SC430 - 2nd Gen (2001-2010)

Navigation freezes up

Search this Thread

Old 05-12-12, 01:04 PM
ArgylesLF
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Navigation freezes up

Whenever I use the navigation on my 2002 SC430 it keeps freezing up, after few minutes it's fine again only to freeze up again. Is't the disk or momething else, I'm planning to update the disk to a 2012 but I don't want to spend the money if is going to do the samething.
Any help is apreciated.
Old 05-12-12, 01:23 PM
VVTiBob

Received 264 Likes on 200 Posts

Could be your GPS antenna, view to the sky, speed sensor or the NAV ECU... The first thing to test would be the GPS antenna reception. Do you know how to get into diagnostic or service mode? Check this thread for some of the info you need. https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sc-...n-antenna.html
Old 05-15-12, 07:44 AM
Habious

Received 25 Likes on 20 Posts

When you say "freezes up", do you mean the the icon on the screen stops moving (like you're parked)...or that the whole system locks up (hard buttons/scrreen icons don't work)?

Even if the GPS antenna was faulty...or intermittent...the system should still reasonbly track, based on the speed and direction sensors in the car (that's how it can continue to keep up with your location even while going through a tunnel).

If it's totally freezing up, I would guess either the disk...or the drive in the ECU (the drives are somewhat prone to fail).

The disk is easier and cheaper to swap out. I'd try that first. Plus, even if it's the ECU and you have to replace that to get the system working, you'll still can use a newer disk with updated maps...so the money spent on that isn't thrown away.
Old 05-15-12, 03:06 PM
ArgylesLF
Driver School Candidate

Default Navigation freezes up

When it freezes up the keybord goes blank it doesn't allow me to enter anything and after few minutes it lites up once more and start functioning normaly and than it goes blank again, is the antenna located in the trunk by driver?
Old 05-15-12, 03:23 PM
VVTiBob

First..."goes blank" do you mean grayed out and doesn't function when the car is in motion of more than three miles per hour? Second..."lites up" do you mean re-activates or returns to normal mode once the car is not moving?
If that's what's happening, that's normal for toyota/lexus products....i.e. you're locked out when the car is in motion. The only way around this "safety feature" is to install a lock-out override.
Regarding the GPS antenna..it is located under the dash board, just to the right and forward of the Navigation screen.
Old 05-15-12, 04:33 PM
JohnnyCake
Racer

Received 51 Likes on 38 Posts

Originally Posted by VVTiBob
The only way around this "safety feature" is to install a lock-out override
.... which involves interrupting a single wire with a SPST switch.
Old 05-16-12, 07:04 AM
Habious

Received 25 Likes on 20 Posts

Bob,

I was thinking the same thing when he said the keyboard goes blank and doesn't allow him to enter data.
Old 05-16-12, 10:00 AM
VVTiBob

With the low number of posts, I have to believe unfamiliarity may be a factor. Seems Toyota's NAV "safety feature" is rarely mentioned during a sales pitch to potential buyers, who may have acted differently had they known. Fortunately, as we know, there are work-arounds to Toyota's need to nanny its customers.
Old 06-04-12, 09:16 PM
jbar5563
Driver School Candidate

Navigation just stopped working!!
My navigation was working fine one day then the next i started the car and nothing happened , door didnt open no lexus logo , none of the navi buttons worked just dead. I took it to the damn stealership thinking they would know something. Oh my god was i wrong i paid them 250 dollars and wasted 4 hours of my life so some tech can tell me something i already knew.
He said that he has no idea why it doesnt work and he didnt have any remarks on what i should do. Wow great service you bastards!!!!. Told me that MAYBE i needed a new navi brain and it was 8000 dollars. I laughed in his face and told him to put it back in and i will take care of it no thanks. Then he said that even if i do get a new unit it might not even work because that might no even be the problem. Plus he never checked inside the trunk to check the gps amplifer!!! So i un plugged the battery and unplugged the dvd in the trunk , im going to let it sit all night and plug everything up in the morning im thinking maybe the computer will reset itself.
I've never had a problem with the navi it always worked great and there was no warning what so ever it just failed on me. I checked the tv /navigation fuse in the side kick panel. They were ok but at the dealer he said that the fuses were in the wrong place and they were to powerful i had a 25 fuse were a 5 fuse should be , so they were mix matched. Im thinking that fried the unit but how come the navi buttons dont work on the ac controls? How come i cant open the door? Im worried if i buy a used navi computer on ebay and put it in it still wont fix it. Can anyone give me some input i'de be so thankful. I need a sc430 GURU!
Old 06-05-12, 06:01 AM
tfischer

Received 189 Likes on 143 Posts

Recently, when I was changing the search area, the system seemed to freeze up. Nothing worked and the menu screen went dim. I thought maybe it's just having a slow day in the computer area, so I left the engine running and left the NAV as it was and did a few other things about the garage. Ten or 15 minutes later the map screen came up and everything has been working perfectly since then, which involved 1,600 miles in one week (Ohio to Princeton to DC, and then back again - for my son' s wedding). It's as if the NAV really needed a nap after 10 years and woke up refreshed. I have no idea what was going on.