RX - 3rd Gen (2010-2015) Discussion topics related to the 2010 - 2015 RX350 and RX450H models
Old 12-15-14, 12:43 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:

Browse all: Interior
Print Wikipost

Homelink Not Working with Chamberlain/LiftMaster Security+ 2.0

Old 01-03-12, 10:42 AM
Jerome
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Homelink Not Working with Chamberlain/LiftMaster Security+ 2.0

Anyone successfully program the Homelink buttons in 2011 RX350 with the new Security+ 2.0 used in Chamberlain/LiftMaster current garage door openers? We had a Chamberlain 3/4 belt drive door opener installed (model # 349544) from Lowes. We followed the directions from owner's manual and Homelink website but could not get the Lexus's Homelink button to program. We were able to program the Homelink button with the garage door remote but to program the same Homelink button with garage door opener head unit is a big NO go!!! Very exhausting and frustrating efforts for several hours. We called Lexus but they want to diagnostics, which we plan to do for the next scheduled visit.

The garage opener was manufactured in Sept. 2011.
Old 01-03-12, 01:21 PM
DunWkg
Racer

Received 27 Likes on 23 Posts

Need to explain a little more of what you've done. From what I read you're trying to program one button twice???

Thanks, someone here can help you out.
Old 01-03-12, 02:09 PM
InRBigness
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I could not get the opener to sync with the homelink directly. I had to take an opener and hold it by the homeling button and sync those two together which then allows me to open the garage door with the button in the car.

To me it seems like it is a translation issue. It is like the A can not understand C but A can hear B and B can talk to C so the information is transfered from A to C via B if that makes sense.
Old 01-03-12, 02:16 PM
Jerome
Driver School Candidate

The garage opener has rolling codes so you have to learn the signal from the garage opener remote then use that same Homelink to learn the code/signal from the garage opener head unit. We've done numerous times with the old garage opener with the Security+ 1.0 from the LiftMaster openers. The new generation of garage openers use Security+ 2.0 software, at least for our Chamberlain unit. I've searched and found other users in other vehicles older than 2011 with similar problems. But I did not expect our 2011 to have the same problem as Homelink corp said the 2011 Lexus RX350 should have the Homelink 4.0 software implemented which is compatible with Security+ 2.0.

Last edited by Jerome; 01-06-12 at 07:27 PM.
Old 01-03-12, 03:27 PM
Sfcyclist
Driver

Not sure if our chamerlain is 2.0 but it's only about 3 years old. I have no issues. The tricky part was car learning the code. If remember right, I had to hold the button longer than noted to get the flashes noted in procedure.
Old 01-03-12, 03:29 PM
Sfcyclist
Driver

Actually I forget I just added a recent code from rental and it's a brand new chamberlain. No issues.
Old 01-03-12, 07:05 PM
DunWkg
Racer

Jerome, forgive me for asking more questions. Did you erase all the HomeLink buttons in the car before starting, just in case they had already been programmed?

You took the door opener remote to the car and had the car learn from the remote and then you pushed the yellow learn button on the opener and within 30 seconds you pushed the HomeLink button in the car three times getting the correct number of blinks of the LED in the car so the opener could learn the codes from the car?
Old 01-03-12, 07:39 PM
Jerome
Driver School Candidate

DunWkg,

Yes, I cleared out the Homelink buttons by pressing the two outside buttons for 30 seconds or more, and then verified all the buttons are cleared by observing the slow flashing light. Next I took the Chamberlain garage opener remote into the car and tried several methods to learn the remote signal: 1) press a Homelink button and remote button simultaneously until the light on the Homelink blinks faster; 2) press a Homelink button for 15 secs then while still holding Homelink button press button on garage opener remote until the Homelink light flashes faster; 3) while holding a Homelink button pressed, press the garage remote for 2 seconds, do this until Homelink button light flashes from slow to fast. With method 3, the Lexus Homelink was able to learn the remote signal by verifying the slow to fast blinking Homelink light. Method 1 worked sometimes too but not as often as method 3. The Homelink button now will flash rapidly when the button is pressed, indicating that the garage door opener has rolling codes After the Homelink button is learned, I pressed the learn button on the garage opener head unit while the garage door is up, and run back to the car within 5 secs and press the Homelink that was just programmed for 2 seconds, doing this 3,4,5, etc., times to learn the rolling code from the garage door opener head unit. After several attempts the garage door opener does NOT click twice or flashes it lights to indicate the programming was successful. I'll also tried resetting all the garage door opener remotes and re-programming the remotes. Re-programming was a piece of cake with the original garage door opener remotes.

Good to know that 2012 RX Homelink works with Security+ 2.0 garage door openers (if in fact Security+ 2.0). Now, what about 2011 RX owners with 2011 or newer garage door openers with Security+ 2.0.

Last edited by Jerome; 01-06-12 at 07:31 PM. Reason: Add more comments.
Old 01-03-12, 07:52 PM
salimshah

Received 991 Likes on 896 Posts

Let me make an attempt to write the steps.

1. Delete any pre-program that your RX button may have . [follow instructions in RX manual]
(this step is not essential, but do it if you have problems).

2. Confirm the garage remote (not your RX) can operate the garage door.

3. Drive some distance away from your garage (out of range of the garage door) and teach/learn the transmitter frequency to RX. Bring the remote next to the RX ... fast blink ... [follow instructions in the RX manual.]

If there are no rolling codes, you are done. If your garage-door-opener has rolling codes, proceed to 4

4. Pull out the manual of the garage door. Look for instructions on how to program an additional remote (hint if you have wireless key pad the steps would be there). Typically you will need a step ladder and would need to press a button and within some time send signal from the new_remote (new_remote is the button you programmed in step3.). [follow instructions in garage_door_manual]

Salim
The following users liked this post:
Dece (08-07-20)
Old 01-03-12, 07:54 PM
afpj
Instructor

Received 71 Likes on 56 Posts

Just an oddball thought, but did you try putting the car in a different position in the garage? Do you have fluorescent lights or LED lights in or around the garage that are on at the time you're trying to program? LED's and CFL's can emit a significant amount of EMI to interfere with the weak transmitter in the Homelink system. My neighbor thought someone was actually jamming his Homelink until he discovered it was the new LED eave lights he put in over the garage door. That made him take off his foil hat finally...
Old 01-03-12, 08:43 PM
DunWkg
Racer

Jerome, more questions....did you erase after each of your tests, before finally picking a method you liked?

After successfully teaching the HomeLink button in the car and when you pushed and held it, did the HomeLink LED blink rapidly for two seconds, then remain on solid?
Old 01-03-12, 09:32 PM
DunWkg
Racer

Video on HomeLink

http://www.homelink.com/program.php
Old 01-04-12, 12:03 AM
Sfcyclist
Driver

Originally Posted by DunWkg
Jerome, more questions....did you erase after each of your tests, before finally picking a method you liked?

After successfully teaching the HomeLink button in the car and when you pushed and held it, did the HomeLink LED blink rapidly for two seconds, then remain on solid?
This is the most important step.
Old 01-04-12, 09:06 AM
Jerome
Driver School Candidate

afpj,

Good suggestion as I do have the fluorescent bulbs installed. I will take them off today and retry.

DunWkg,

Yes, I reset the Homelink buttons each time to learn from the garage door opener remote.
After successfully programming the desired Homelink button, pressing the button
would cause the light to blink rapidly for 2 seconds and then turns solid light. This indicates the garage door opener is a rolling code device. So the next step is to learn from the garage door opener
head unit.

This
http://www.homelink.com/program.php
and official Lexus owner's manual and various sources were tried.

I'm hoping it's the interference from the fluorescent light bulbs. They are everywhere, 5 of them, in my garage.
Old 01-04-12, 10:06 AM
rxsuperman
Driver

Jerome, Since you know that you can always program your homelink buttons using your remote, why don't you just always use your remote if you need to reprogram the homelink buttons....not a big deal assuming you don't often have to reprogram the homelink buttons. I just installed top of the line Chainberlain garage door openers (with backup batteries) 6 months ago and I have not had to reprogram my 2011 RX350 homelink buttons since I initially program them using the remote.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Homelink Not Working with Chamberlain/LiftMaster Security+ 2.0