RX - 2nd Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2004 -2009 RX330, RX350 and RX400H models

Disable Seat Belt Alarm (2008)?

Search this Thread

Old 05-08-12, 04:28 AM
fossil
9th Gear

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Disable Seat Belt Alarm (2008)?

Does anyone know how to disable the seat belt alarm on a 2008 Lexus RX 350? I tried the "reset odometer" method and that doesn't work. I also took the car to a Toyota dealer and a former Lexus technician could not disable it via computer. This alarm is annoying! Please help!
Old 05-08-12, 05:58 AM
jtaylor3
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I had a lot of trouble getting it to work as well. I don't remember what I had to do, but I think I was rushing one of the steps. If you do a search, there are several subtle variations in how much time you have to wait between actions. Hopefully you will be lucky like I was and eventually get the timing right so it gets disabled.

Good Luck,

Jeff
Old 05-09-12, 03:23 AM
Poisson
Driver

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Easy - just do up your seat belt! Makes it a lot easier for the paramedics to find your body.
Old 05-09-12, 07:43 AM
draco
Lexus Test Driver

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

Why would you disable it? It is much, much, much safer to buckle up than not.
Old 05-09-12, 10:22 AM
jtaylor3
Rookie

I disabled mine because I put my laptop bag in the passenger seat and that sets off the chime. I agree, wearing your seat belt is very important. I believe I left the driver's chime intact, but I always wear the belt so I don't know for sure

Jeff
Old 05-09-12, 11:36 AM
mowmow
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I left the seat belt warning sound on, after a minute or so, it goes away anyway. For me it makes no sense to disable something that is safety related
Old 05-09-12, 12:30 PM
jamodeo

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

I am sorry, I do not know how to change that setting, but will everyone stop giving him a life lesson and just answer the question if you know it. We all know seat belts are safe and they have saved my life before but he just asked a simple question. There is no need to go on a rant every time someone asks a question if we don't agree with that they are asking. We are all entitled to our opinion, but it gets annoying seeing these kinds of posts all the time where everyone is just telling the OP they shouldn't be doing something instead of just answering the darn question!

-Joe
Old 05-09-12, 06:06 PM
Bon
Advanced

Received 23 Likes on 17 Posts

This may be what you already tried but I though it might be worth posting. This works on my '06 SC430 so it may work on your '08 RX. You'd think that Toyota would standardize on some things:

1. Turn the key to the ON position, foot off the brake, door closed, seat belt unbuckled.

2. As soon as the display is on, press the trip button as needed until the ODO is displayed (not trip A or B) AND THEN CONTINUE TO HOLD THE TRIP BUTTON DOWN WITH THE ODO DISPLAYED.

3. Continue to press and hold this same trip button (not the reset button) and hold for about 30 seconds.

4. While still holding the trip button, buckle the driver's side seatbelt. (Can you spell contortionist?)

5. The odometer display should read "b ON" or "b OFF". toggle the beep OFF with the trip button (again not the reset button).

6. Turn off the ignition when you have the setting that you want.

(7. Continue using your seat belt.)
Old 05-11-12, 03:47 PM
willyb0b
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Bon
This may be what you already tried but I though it might be worth posting. This works on my '06 SC430 so it may work on your '08 RX. You'd think that Toyota would standardize on some things:

1. Turn the key to the ON position, foot off the brake, door closed, seat belt unbuckled.

2. As soon as the display is on, press the trip button as needed until the ODO is displayed (not trip A or B) AND THEN CONTINUE TO HOLD THE TRIP BUTTON DOWN WITH THE ODO DISPLAYED.

3. Continue to press and hold this same trip button (not the reset button) and hold for about 30 seconds.

4. While still holding the trip button, buckle the driver's side seatbelt. (Can you spell contortionist?)

5. The odometer display should read "b ON" or "b OFF". toggle the beep OFF with the trip button (again not the reset button).

6. Turn off the ignition when you have the setting that you want.

(7. Continue using your seat belt.)

I did this and it worked for me. the first two times no luck, but the 3rd time worked for me. So nice to have the chime off
Old 05-11-12, 09:53 PM
Bon
Advanced

Keep these instructions in your glove box. Every time you pull your battery you'll need to repeat this dance because the default is "B ON".
Old 05-12-12, 03:23 AM
Poisson
Driver

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Joe, I hear what you say, but honestly I don't agree with you. You may think it's a person's own affair whether or not he does something silly or dangerous. If he kills himself, so what? And to a certain extent that's true. However...

When a person deliberately disables a safety device he puts himself in danger of death or serious injury. There is a COST to the community involved here - a big cost. If he's killed (and doesn't take some innocent bystander with him), there is the emotional and financial cost to his family and friends, as well as the cost to the community involved in scraping him up off the road, running an investigation, autopsy and all the paperwork that goes with it - that adds up to a lot of $$. There is his lost earnings and the taxes that he would otherwise pay. There is social security to support his wife and kids.

If he is lucky enough to survive, and only be seriously injured or perhaps become a vegetable, there are ongoing health system costs, which run into the millions. Plus the aforesaid emotional costs, lost earnings taxes and social security.

But the biggest issue here is that people who are stupid enough to disable their safety devices are more likely to kill or injure some innocent person, who could be me or my wife or daughter or grandkid. We see too many innocent bystanders killed on our roads without enabling and encouraging people to do stupid pointless things.
Old 05-12-12, 06:30 AM
Bon
Advanced

[Rant]

However, this is not removing a safety device. The buzzer is just a reminder device. The blinking light reminder device is still active. Toyota gave the owner the option of turning the buzzer on and off because it is redundant to the blinking lights. In doing so they tacitly acknowledge that the buzzer can be an annoyance to the owner.

Deciding on where to draw the line on safety issues is always a tricky one. Wearing a helmet on a motorcycle is a safety issue. You are safer while wearing one than without. Fact is you are safer when not riding a motorcycle. You are even safer at home under the covers. Perhaps we should not allow driving a car without an "approved purpose" that benefits society, or motorcycle riding, or even pursuing activities that involve physical risk? There is a cost to society for almost all human endeavors.

I exercise to extreme levels and I'm over 60. Perhaps I shouldn't be allowed to do this as I might have a heart attack and cost society something like a high speed ambulance ride through traffic endangering the many. As a matter of fact I might not be very productive to society at my old age and I shouldn't be taxing the environment with my pointless activities and body waste any longer. Clearly we cannot continually do what is best for the many - society - at all times.

Our lawmakers have written laws requiring three-point seat belts be in our cars. Our lawmakers have further mandated that we wear them while we're in motion. They're not shy about passing laws, that's for sure. They have not required that there be one, let alone two reminders to wear them. They've had 50+ years of mandatory seat belt requirements in cars to do so.

[RANT/]
Old 05-12-12, 11:30 PM
pauljcl
Lead Lap

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Bon
[Rant]

However, this is not removing a safety device. The buzzer is just a reminder device. The blinking light reminder device is still active. Toyota gave the owner the option of turning the buzzer on and off because it is redundant to the blinking lights. In doing so they tacitly acknowledge that the buzzer can be an annoyance to the owner.

Deciding on where to draw the line on safety issues is always a tricky one. Wearing a helmet on a motorcycle is a safety issue. You are safer while wearing one than without. Fact is you are safer when not riding a motorcycle. You are even safer at home under the covers. Perhaps we should not allow driving a car without an "approved purpose" that benefits society, or motorcycle riding, or even pursuing activities that involve physical risk? There is a cost to society for almost all human endeavors.

I exercise to extreme levels and I'm over 60. Perhaps I shouldn't be allowed to do this as I might have a heart attack and cost society something like a high speed ambulance ride through traffic endangering the many. As a matter of fact I might not be very productive to society at my old age and I shouldn't be taxing the environment with my pointless activities and body waste any longer. Clearly we cannot continually do what is best for the many - society - at all times.

Our lawmakers have written laws requiring three-point seat belts be in our cars. Our lawmakers have further mandated that we wear them while we're in motion. They're not shy about passing laws, that's for sure. They have not required that there be one, let alone two reminders to wear them. They've had 50+ years of mandatory seat belt requirements in cars to do so.

[RANT/]
+1. I'm with you on this, Bon. If seatbelts must be worn when in motion, so be it. Let's not have a chime when you stop to look something up and remove the seatbelt and have to hear the dumb noise, or when you have a package on the passenger seat. The question was asked, in time received an answer.... let it be, may the do-gooders chime elsewhere.
Old 05-13-12, 05:50 AM
biff44
Instructor

Received 44 Likes on 39 Posts

Its your car, and your right to do what you want with it. Ignore others stating otherwise!

As I recall the proceedure is a little hard, you almost need 3 hands to do it correctly. Pull you seatbelt all the way out, but do not snap it in, so there is a lot of slack. Then you can probably get it done with the proper timing.
Old 01-14-14, 05:45 AM
kjv1611
Driver School Candidate

Bon,

thanks for sharing these instructions, though it's been near 2 years ago, I was curious about this. On a few occasions (just got a Lexus RX couple of months ago), my wife or I have been annoyed when driving, b/c put something in the passenger seat, and so that triggers the sensor for the seatbelt. Sorry, I'm not always going to buckle in a box or a bag.

That said, I may very well try this very soon.

Quick Reply: Disable Seat Belt Alarm (2008)?