LS - 3rd Gen (2001-2006) Discussion topics related to the flagship Lexus LS430

Add coolant to radiator or reservoir?

Search this Thread

Old 02-10-12, 08:10 PM
bcorey
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Add coolant to radiator or reservoir?

I checked my fluids last night and realized that my coolant reservoir was empty - I then checked my radiator and could not see any fluid - I purchased the Red coolant (01-03) and mixed 50/50 with distilled water then proceeded to fill the reservoir to the fill line (engine was cold). I then drove for about 15 minutes, came home and checked the levels and it was still right at the full line - shouldn't it be lower or should I have added coolant mixture to the radiator as well - if so, how much do I add to the radiator?

My thought was that the level would have gone down and I would simply refill the reservoir again...

Thanks for your help

Last edited by bcorey; 02-10-12 at 08:47 PM. Reason: better description
Old 02-11-12, 12:13 PM
AlexusAnja

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default leak

Originally Posted by bcorey
I checked my fluids last night and realized that my coolant reservoir was empty - I then checked my radiator and could not see any fluid - I purchased the Red coolant (01-03) and mixed 50/50 with distilled water then proceeded to fill the reservoir to the fill line (engine was cold). I then drove for about 15 minutes, came home and checked the levels and it was still right at the full line - shouldn't it be lower or should I have added coolant mixture to the radiator as well - if so, how much do I add to the radiator?

My thought was that the level would have gone down and I would simply refill the reservoir again...

Thanks for your help
If you were dry in both places, then you have a leak somewhere. To full, you have to fill the radiator up to the opening, then fill the reservoir. The lowering of fluid in the radiator creates suction of fluid from the reservoir. If your radiator was dry, then there is no suctioning effect so no fluid in radiator. Hopefully nothing got overheated.
Old 02-11-12, 02:09 PM
bcorey
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for the reply - I live in AZ and I'm guessing that due to the heat and me not checking for quite some time, it's low in both places (hopefully). I'm not sure why but I completely forgot to check the coolant level until just the other day. Again, thanks for the reply
Old 02-12-12, 07:28 AM
jayclapp
Lexus Champion

Received 104 Likes on 85 Posts

I also live in Arizona, but never a coolant problem. My guess is that you definitely have a leak somewhere. Suggest you have it checked out before doing much driving.
Old 04-01-12, 08:21 PM
Bocatrip
Lead Lap

Received 269 Likes on 226 Posts

Originally Posted by jayclapp
I also live in Arizona, but never a coolant problem. My guess is that you definitely have a leak somewhere. Suggest you have it checked out before doing much driving.
I have my 01 LS430 for 2 years and have put on about 7-8,000 miles. I have noticed the coolant level for the first time is about 2-3 inches under the full line of the reservoir. I have white stains all around the reservoir only and nothing ever leaks to the floor pan or anywhere else. I have asked around for the last year about the staining on the reservoir and have been told it is normal for our cars and it is caused by the red coolant that is used. I had the car pressurized numerous times with no signs of leakage. It will probably require just of few ounces to top it up again and was wondering if anyone else notices the staining on their reservoirs Can I get the coolant at Toyota and what type is it called?.
Old 04-02-12, 07:56 AM
jayclapp
Lexus Champion

I must admit that I have never seen the coolant reservoir on my car, as it is beneath the plastic cover. I have never bothered to even look at it as I depend on my dealer to check all fluids when the oil is changed.

I did just check my 04 manual and it says that the coolant level is satisfactory if it is between the "FULL" and "LOW" lines on the reservoir. If the level is low, add the coolant and bring the level up to the "FULL" line.
Old 04-02-12, 03:14 PM
Bocatrip
Lead Lap

I must admit that I have never seen the coolant reservoir on my car, as it is beneath the plastic cover. I have never bothered to even look at it as I depend on my dealer to check all fluids when the oil is changed.

I did just check my 04 manual and it says that the coolant level is satisfactory if it is between the "FULL" and "LOW" lines on the reservoir. If the level is low, add the coolant and bring the level up to the "FULL" line.
There are 2 plastic screw clips, one on each end and the the plastic cover comes right off. However, you can see the reservoir and it's level without removing the cover by looking on top and behind the cover.
Old 04-02-12, 06:54 PM
GLIDESUL
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Same stains here. I went to lexus dealer brought some red coolant and mix with water drained radiator then fill it up, I check it weekly to make sure its topped off. (Off topic) Next is trans fluid in pan only and reseal it up. I have a 02 and they sold me a sealant insteed of a gasket for the tranny pan, I thought they had gasket but I was wrong.
Old 04-03-12, 07:15 AM
Bocatrip
Lead Lap

[QUOTE=GLIDESUL;7131629]Same stains here. I went to lexus dealer brought some red coolant and mix with water drained radiator then fill it up, I check it weekly to make sure its topped off.

Thanks Glidesul! I knew I was not alone with the reservoir staining. I'm now off to Toyota to pick up some red coolant. Thanks again.
Old 04-04-12, 06:10 PM
Bocatrip
Lead Lap

Picked up some red coolant and added to my reservoir after mixing with distilled water. It only took about 10 ounces after 2 years of usage. The staining on the outside of the reservoir does cause some coolant loss over time so it's definitely a good idea for owners who do alot of miles to check their coolant level regularly.
Old 04-04-12, 08:07 PM
jay33
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have a 2002 with the same dry coolant stains on resevoir container. i just keep an eye on it and top off resevoir when necessary. I use the Toyota pre-diluted 50-50 pink coolant. It's alot easier than buying the red coolant and diluting it yourself.
Old 04-04-12, 09:01 PM
Bocatrip
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by jay33
I have a 2002 with the same dry coolant stains on resevoir container. i just keep an eye on it and top off resevoir when necessary. I use the Toyota pre-diluted 50-50 pink coolant. It's alot easier than buying the red coolant and diluting it yourself.
My 01 came with red coolant when new and has it now. My Lexus tech has advised me to keep the coolant consistant and not to mix the red and pink. I just add a small amount of the red to a cup and mix with distilled water. It's the first time I needed to top up in 2 years. That stuff is expensive at $22 a gallon!
Old 04-05-12, 11:00 AM
jayclapp
Lexus Champion

Okay, you guys shamed me into actually looking at my reservoir. I even took the plastic shourd off so I could see better and add fluid. My reservoir was empty, but radiator had fluid. No visible evidence of any leak at top of reservoir. Added a couple of cups of water and it has remained at that level after driving for a couple of days.
Old 04-05-12, 08:25 PM
Bocatrip
Lead Lap

Okay, you guys shamed me into actually looking at my reservoir. I even took the plastic shourd off so I could see better and add fluid. My reservoir was empty, but radiator had fluid. No visible evidence of any leak at top of reservoir. Added a couple of cups of water and it has remained at that level after driving for a couple of days.
Did you have any evidence of staining on the sides of the reservoir? Did you use distilled water when adding?
Old 04-06-12, 07:41 AM
jayclapp
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Bocatrip
Did you have any evidence of staining on the sides of the reservoir? Did you use distilled water when adding?
No evidence of staining. And yes, I just used distilled water. Not that concerned as I live in the desert where it rarely freezes.

Quick Reply: Add coolant to radiator or reservoir?