IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Another "Should I buy a 2is" thread.

Search this Thread

Old 04-19-12, 12:15 PM
Ask92
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Another "Should I buy a 2is" thread.

Back story: So after seeing these cars when they first debuted in 06 I have always thought (known) that I will own one someday. A bit of a background on me is needed I suppose for these types of thread. I am 19 and studying business in college. I'm hoping to Graduate from San Francisco State within 2 years and go into business somewhere in the Automotive field. In the past I have owned a celica, a supra, an old f250 and now I'm back to another celica after the supra raped my Bank Account.

Yesterday I did the stupid thing of going and test driving various 4 doors I see myself being able to afford. I drove a 08 TL, a 09 is250 AWD, and a 09 530i. Overall I liked the lexus the most, however the 250 awd was the slowest and smallest. But the driving confuragtion and feel of the car was perfect to me. If i do end up getting a 2is it will only be a "bpu", Basic performance upgrades, daily driver. fsport bars, lowering springs, intake, hks exhaust, etc. After college I plan to pick up another Supra and have that as the weekend warrior so the lexus will mostly be a DD that I can have some fun in once and a while.

After driving the awd 250 I am almost set that I will get a 350, however I am going to drive a RWD 250 and 350 tomorrow so I will know then.The 250s having the carbon build up issues and the mg not being much better makes me want a 350 a lot more as well. I'm not insulting 250s, I would have NO problem driving one but I think the smarter option is 350 if I can find one.

The car will be bought used off of craigslist most likely somewhere in the country and ill drive home. I will wait until one pops up for under 15 with nav(I have seen a few in my few days of searching). It seems like it is possible to work on these cars yourself if you are technically inclined, is this true?

Real stuff: My question is:
Is it feasible(with some help of the parents) to make payments on, insure, and drive a 350 while in college part time with a full time job? I know I will most likely have to kill myself to afford one of these cars, but the other option is keeping the celica, picking up a NA supra then getting the IS after college, but I would prefer only 1 car right now. I can run the numbers til I am red in the face but I would like the opinions of people that have done or seen it be done before. I'm a big kid so any and all input is welcomed.

Oh yea and no thread is complete without pictures:

Last edited by Ask92; 04-19-12 at 12:24 PM.
Old 04-19-12, 12:24 PM
calvin2376
Racer

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Start here: https://www.clublexus.com/forums/is-...e-threads.html

That thread should help you in your search for used examples. You'll want to watch out for the common issues, check the dealer service history, etc.

First off, once you drive the 350 you won't be satisfied with the 250. Particularly if you already think the 250 is slow before even driving the 350. So just bear that in mind. I personally knew the 250 was too slow before even getting out of the parking lot on the test drive, and immediately switched gears to the 350.

Second, I don't think the insurance makes it impossible to own given your situation, but it is going to be high, and likely much higher than what you've had in the past. Don't even consider buying one before going to each of the insurance company websites and doing an online quote, inputting your demographic info and then info of a hypothetical IS (or pick a real one you see). Know what you're getting into on insurance and whether you can afford it.

Thirdly, this car is going to be a "BPU" not because of your plans, but because that's all there is you can do. Read up on the performance sub-forum: basically the only things you can cost-effectively do to upgrade are coils/springs, exhaust, intake, etc. Just make sure you don't go into it thinking you're going to buy an easy bolt on F/I kit, like some apparently do.

Lastly, where are you seeing all these sub-$15k IS350s? I just did a nationwide Autotrader search for any and all IS350s under $15k, and came up with three results:

1. http://www.autotrader.com/cars-for-s...13405459&Log=0 - "Needs some engine work"

2. http://www.autotrader.com/cars-for-s...16776510&Log=0 - Accident, 100k miles

3. http://www.autotrader.com/cars-for-s...19607715&Log=0 - Carfax clean, 1-owner, but 160k miles

Sooo....there's that. Clearly you don't want one that "needs engine work", which is dealerspeak for "I don't even want to touch this, you take it". The second one's been in an accident and has 100k miles. And the last one looks clean and great but it has 160k miles. Oh and no nav on any of them.

My point is I don't think you'll find a 350 for less than $15k that hasn't been in an accident, doesn't need work, or doesn't have astronomical mileage. And I'd be wary to recommend a 2IS to you at that price range anyway. Clearly finances are tight for you, and will be especially when you have to start paying higher insurance on this. What happens when you buy a 120k mile 2IS and the water pump goes out, or the nav goes out, or the cam gear issue surfaces, and you need to fork over $2,000? Sure this could happen on any car, but in a less expensive, non-luxury car the repair bill will be far less.

Last edited by calvin2376; 04-19-12 at 12:36 PM.
Old 04-19-12, 12:28 PM
greg0126
Lexus Test Driver

Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts

Since you're questioning whether or not you can afford it and you admit you'd probably struggle financially I would advise you to not buy one right now. Wait until you're done with college.
Old 04-19-12, 12:36 PM
Kurtz
Lexus Fanatic

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

Given your situation, don't buy the car.

You're not going to find an IS350 under 15k unless it is one or more of:
Has a TON of miles on it (ie long long long past warranty)
Has been in accidents but not totaled
Has a salvage title

All of which means in your situation you're one weird problem from not being able to afford to fix it.

While these cars are very reliable, the parts are also kinda stupid expensive (you already saw some of that with a supra, but these parts are generally even worse in that regard).

Much of the work can be done yourself, there's a few limited things that only a dealership (or someone with a toyota techstream) can do... but even then a number of systems are significantly more complex than the older cars you've had in the past.

You can certainly still change your own brakes, fluids, water pump, etc... but when you run into one of the half dozen ECUs not getting on well with one of the hundreds of sensors it might be a bit tougher to easily diagnose/fix on your own.

If you decide to do it anyway then I suggest you find a car without nav in it... you won't have the $ to replace it when the screen fails anyway, and a $100 garmin does a better job.
Old 04-19-12, 01:00 PM
Ask92
Driver School Candidate

Thank you for all the help guys! I have already looked into insurance through Geico(who I have had for 4 years without issue) and the is350 came out CHEAPER than my current Celica, which really surprised me so I even called them to confirm. The only thing I can attribute it to is the celica being a "sports car" and the 350 not?

Salvaged is just a word IMO as long as it was repaired properly and there is no frame damage. High mileage(Which I guess you guys consider 100k+?) does not matter AT ALL. Every single one of my Toyota's has had OVER 250k on it. My current celica has 254k on the original engine and still maintains perfect compression. I know a lexus may not last as long, but I think if they have had proper maintenance done they are good for AT LEAST 150,000 miles. IMO condition based on miles is almost a stereotype. A car with 20k miles can be worst than a car with 100k on it, its all about how it was maintained. Obviously with my preference being so "low" it will allow me to pick up a 350 for under 15.

These are the types of cars I am looking into:
http://newyork.craigslist.org/que/cto/2947607429.html
http://phoenix.craigslist.org/cph/cto/2923235557.html

I will be buying off craigslist, so any problems you may have with craigslist do not need to be posted. I know the risks, and I know the benefits. Nav is a want, NOT a need for me.

I suppose I did not mention I will keep at LEAST 2 grand in the bank as a "cushion" for the car. I will be selling the celica for a down payment, and possibly the truck if needed. I have a hefty amount sitting right now as I made a good amount selling the supra and buying a cheap celica, as well as saving up to get another supra as a weekend warrior. However after thinking it through I would much rather have a comfortable daily driver for college and pick up a supra after school so I can do it right. So in the end I will not be STRAPPED for money, at any point. I was in that situation with the supra, where if something broke I was going to be out of transportation for a few weeks or more, and I HATED that feeling and it will NOT happen again.

Last edited by Ask92; 04-19-12 at 01:11 PM.
Old 04-19-12, 01:12 PM
kyoso23
Lexus Test Driver

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Just keep in mind if you DO incur an issue, repairs could be pricey. Luckily the IS is a very reliable car, but with higher mileage things will be needed. If you're going to be stretching to afford one then wait it out.
Old 04-19-12, 01:17 PM
sleekbrian
Lexus Test Driver

Being 19 and in college myself, i feel like i should throw in my 2 cents. First off you should get an insurance quote and get an idea of the amount you will have to pay for insurance. Its going to be high. The IS is a reliable car, but when something goes wrong, repair costs can be unreasonably high. I've ran into my fair share of problems and they have costed me much more than i expected. Although it may be tempting, i wouldnt buy an IS if your doubting your financial situation. Your goal of buying a IS350 with nav for under 15k is unrealistic. You'll be buying a car that has ridiculously high milage or has other problems/bad history. You dont want to bother with those cars. If your parents are there to help you financially then buying IS350 in the 18,000 range would be more realistic. Thankfully my parents pay for my maintenance and insurance. All my money goes into mods. Personally, i wouldnt be able to sustain all the costs. I spend enough money just living as a college student.
Old 04-19-12, 01:25 PM
Ask92
Driver School Candidate

Yes I see everyone's point about fixes, but minus the ECU going crazy I cant foresee any cost over $2,000 as everything non electronic(not much lol) I can do myself and I have quite a few friends that have worked for, or work for Toyota as techs or salesmen so ill get a discount or very very cheap labor on the side for fixes. This is of course saying I will have a serious issue which seems pretty slim IMO.

Last edited by Ask92; 04-19-12 at 01:29 PM.
Old 04-19-12, 01:29 PM
calvin2376
Racer

As a person who has both bought and sold a few used cars through many different channels, both of those listings terrify me. The first for its brevity and lack of information (like they just want you to call so they can try and sweet talk you into looking past some issue), and the second....well I would never touch a salvage title. Who did the restoration? How well did they do it? How do you verify the quality of the work without tearing apart the car? (You can't). They also don't even list a year...?

Furthermore, your responding to the potential worry about repair costs by saying "I have $2,000 in the bank in case" is extremely worrisome. I'm not sure you fully grasp the cost of repairs on this car. Just off the top of my head, here are some general price ranges for repairs that are common on the 2IS, particularly higher-mileage ones:

Water pump - $1000+
Cam gear TSIB - $1600
Carbon build-up (250 only) - $1600
Nav replacement - $2000

Someone on CL just posted they had a coolant pipe leak that was going to cost $2600.

Some of those things you might be able to do or at least address yourself - some have had luck taking apart the nav screen and re-soldering as opposed to fully replacing. But the cam gear issue I doubt most anyone other than an auto mechanic could take on, nor is it one you'd want to be the first on.

So your "cushion" for the car might be used up in one trip.

I won't try and talk you out of it, but this really doesn't seem like the best financial decision. I love the IS350, couldn't be happier with it and wouldn't trade it for anything else. But I also have a CPO warranty through 125k miles, because regardless of how reliable it is, if one part fails it can cost thousands.
Old 04-19-12, 01:31 PM
calvin2376
Racer

Originally Posted by Ask92
Yes I see everyone's point about fixes, but minus the ECU going crazy I cant foresee any cost over $2,000 as everything non electronic(not much lol) I can do myself
Anything non-electronic? You have sat in one of these cars, right? EVERYTHING is electronic. There are sensors for everything. Honestly the most likely thing to fail on this car would actually be something electronic, due to the sheer number of electronic components.

Also, did you try getting an insurance quote on a SALVAGE 350?
Old 04-19-12, 01:46 PM
Ask92
Driver School Candidate

Yea Calvin hence me saying not much haha, but there are many electrical things I can do myself with the help of a scanner. No I have not run a salvaged 350 as far as insurance yet because I cannot find the VIN for one, but i cant imagine it will alter it enough to make it a problem. The 2k number was just a rough estimate thrown out as when the time comes ill have no idea what my financial standings will be, but it will be AT LEAST 2k. That money will be in its own account away from my day to day savings and checking account, mainly because as everyone including you have said, there are some things I will be forced to take the car to the shop to do, and I want to make sure I have a good chunk of the fee sitting. However there will not be many things I will be paying full rice for. My technical experience cars is very high with all kinds of cars. I work on my mothers '08 vue and dads 04 f250 deisel a lot(Yes they are obviously not a '06+ lexus but its not a 94 celica either) so I have SOMEWHAT of a feel for working on newer cars. Plus insane amounts working on older ones, I pulled, rebuilt, and modified the supra engine myself. None of my cars have ever seen a shop besides for alignment and paint.(Yes I know the Lexus is a whole other ball park).

Yes it is possible those ads are exactly what you say, or it is possible for them to be great deals. I have had COUNTLESS friends and family buy cars off craigslist without a single hiccup, its all about getting to know the seller and knowing and testing what you are buying IMO.

Last edited by Ask92; 04-19-12 at 01:50 PM.
Old 04-19-12, 02:03 PM
busdepot
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Ask92
Yea Calvin hence me saying not much haha, but there are many electrical things I can do myself with the help of a scanner. No I have not run a salvaged 350 as far as insurance yet because I cannot find the VIN for one, but i cant imagine it will alter it enough to make it a problem. The 2k number was just a rough estimate thrown out as when the time comes ill have no idea what my financial standings will be, but it will be AT LEAST 2k. That money will be in its own account away from my day to day savings and checking account, mainly because as everyone including you have said, there are some things I will be forced to take the car to the shop to do, and I want to make sure I have a good chunk of the fee sitting. However there will not be many things I will be paying full rice for. My technical experience cars is very high with all kinds of cars. I work on my mothers '08 vue and dads 04 f250 deisel a lot(Yes they are obviously not a '06+ lexus but its not a 94 celica either) so I have SOMEWHAT of a feel for working on newer cars. Plus insane amounts working on older ones, I pulled, rebuilt, and modified the supra engine myself. None of my cars have ever seen a shop besides for alignment and paint.(Yes I know the Lexus is a whole other ball park).

Yes it is possible those ads are exactly what you say, or it is possible for them to be great deals. I have had COUNTLESS friends and family buy cars off craigslist without a single hiccup, its all about getting to know the seller and knowing and testing what you are buying IMO.
I'm the same way as you. I have a 93 SC 400 that I do the work on myself and I'm pretty mechanically inclined. As others have mentioned, the amount of work you'll be able to do yourself is extremely limited to basic maintenance. The electronics in the car are extremely integrated and surprisingly complex. A repair to any integrated component will be expensive due the complexity of the systems on the car. I have a scanner too, it will work for topical things, but for a serious engine issue, you will be out of luck.

Salvaged cars can be a bargain, or a nightmare. That's why they're sold at such a discount; Risk. You're familiar with cars, so you know this. These cars are not written off for piddly repairs. Consider this: I had my car broken into last summer and the total damage came to around $12,500 to fix everything (scuffed leather, door panels, scuffed trim, the window, the door's key proximity sensor, and the glove box door). That job wasn't even close to write-off territory. So, if you're finding a salvaged IS350 for under $15k, I would be extremely weary of it. I can guarantee there's been some serious frame damage or something else that has been permanently altering for the car. I'm certain that any CL members who have had bigger accidents can vouch. While I understand that everyone's financial situation is different, I wouldn't go near a $15k IS350 because of the risk associated with it. Wait until you make some money this summer and save up for a proper one or find a car that's less of a potential time-bomb.

Last edited by busdepot; 04-19-12 at 02:07 PM.
Old 04-19-12, 02:05 PM
codenko
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I agree with everything everyone said above. It STILL is a toyota, and it DOES come with the realibitliy of being one....but if one major item thing breaks, you're in for a costly fix.

I do however, know where you're coming from..I'm only 20, in college, and I bought my 08 IS250 Premium with navi for around 24,000 OTD with navi and 25k on the clock. I make decent money but my car is still under warranty. If one of these "major item" issues were to pop up after my warranty ends (in may...knock on wood) I'd probably end up selling the car and getting something different...

BTW, The only way I was able to get my car at that price is because I'm an auto broker and I have a dealer license. High mileage IS's come up all the time and auction and I'd be willing to help a fellow college student out depending on where you in the CA....shoot me a PM if you want more info. I just searched for one and found an IS with navi and 52k for $21 BIN.

So it's probably possible to get a higher mileage ISx50 for the amount of cash you want to spend, without having to resort to a salvage titled vehicle. I'd stay away from those IMO.

EDIT: Just to give you a idea of what a salvage vehicle looks like before fixed up and sold:
Another "Should I buy a 2is" thread.-hpklj.png

This is going for BIN $9950...it'll probably be sold for 9k, fixed for 2-3k and sold for 16-17k since it only has 35k miles.

Last edited by codenko; 04-19-12 at 02:26 PM.
Old 04-19-12, 03:47 PM
rookieIS
Lexus Champion

i'd rather buy one with high mileage but whatever you do, dont buy a salvage car.

on a side note, there are several members here who goes to SFSU, you will see them once in a while including myself!
Old 04-19-12, 05:01 PM
p0lo8
Pole Position

I was in the same boat as you. I am a 20 year old broke college student and bought an 350 with 113k on the clock and accident free. Coming from 2002 honda civic coupe my insurance cost did not change at all.
As far as reliability i did not have any issues at all, just did regular maintenance like spark plugs, serpentine belt, brake pads. As long as you are able to do maintenance work by yourself or know somebody who can for cheap i think you gonna be alright.
Just do your homework, look at what has been done to the car and if it was well maintained. Personally i wouldn't buy a salvage car.

Quick Reply: Another "Should I buy a 2is" thread.