Performance Forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

Aristo JOBD Code/Live Data scanning. Greddy/Blitz Displays??

Search this Thread

Old 07-29-11, 08:54 AM
99 GS3
Lexus Champion

Received 32 Likes on 28 Posts
Default Aristo JOBD Code/Live Data scanning. Greddy/Blitz Displays??

Anyone had any luck with finding a Scanner/Reader that will successfully connect to the JDM Aristo VVTI Ecu? It is not OBDII and requires a JOBD scanner to connect.

The ELM327 usb chipsets are not compatible and I've read on other forums people that have tried various brands of handheld scanners that are advertised to work on asian vehicles, but will not connect. (I assume when advertised this way they just mean exported obdII asian vehicles)

The Blitz R-Vit and Greddy Informeter seem to connect ok from what I've read, but I can't get the details if they give the specific information I'm looking for.

Does anyone have either of these devices? The only two things I'm looking know is:

Does it just show a 'code count' (the # of mil's built up) or the actual mil code numbers?

And do they show O2 open/closed loop status and live O2 sensor voltage readings? (not just the AFR I know it can do that)

I'd hate to spend close to $500 on one of those 2 devices that may look cool, but won't show me the only 2 things I need it for.

Anyone know anything about this???

Last edited by 99 GS3; 07-29-11 at 09:10 AM.
Old 08-04-11, 10:03 AM
vanquish2
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm having the same problem...I would really like to know. I wonder if there are a couple wires that need moved around in the obd2 plug. How in the world do you check or clear codes if you can't hook up??!?!?!?!
Old 08-05-11, 09:15 AM
99 GS3
Lexus Champion

Moving the pins/wires don't have anything to do with it. The aristo is not obd2 compliant, it is jobd which is a totally different protocol.

It still flashes mil's like obd1 does here in the states that u can count and erase.

I know the blitz and greddy will connect, I just don't know the detail they will show.
Old 08-05-11, 09:37 AM
vanquish2
Rookie

I understand they are JOBD....but from what I see the JOBD uses the same plug. So in theory if you were to get a JOBD reader and be sure to have the correct wires in the correct pins in the OBD plug....it should work. No?
Old 08-05-11, 09:59 AM
99 GS3
Lexus Champion

The obd2 style connector was used for a lot of jobd and european eobd coded vehicles, but the protocol does not communicate. It doesn't have anything to do with repinning.

All that is needed is a jobd compatible scanner. The problem is the readers/scanners we can get in the states like the various ones on eBay may say jobd (I emailed the sellers on ebay who's listings claim to work and they all either never responded, or just stated something stupid like "if your japanese car supports obd2 it will for sure work" well duh? I could use an actron from autozone for that..), and the posts from people I've found that have bought and tried a few different ebay models on jdm ecu's report that it wouldn't connect. Most of the low cost Chinese made readers are using the same chipset, so most based on the same chips are essentially/functionally the same reader in different packaging.

It would be nice to find a low cost jobd scanner that is made In Japan, which I have found but the ones I've seen either are just a code reader not a data scanner or the device only displays Japanese language.

Otherwise spending a bit more and getting a greddy or blitz will work and are easy to find in the usa and will connect just fine, I just need the two answers before I buy. I don't care if those 2 are $500 if someone knows for sure it displays o2 voltage/status and code numbers not just the mil counts.

It just sucks for obd2 you can buy $80 scanners that are realtime, but jobd successfully connected low cost devices are hard to verify what model will work for sure. There are tons of honda/nissan related threads out there discussing the topic to no avail that I've been able to find.

Last edited by 99 GS3; 08-06-11 at 12:39 AM.
Old 08-05-11, 11:44 AM
vanquish2
Rookie

It does suck.....there has GOT to be someone overseas that has the solution. You can't tell me that everytime anything happens that they ALWAYS take it to a dealer. For that matter....if the dealer has means of doing it then there HAS to be a DIY version.....this isn't new technology.
Old 08-06-11, 12:36 AM
99 GS3
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by vanquish2
It does suck.....there has GOT to be someone overseas that has the solution. You can't tell me that everytime anything happens that they ALWAYS take it to a dealer. For that matter....if the dealer has means of doing it then there HAS to be a DIY version.....this isn't new technology.
They count the mil's just like we do for obd1. No need for the dealer on that one.

And yeah they buy something like a greddy or a blitz. They don't cost an arm and leg in the native market. We get raped buy the time these products get to us, and our dollar is **** to the rest of the world right now so the conversions don't work out in our favor either.

They show everything obd2 can monitor. Mainly what I don't know is if the JOBD protocol can report o2 voltage/loop status. If the protocol has that ability then surely those two scanners will show it.

Last edited by 99 GS3; 08-06-11 at 12:41 AM.
Old 08-06-11, 07:16 AM
vanquish2
Rookie

Ok maybe I'll spring for one. As for the o2 reading…just get a wideband. I've used one in the past and it had a hookup to a laptop that would give you everything including logging. That's what I plan on doing.
Old 08-06-11, 07:18 AM
vanquish2
Rookie

Oh yeah I forgot. Is there a way to clear the codes without disconnecting the battery? And do you have ANY idea where I could find the aristo pedal position sensor??? From what I've found it is only applicable to overseas aristo and supra.
Old 08-06-11, 07:58 AM
99 GS3
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by vanquish2
Ok maybe I'll spring for one. As for the o2 reading…just get a wideband. I've used one in the past and it had a hookup to a laptop that would give you everything including logging. That's what I plan on doing.
Uh, I have an innovate wideband. Not sure if you understand the need, I want to view the narrow band Closed loop o2 voltage readings to tune the car properly. A wide band just monitors your overall afr's and has nothing to do with the ecu trimming in closed loop which is what needs to be tuned. The wideband is required for tuning Open loop but that's not the issue here..
Old 08-06-11, 09:07 AM
vanquish2
Rookie

I know that some lexus have af sensors and o2s but I'm not sure about the aristo. Let me take a look when I get to the dealership on Monday. If it does have an o2 it should be as easy as tapping into that sensor. In theory once the engine is warm it wouldn't really be a factor. Right???
Old 08-06-11, 09:22 AM
99 GS3
Lexus Champion

The aristo only has 1 upstream sensor, same as a supra.

You've got it backwards, it goes closed loop once the engine warms up to operating temp. It opens again higher in the rpm range closer to full throttle.

Sure you can read the voltage by tapping into the sensor, but your not getting the rpm feedback from the ecu as to when it opens, this is the point of the scanner.
Old 08-06-11, 11:55 AM
vanquish2
Rookie

I'll give it to you. This is my first car with two sensors. With my old sr20 it simply wasn't a big issue due to only one sensor and a single controller/logger monitored everything. Matter of fact I never accessed that info from anywhere other then straight from the innovate. Why couldn't you just hookup to the other sensor and monitor it as well. I'm sure they offer a dual monitoring solution.
Old 08-06-11, 12:44 PM
99 GS3
Lexus Champion

It only has 1 upstream sensor. Any sensors after the cats don't do anything except monitor the condition of the cat. They can be removed and ignored completely and not affect the car's operation.

Again, what your not understanding is that simply monitoring the narrowband o2 or knowing the afr is not the goal, a dual input controller or any other way of looking at the sensor itself or the exhaust stream is not what we are talking about, I am talking about monitoring the ECU's loop@rpm status, which is why communicating via obd2/jobd is needed.

Last edited by 99 GS3; 08-06-11 at 12:50 PM.
Old 08-06-11, 12:54 PM
vanquish2
Rookie

Oooooooh. Sorry. I get u now! Sorry. Recovering from a hangover. Maybe that's why I'm dense. So have you seen or know of someone personally that has used one of the two readers you mentioned or are you just going in what you have heard? I would hate to fork the $$$ over then have another worthless plastic box. Still pretty bummed my ot-2 doesn't work. Grrrr

Quick Reply: Aristo JOBD Code/Live Data scanning. Greddy/Blitz Displays??