Automotive Care & Detailing Discussions on washing, waxing, polishing, detailing, cleaning and maintaining the beauty of your Lexus.

Bug Removal: The Products & Know-How to GET IT DONE!

Search this Thread

Old 04-14-12, 12:47 PM
Nick@Autogeek
Former Sponsor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Bug Removal: The Products & Know-How to GET IT DONE!

"Ewwww! That's nasty!"

Bug season is here in southern Florida which means the front end of your car will be getting way too personal with the insect that fills our highways, the "love bug." I don't think the love bug is a good match for the front end of our cars and neither does Diamondite, which is why they have a product designed to erase bugs.

Bug Eraser, by Diamondite, is an intense cleaner designed to break down bug remains before they cause any damage to your vehicle's delicate finish. As soon as you spray Bug Eraser onto your vehicle's paint, glass, chrome, or plastic trim, it immediately starts softening the bug remains, making removal effortless. It's so advanced you can even use it without water for on-the-go bug removal.

Finding a bug-infested car in the Autogeek parking lot is no time-consuming task because this time of year brings love bugs, and lots of them. Jason washed his big blue Toyota Tundra a couple days ago and in no time it was infested with bugs.

Once again; "Ewww. That's NASTY!"

Diamondite Bug Eraser is the big block in your Chevy and the Safe Scrub Bug and Tar Pad is the limited-slip differential that helps transfer all that power to the ground.

At this moment you're probably thinking that I don't like Jason. Why would I rub something so coarse against the finish of his truck? Because like anything else, when used properly, the Safe Scrub Bug & Tar Pad works like a charm. Not only does it work like a charm, you'll often think Autogeek should have charged you twice as much for this wash-tool as it makes removing bugs and tar effortless.

Using the Safe Scrub Bug & Tar Pad is simple: First, fill a 5-gallon wash bucket with water, add a high-quality soap, create some suds, and let it soak for five minutes. It's just like pre-heating the oven before baking cookies.

While the Safe Scrub Bug & Tar Pad was indulging in the natural coconut oils provided by Pinnacle Bodywork Shampoo as it soaked in the 5-gallon wash bucket, I went ahead and sprayed a liberal amount of Bug Eraser all over the front end of Jason's Tundra.

Diamondite Bug Eraser is safe on:
  • Plastic
  • Chrome
  • Paint
  • Glass
  • Rubber

Diamondite Bug Eraser clings to the surface, allowing maximum dwell time for its advanced cleaners to break down bug remains.

By the time I had sprayed down the front end of Jason's Tundra with Diamondite Bug Eraser, the Safe Scrub Bug & Tar Pad was ready for use. For anyone that has used a Safe Scrub Bug & Tar Pad, you're well aware of how soft it gets after a couple minutes of soaking in a high-quality wash solution. It becomes very malleable, reassuring its claims that it's paint safe.

Another tip with the Safe Scrub Bug & Tar Pad: Don't use a lot of pressure and rinse often.

The Safe Scrub Bug & Tar Pad isn't the only tool that makes cleaning bug remains quick and easy. The small Wheel Woolie comes in handy for cleaning in between the front bumper gap.

The Daytona Speed Master Jr. cleans more than just wheels. With its flexible step and super soft bristles that conform to every surface, the Daytona Speed Master Jr. works great for cleaning grille slots.

Once I finished cleaning the front end, I gave it a thorough rinsing with a strong jet of water and dried it using a Cobra Guzzler Waffle Weave Drying Towel.

After thoroughly drying the front end of Jason's Tundra, I applied a quick coat of Diamondite Crystal Gloss. Crystal Gloss can be applied to glass, plastic and paint to provide a quick coat of durable protection. It leaves a super-slick polymer coating on any surface that it's applied to, making future bug removal quick and easy.

What's better than a vehicle free of bugs? A shiny vehicle free of bugs. Diamondite makes both possible with Bug Eraser and Crystal Gloss.

Diamondite Bug Eraser

Diamondite Crystal Gloss Surface Protectant

Become an advocate of working smart and not hard, and introduce yourself to the Safe Scrub Bug & Tar Pad. Like pre-cooked bacon that only requires a couple seconds in the microwave, it's sure to surprise you.

Safe Scrub Bug & Tar Pad
Old 04-16-12, 06:54 PM
97-SC300
Lexus Fanatic

Received 128 Likes on 107 Posts

Nice writeup Nick. Have you guys noticed any maring on softer paints from using the bug scrub sponge? It looks a bit rough in the pictures.
Old 04-23-12, 04:55 AM
Nick@Autogeek
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by 97-SC300
Nice writeup Nick. Have you guys noticed any maring on softer paints from using the bug scrub sponge? It looks a bit rough in the pictures.
When used properly, it will not mar or scratch soft(er) paints.
Old 04-24-12, 05:40 PM
bjohn
Driver

If you are running the risk of scratching any surface with the abrasive pad... why wouldn't you just use a degreaser, and power wash the area? Then do a regular wash. It works better, and has no risk of scratching. Sorry for trolling
Old 04-24-12, 08:35 PM
97-SC300
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by bjohn
If you are running the risk of scratching any surface with the abrasive pad... why wouldn't you just use a degreaser, and power wash the area? Then do a regular wash. It works better, and has no risk of scratching. Sorry for trolling
I usually just spray some citrus degreaser on the front end and lower half of the vehicle, agitage with a soft brush and rinse off. It's so easy a caveman can do it. Bugs just come right off even on non waxed or sealed paints.
Old 04-24-12, 08:55 PM
bjohn
Driver

Originally Posted by 97-SC300
I usually just spray some citrus degreaser on the front end and lower half of the vehicle, agitage with a soft brush and rinse off. It's so easy a caveman can do it. Bugs just come right off even on non waxed or sealed paints.
Almost exactly how I'd do it!
Old 04-25-12, 05:13 AM
Nick@Autogeek
Former Sponsor

You don't run a risk with the bug sponge when you use it properly. But you do run a risk of staining your paint when using a degreaser.
Old 04-25-12, 07:57 AM
bjohn
Driver

Like you said about the bug pad, when used properly, there's no risk
Old 04-25-12, 08:13 AM
Nick@Autogeek
Former Sponsor

Like you said about the bug pad, when used properly, there's no risk
The bug pad was designed to remove bugs from paint. A degreaser was designed to remove grease.

Every product has a specific intended use in which it excels. When polishing paint or removing contaminants from paint, it's always recommended to use the least aggressive approach first.

But find something that works for you, and stick with it.

Last edited by Nick@Autogeek; 04-25-12 at 08:19 AM.
Old 04-26-12, 04:01 AM
ditch2
Driver School Candidate

thanks, nice write up
Old 04-26-12, 09:53 AM
UDel
Lexus Fanatic

Received 296 Likes on 223 Posts

Can this Bug Remover get stubborn basically baked on pollen off a finish? I washed my car 2 times and could not get this pollen off. I even washed it with citrus soap(I have a layer of opti coat2) and the pollen still won't come off. When I rub my hand over the finish while it is wet I can really feel it. I don't really want to use a claybar because I am going to have to add a lot of pressure and go over the area several times to get it off and that is going to cause deeper scratches and swirls. Do they make anything to get really stuck/baked on pollen off?
Old 04-26-12, 11:53 AM
gyung
Pole Position

That's awesome, thanks for the tips Nick!
Old 04-28-12, 10:57 AM
Nick@Autogeek
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by UDel
Can this Bug Remover get stubborn basically baked on pollen off a finish? I washed my car 2 times and could not get this pollen off. I even washed it with citrus soap(I have a layer of opti coat2) and the pollen still won't come off. When I rub my hand over the finish while it is wet I can really feel it. I don't really want to use a claybar because I am going to have to add a lot of pressure and go over the area several times to get it off and that is going to cause deeper scratches and swirls. Do they make anything to get really stuck/baked on pollen off?
A clay bar should do the trick. With the abrasives in the clay bar plus the friction of rubbing it across the surface, it should remove anything and everything that's above the surface.

If you haven't picked up a bottle or two of Diamondite Bug Eraser yet, check out this week's VIP Special.

VIP Special - Diamondite Bug Eraser™ Kit

The Diamondite Bug Eraser Kit includes essential Diamondite cleaners and protectants to make bug removal quick and easy. The kit is normally priced at $49.99 but as a VIP Special it's only $34.99!

If you are not already a member, sign up to receive more exclusive, weekly VIP sales like this one delivered to your inbox! VIP items are available for one week. You will receive notication of a new VIP special every Friday.

Autogeek's VIP Club
Old 04-28-12, 11:16 AM
97-SC300
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Nick@Autogeek
You don't run a risk with the bug sponge when you use it properly. But you do run a risk of staining your paint when using a degreaser.
No when used properly. Haha.
Old 04-28-12, 05:32 PM
Getrag
Rookie

Nick, is this product safe for clear bras?

I usually just spray on some quick detailer and let it sit for a minute or two and 90% of the time the bugs come off.

Thanks in advance.