IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Another "Should I buy a 2is" thread.

Search this Thread

Old 04-19-12, 05:59 PM
Ask92
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm wondering if everyone could elaborate on why they would not buy a slavaged car? The main problems I see with buying them are:

-Resale Value
-Insurance price may be higher, and some companies wont provide full coverage for one.
-Whoever rebuilt the car may have done it improperly which may lead to problems down the road.

I have no issue with the first 2, and as long as there is documented proof that it was repaired properly and everything looks and feels straight I don't have an issue with the last one either. Anything else?

Last edited by Ask92; 04-19-12 at 06:03 PM.
Old 04-19-12, 06:10 PM
calvin2376
Racer

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Ask92
I'm wondering if everyone could elaborate on why they would not buy a slavaged car? The main problems I see with buying them are:

-Resale Value
-Insurance price may be higher, and some companies wont provide full coverage for one.
-Whoever rebuilt the car may have done it improperly which may lead to problems down the road.

I have no issue with the first 2, and as long as there is documented proof that it was repaired properly and everything looks and feels straight I don't have an issue with the last one either. Anything else?
Do there need to be more?

Those are the three main issues I see, and each one is very significant. The 3rd one is the biggest one for me. You're driving a car that Joe in his garage might have slapped back together after a huge accident. Short of tearing down the car to inspect every piece, you can have no way of knowing how well the work was performed, what parts were used, if everything was done correctly, etc. What if the person used cheap knockoff parts wherever possible to save money then flip the car? What if he missed some issues or areas of damage during the repairs? What if some damage wasn't visible at all, and happened just to internal components?

The list goes on. The risk you're taking on with a salvage title is huge. I personally would hate to be driving down the road wondering what might happen, or if that noise is something to worry about, etc.

As for your last point, what amount of documentation could prove it was repaired properly? They could show receipts from a body shop or receipts for parts, but that says nothing of whether they were installed correctly. Even receipts showing parts + labor (somehow) wouldn't capture damage they might have missed or ignored or wasn't visible. Short of a multi-camera video documentary of the rebuild, no level of documentation can adequately prove that everything was done properly. There have been a few threads on CL of people who bought salvage title cars because they looked and drove fine only to find themselves staring at a dash lit up with lights shortly thereafter. You can probably find these threads with a search for "salvage title" in the 2IS section.

Last edited by calvin2376; 04-19-12 at 06:13 PM.
Old 04-19-12, 09:18 PM
Ask92
Driver School Candidate

I definitely hear where you are coming from with this. But to register a vehicle in CA after it being salvaged is a HUGE pain in the ***. I bought my Celica for dirt cheap because it was just in an accident(Rear ended a truck with a hitch) so the crash bar and radiator support was bent up. To get it registered I had to have all of the following tests administered:

-Headlights(They check for any cracks, chips, etc and balance them, as well as checking the metal thy mount to for bends)
-Brakes/suspension(They take all 4 wheels off and visually inspect everything, then take it and do a 60-0 test)
-Vin check by CHP or DMV officer(They run the vin, and look the car over for anything problematic(illegal) basically)
-Smog by a test only station

However I do agree I could have catastrophic problems, but they wont be due to the "accident" In my opinion. Hell in CA they will salvage your vehicle for a fender bender.
Old 04-20-12, 03:46 AM
MikeyK02
Instructor

Received 35 Likes on 31 Posts

-Resale Value

I'm serious when I ask this, are you trollin??

because anyone in their right mind would know....those problems you've listed would be a straight up "no" in the is this a good outlook department
Old 04-20-12, 06:47 AM
calvin2376
Racer

I definitely hear where you are coming from with this. But to register a vehicle in CA after it being salvaged is a HUGE pain in the ***. I bought my Celica for dirt cheap because it was just in an accident(Rear ended a truck with a hitch) so the crash bar and radiator support was bent up. To get it registered I had to have all of the following tests administered:

-Headlights(They check for any cracks, chips, etc and balance them, as well as checking the metal thy mount to for bends)
-Brakes/suspension(They take all 4 wheels off and visually inspect everything, then take it and do a 60-0 test)
-Vin check by CHP or DMV officer(They run the vin, and look the car over for anything problematic(illegal) basically)

However I do agree I could have catastrophic problems, but they wont be due to the "accident" In my opinion. Hell in CA they will salvage your vehicle for a fender bender.
So that's at least some reassurance about the quality of a rebuild on a salvage car.....if it successfully passed CA inspection. That's my question - the two cars you linked to are in Phoenix and New York. There's no evidence they have passed or could pass CA's strict registration tests. So I'm confused, would you buy the car hoping it passes? What if it doesn't?

I'll also say that having the headlights, brakes, and suspension visually checked is great and everything, but 1) only so much is visible to the naked eye, and 2) where's the check under the hood? If they visually inspect everything but the main component of the car - the engine and all its related components - well that's not a terribly helpful inspection. And how thorough can a strictly visual inspection truly be?

Last edited by calvin2376; 04-20-12 at 08:32 AM.
Old 04-20-12, 08:19 AM
busdepot
Lead Lap

These tests are only surface tests. They aren't actually checking much on a car with this.

- Metal around the headlights can easily be fixed and bent back into shape, your frame rails could still look like Twizzlers and pass.
- The fender shrouds cover most of what's in and around the wheel wells. Good luck seeing anyone tear all that down to check for something like re welds and repair work.
- VIN checks aren't particularly informative. They're going to see if it's been written off before.
- Smog tests are easy to pass and they don't tell you that your chassis is now a Gummiworm.

If you're desperate to get into a 2IS, go high mileage. You're looking at a luxury car, which typically come with luxury car prices and repair bills. I wouldn't buy a written off '99 Ford Focus.
Old 04-20-12, 08:32 AM
swirvin
Driver

Received 10 Likes on 1 Post

I would never buy a salvage car, and if I read your 1st post correct you said
"Is it feasible(with some help of the parents) to make payments on, insure, and drive a 350 while in college part time with a full time job? "

What bank will even finance a salvage car, much less at a decent interest rate... Not counting the other negatives.
Old 04-20-12, 08:44 AM
TooFly4Ya
Pole Position

If it were me, I would say no. Im not a believer in Financing anything especially cars and especially when you don't have a stable and good J-O-B. I've seen too many friends finance when they shouldn't have and ended up skrewed up down the road credit wise and financial wise. Jus wait until you get the $. Just my 2 cents.
Old 04-20-12, 08:53 AM
calvin2376
Racer

Originally Posted by swirvin
What bank will even finance a salvage car, much less at a decent interest rate... Not counting the other negatives.
Very good point I and others missed - how are you planning to buy this car? You mentioned in the first post you were going to be financing or at least "making payments on" the car which implies financing. Where exactly will you find a bank that will not only advance you a loan for a used car, but a salvage title one? In the unlikely event you find a bank willing to do this, the interest rate will be astronomical. Say goodbye to the $2k cushion - that's going to interest.
Old 04-20-12, 09:42 AM
CCJ22
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Back story: So after seeing these cars when they first debuted in 06 I have always thought (known) that I will own one someday. A bit of a background on me is needed I suppose for these types of thread. I am 19 and studying business in college. I'm hoping to Graduate from San Francisco State within 2 years and go into business somewhere in the Automotive field. In the past I have owned a celica, a supra, an old f250 and now I'm back to another celica after the supra raped my Bank Account.

Yesterday I did the stupid thing of going and test driving various 4 doors I see myself being able to afford. I drove a 08 TL, a 09 is250 AWD, and a 09 530i. Overall I liked the lexus the most, however the 250 awd was the slowest and smallest. But the driving confuragtion and feel of the car was perfect to me. If i do end up getting a 2is it will only be a "bpu", Basic performance upgrades, daily driver. fsport bars, lowering springs, intake, hks exhaust, etc. After college I plan to pick up another Supra and have that as the weekend warrior so the lexus will mostly be a DD that I can have some fun in once and a while.

After driving the awd 250 I am almost set that I will get a 350, however I am going to drive a RWD 250 and 350 tomorrow so I will know then.The 250s having the carbon build up issues and the mg not being much better makes me want a 350 a lot more as well. I'm not insulting 250s, I would have NO problem driving one but I think the smarter option is 350 if I can find one.

The car will be bought used off of craigslist most likely somewhere in the country and ill drive home. I will wait until one pops up for under 15 with nav(I have seen a few in my few days of searching). It seems like it is possible to work on these cars yourself if you are technically inclined, is this true?

Real stuff: My question is:
Is it feasible(with some help of the parents) to make payments on, insure, and drive a 350 while in college part time with a full time job? I know I will most likely have to kill myself to afford one of these cars, but the other option is keeping the celica, picking up a NA supra then getting the IS after college, but I would prefer only 1 car right now. I can run the numbers til I am red in the face but I would like the opinions of people that have done or seen it be done before. I'm a big kid so any and all input is welcomed.

Oh yea and no thread is complete without pictures:
Short answer... No don't buy an IS.
Old 04-20-12, 04:45 PM
carlos3366
Advanced

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts

You have been warned! Buy an IS350.