (IS F & LFA), they should continue that strategy and show the European competition whats up.

Mercedes Benz C45 AMG:

via: Autoweek

Last edited by flipside909; 06-13-12 at 11:11 AM.
Old 06-13-12, 10:46 AM
edgeucated
Pole Position

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Lexus should expand their F line to the GS first. Though I can totally see an CT-F in the future
Old 06-13-12, 10:49 AM
RX469
Pole Position

Received 48 Likes on 38 Posts

Flip, I like your thinking!

Even though I like Toyota/Lexus...........we do have to admit, they are S-L-O-W to the performance or even enthusiast oriented products!

All this talk about "Toyota wanting to change their image to give consumers a more exciting driving experience" is taking wayyy too long to materialize, ESPECIALLY when they have TRD & Gazoo at their disposal!

So I or we will stand by the side and watch the AMGs, the RS4s & Ms zoom by us!
Old 06-13-12, 11:09 AM
MPLexus301
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I doubt CT-F would come in this generation, but for the next generation I think it would make a lot of sense to expand the entire CT line with 2 different hybrid models (one for ultra MPG, one for slighty more performance ~CT 300h) and an F halo car. It would have to be AWD, and I don't know if the current platform can support that....
Old 06-13-12, 11:14 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,096 Likes on 1,359 Posts

don't see how you make a ct-f with any degree or sport without gigantic changes

what will probably happen instead is a ct f-sport, with just some trim bits... all show and no go
Old 06-13-12, 11:14 AM
flipside909
Lexus Connoisseur

Originally Posted by MPLexus301
I doubt CT-F would come in this generation, but for the next generation I think it would make a lot of sense to expand the entire CT line with 2 different hybrid models (one for ultra MPG, one for slighty more performance ~CT 300h) and an F halo car. It would have to be AWD, and I don't know if the current platform can support that....
CT is built off a variation of the MC platform. Matrix FWD/AWD is part of that chassis family.
Old 06-13-12, 12:21 PM
PhilipMSPT
Cycle Savant

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

MB A-Class AMG (or BMW M1) = compact power with no regard to gas mileage.

CT-F = compact power, but kills its hybrid mantra.

No go.
Old 06-13-12, 03:10 PM
KillaIS250
Lexus Fanatic

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I would love to see a CT with a 350 motor in it. Sure it was originally meant to be a hybrid, but other models have sport vs hybrid versions, so might as well. I love the CT200h body and it would make a good performance hatch for Lexus!
Old 06-13-12, 03:14 PM
Gojirra99
Super Moderator

Received 186 Likes on 127 Posts

I am all for F models for all Mid and small size Lexus car (not SUV) models , except the ES ...
Old 06-13-12, 03:47 PM
ST430
Pole Position

Received 120 Likes on 67 Posts

CT-F with a Blitz Prius turbocharger kit! Do it!
Old 06-13-12, 04:05 PM
Hoovey689

Received 122 Likes on 82 Posts
Default Lexus CT has some work cut out for it...

Mercedes-Benz A45 AMG 2.0 turbo good for crazy 185 HP per liter

Gallery:
http://www.autoblog.com/photos/merce...photo-5092265/

We have just joined the journalist hordes in Affalterbach for some early peeks at AMG's imminent future, and the downsizing trend is really catching on, even here with Mercedes-Benz and its traditionally big-engined high-performance arm.

The biggest news was the smallest news: a really hot-looking high-performance A-Class model dubbed A45 AMG that will take it to the soon-to-be tested BMW M135i and future Audi RS3. Specific numbers are not out, but engine bosses tell us to expect around 370 hp and 300 pound-feet of torque. The engine is all-new: a twin-scroll turbocharged 2.0-liter called M133 and based loosely on the Daimler 2.0-liter turbocharged unit. If those figures are accurate, that would mean the M133 has the greatest true series-production power-per-liter rating in the world. This is the first AMG engine not built at Affalterbach, but at Daimler's state-of-the-art four-cylinder assembly plant at Kölleda, but the "one man, one engine" approach remains unscathed.

Word has it that the United States and Canada most likely will not get this wee AMG, but we hear this same powertrain with strengthened seven-speed dual-clutch transmission will come to us in a four-door CLA 45 AMG version, and possibly also in a smaller crossover vehicle based on the modular chassis beneath the A- and B- Class ranges.
Official pics from this early peak-a-boo at HQ come out only after we leave, but we just got hold of these spy photos that show the car with very little left to the imagination. Best example of what we're talking about is the main show car unveiled at this past March's Geneva motor show – the A 250 Sport with the full AMG treatment pictured here.

Of what little we could divulge from the stone-faced Teutons, these little 45 AMGs will all come with all-wheel drive, and we don't intend a full-on 4Matic treatment. It is aidsed instead by a hang-on rear differential. But you can switch off completely the ESP and have a solid Sport rear bias. The challenge for all this dynamically will be the projected 60-percent of total weight resting over the front axle, 60 percent of around 3,300 pounds.

Redline on the tach is currently shown at 6,300 rpm, so we'll almost certainly be wishing it were left to go higher when we test it. The center transmission lever of all AMG models is there as well, which is a much finer interface for us than the civilian trim steering column lever-ette.

AMG folks say that there is a good chance that there will also be an optional Driver Package that will let the top speed go to 174 miles per hour versus the stock 155 mph. Pricing is said to be competitive with a BMW M135i or where an RS3 could end up. AMG is planning that from creating the three versions of the new compact lineup – hatch, sedan, and crossover – by 2017 and the 50th anniversary of AMG that total annual volumes will climb from today's 20,000+ units to 30,000+.

http://www.autoblog.com/2012/06/13/m...-hp-per-liter/
Old 06-14-12, 06:33 PM
flipside909
Lexus Connoisseur

Back during the CT press event in Paris 2 years ago, I sat with Chief Engineer Sadakata-san. We discussed many ideas and brought up things like a CT F or another CT with a regular gas motor. Of course he smiled and laughed it off, but I did mention that having a manual or a DCT type transmission with a turbo 4 or maybe even a hybrid turbo 4 would be great. Sky is the limit. Lexus can do great things by expanding F.
Old 06-15-12, 05:35 AM
bagwell
Lexus Champion

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by ST430
CT-F with a Blitz Prius turbocharger kit! Do it!
great idea but too simple, won't happen.
Old 06-15-12, 09:51 AM
Lexuslvr91
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

First Toyota would need a comparable engine, which they do not. Second they would need AWD and if the Matrix had it this may be able to as well. I would love to see a turboed and revised 2.5 I4 with a more sporting electric motor good for a combined ~350 hp but I doubt Toyota has enough R&D for such a project.
Old 06-15-12, 10:15 AM
LexFather

Originally Posted by Lexuslvr91
First Toyota would need a comparable engine, which they do not. Second they would need AWD and if the Matrix had it this may be able to as well. I would love to see a turboed and revised 2.5 I4 with a more sporting electric motor good for a combined ~350 hp but I doubt Toyota has enough R&D for such a project.

not sure if serious

Quick Reply: So if Mercedes is making an A Class AMG, what if Lexus had a CT F?