GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

Clicking sound when braking

Search this Thread

Old 02-12-12, 09:58 AM
mroctober7
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Clicking sound when braking

I hear a clicking sound when braking coming from the front passenger side. Any ideas what it can be?
Old 02-12-12, 10:07 AM
850Lexus
Pole Position

I have a clicking from my passenger side as well but I have narrowed it down to my wheel bearings. Are you sure it is only when your braking? Braking does make mine louder due to the stress it adds to the bearings while stopping I assume.

I left the car off and put in neutral and rolled it about 10 ft to figure it was my bearings.

I do remember something about the clips on the brakes causing issues but can't remember exactly.
Old 02-12-12, 10:17 AM
deejay
Driver

Would you be more descriptive on the clicking? Year and mileage of your car? Any idea on how your suspension and chassis parts are doing (like ball joints)?

the one instance i had clicking was my front drivers rotor was ever so slightly shifting when braking right after shifting into reverse or into drive from reverse, if that makes any sense. I used to torque down both my stock and aftermarket wheels to 75 ft/lb. I now torque them to 80 and that made my rotor shifting go away.

Edit: This is all after replacing my lower ball joints and using new rotors

Last edited by deejay; 02-12-12 at 10:25 AM. Reason: incl. the fact that this was after doing my ball joints
Old 02-12-12, 02:24 PM
jolsamuel
Driver School Candidate

If you narrowed the sound to the calipers, it might be that the clips that hold the pads are kinda loose and when you hit the brakes it causes the pad to travel up or down the mount thus causing sound. Or maybe the sliders pins on the caliper are seized(out of lubrication), that happened to me and its no fun, i had to buy a new caliper bracket because one of the pins was welded in the hole from all the heat it took and i could not take it out, instead i broke it off leaving the part useless.
Old 02-12-12, 04:26 PM
chicov8
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

is that clicking sound only when you braking? or maybe when you drive over bumps? that would mean ball joints (very comon issue on gs)
Old 02-12-12, 08:01 PM
GS714
Pole Position

Default Should we boycott Toyota for Their Persuit of Perfection

Clunking sound happen when over, speed bump, slow left/right turning, stop and reverse while turning, and especially around Orange County CA, in Little Saigon where we have a lot of major intersection when groved for channeling rainwater to the drain/ocean. I heard it all LOL surprisingly I only replaced Lower Ball Joint and all fours struts with KYB GR-2 and all the cluncking went away expect for one. That is stop and reversing. I think it is the brake pad aligning with the front right rotor. I haven't bother with the wheel bearing yet. (and only the front right/passanger corner) You can read all about clunking noise all over the forum and theories. Oh I almost forget, I have to put back on the original two front strut mounts. Cause KYB strut mount was contributing to the clunking and I can't return it to KYB outlet. Worst internet buying experience ever. "Just Suspension.Gone" The price is good but the service is somewhat in need of improvement.

Last edited by GS714; 02-12-12 at 08:23 PM. Reason: spelling and grammer check LOL
Old 02-13-12, 05:34 AM
mroctober7
Driver School Candidate

The car is a 99 GS400 with about 147k miles on it. I purchased the car about 18 months ago. The previous owner who had it about 6 months said he changed the ball joints. So I hope thats not it. Im not hearing the sound when going over bumps only when I hit the brakes hard. If I press the brakes slightly I wont hear it.
Old 02-13-12, 08:24 PM
GS714
Pole Position

Default I remember that feeling when I first bought the car

Originally Posted by mroctober7
The car is a 99 GS400 with about 147k miles on it. I purchased the car about 18 months ago. The previous owner who had it about 6 months said he changed the ball joints. So I hope thats not it. Im not hearing the sound when going over bumps only when I hit the brakes hard. If I press the brakes slightly I wont hear it.
Have you give these a tried yet?
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sus...and-facts.html

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/gs-...w-turns-2.html

There are lot of info in here. Just don't rush into spending money spree. I am new in here too BTW. If I may. check your caster/trailing arm and all bushing first. I changed the lower ball joint and that fixed the problem. I replaced the strut for smoother and firmer ride. I OEM strut was rocking the car at 96K miles. I didn't regret a bit. You can stick with OEM or KYB. My GR-2. I think sewell and OEM strut is a better deal then KYB Outlet or just suspension.com Think twice before buying anything from JustSuspension.com I said dot gone.