GS - 4th Gen (2013-2020) Discussion about the 2013 and up GS models

Open windows/moon roof via wireless remote?

Old 04-19-12, 12:56 AM
jedimaster
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Open windows/moon roof via wireless remote?

According to owner's manual (pg 114), windows and moon roof can be opened by press and hold the unlock button. This feature can only be programmed by Lexus dealer according to owner's manual. I asked my dealer and they could only program to work with key, not unlock button. Has anyone tried programming the unlock button?
Old 04-19-12, 05:36 AM
bigblack06

Received 315 Likes on 219 Posts

Huh? This has been a standard feature on all the GS models, weird they would make it a dealership option to program it.
Old 04-19-12, 05:46 AM
jj14
Lead Lap

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by jedimaster
I asked my dealer and they could only program to work with key, not unlock button. Has anyone tried programming the unlock button?
Yep - it works with the unlock button (I believe that is the default setting - press and hold the unlock button). Show the dealer the customization section of the manual
Old 04-19-12, 06:31 AM
Room4Tu
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by jj14
Yep - it works with the unlock button (I believe that is the default setting - press and hold the unlock button). Show the dealer the customization section of the manual
Interesting! I did not know this. That is awesome. Will give it a try later today.
Old 04-19-12, 06:47 AM
jedimaster
Driver

Originally Posted by jj14
Are you talking about 4GS? According to owner's manual, not only it is not default, only dealer can set this function.
Old 04-19-12, 06:52 AM
sydtoosic
Lexus Champion

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

Are you talking about 4GS? According to owner's manual, not only it is not default, only dealer can set this function.
correct. only the dealer can set this function. had mine done a week after i got the car once i realized i couldn't do it myself. the only thing i don't like about this function is that you can not close the windows with the key fob which IMO is pretty dumb. i was told it was a safety issue. press and hold the unlock button and the windows and moonroof open. to stop all you have to do is release the button. so you can open the window to any height, to stop the window at any time release the unlock button.

Last edited by sydtoosic; 04-19-12 at 06:56 AM. Reason: add text
Old 04-19-12, 06:56 AM
jedimaster
Driver

Originally Posted by sydtoosic
correct. only the dealer can set this function. had mine done a week after i got the car once i realized i couldn't do it myself. the only thing i don't like about this function is that you can not close the windows with the key fob which IMO is pretty dumb. i was told it was a safety issue.
Okay, I am going to bug my dealer.
Old 04-19-12, 06:56 AM
asoksevil
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I have that feature on my 2010 IS, so 4GS should have it as well.
Old 04-19-12, 07:04 AM
jedimaster
Driver

Originally Posted by asoksevil
I have that feature on my 2010 IS, so 4GS should have it as well.
This feature exists on first year 3GS . 2006 to be precise. But dealer has to set it.
Old 04-19-12, 07:37 AM
jj14
Lead Lap

You are right - according to the owner's manual, that is NOT the default. However, in the "Lexus personalized settings" papers that I received from the dealer, that is listed as the default! (and it worked that way when I took delivery of the car)... (but it is marked as a "dealer only" customization in this insert)

Not sure why it differs between the manual and the "Lexus personalized settings" papers, but regardless, the dealer should be able to change it for sure.
Old 04-19-12, 08:12 AM
mehran888
Advanced

Received 42 Likes on 32 Posts

Hey guys,

Out of curiousity, why do you guys like this? We have it on my wife's EX35, and frequently I find that the windows are rolled down when we don't want them. It's a pain as the key seems to accidentally get pressed and held in our pockets. I guess it's kind of nice in the summer to cool the car a bit - but I'd prefer to go with the security of knowing that it won't happen by accident.
Old 04-19-12, 08:18 AM
jj14
Lead Lap

My $0.02 - Here in TX, it gets pretty hot in the summers (triple digits - F). If the car is parked in a parking lot (say at a mall) in the afternoon, it gets incredibly hot inside. Opening the windows and sunroof while approaching the car lessens the 'heat wave' that hits you when you get into the car.

The button needs to be pressed for a few seconds continuously (while in range of the car) for this to work, so the likelihood of this happening by accident is low.
Old 04-19-12, 08:33 AM
jedimaster
Driver

Originally Posted by mehran888
Hey guys,

Out of curiousity, why do you guys like this? We have it on my wife's EX35, and frequently I find that the windows are rolled down when we don't want them. It's a pain as the key seems to accidentally get pressed and held in our pockets. I guess it's kind of nice in the summer to cool the car a bit - but I'd prefer to go with the security of knowing that it won't happen by accident.
Accident consideration is the reason why this setting needs to be done by the dealer. As someone pointed out this feature is very useful during hot summer.
Old 04-19-12, 10:01 AM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 102 Likes on 73 Posts

btw to close, you can hold the button on the door, you dont have to take the metal key out....
Old 04-19-12, 10:06 AM
asoksevil
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

This feature exists on first year 3GS . 2006 to be precise. But dealer has to set it.
In my case, dealer didn't have to set anything since you can actually set it up all by yourself. Just using the owner's manual and the key fob is enough :S

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Open windows/moon roof via wireless remote?