IS F (2008-2014) Discussion topics related to the IS F model

ISF full exhausts - Joe Z vs ISS vs Borla

Search this Thread

Old 01-16-12, 07:37 PM
anxiouz
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default ISF full exhausts - Joe Z vs ISS vs Borla

I've read at least 30 threads and watched 20+ youtube vids of various ISF exhausts and honestly, most sound 90% like the engine. So it's tough for me to tell which exhaust I'd prefer.

Basically I dig "meaty" and "deep aggressive". The 08+ STI exhaust from Perrin is hands-down the best I've ever heard/owned (on my '11 WRX -- my vid). And I've been through a good 8-9 exhausts on the 2 Evo 8's I've owned. The Cobb ruled the roost there above Borla, Tanabe, Magnaflow, et al. But the Subie Cobb was no-question the best by far!

So I'm having trouble seeing much of a dif between the Joe Z and ISS on the interwebs. I have read that the ISS is louder or has drone on the hwy but I can't see/hear that from what has been posted.

Has anyone here tried or experienced both? Or even add the Borla full cat-back into the mix... I don't want drone...but really don't mind volume. But I've done intake/exhaust on every car I've owned but the ISF with it's "rarity" makes research difficult.

I like what I see with the light Ti Greddy but holy crap that's expensive! I'm in the < $2k installed ball-park. Sound is more important than weight and performance (this car has enough already) but whp gains are always welcome of course.

This is a 5l v8 so it needs to sing! But not drone when I need to cruise with the wife.

I'm in the OC 92808 if anyone is nearby and would be up for me coming by to hear their setup! Drinks or lunch on me!

There is a gray ISF that lives literally next door to my grandparents-in-law(the Cozads) just off Fairview and the 405 and I noticed the ISS on that car if you're on here.

Last edited by anxiouz; 01-16-12 at 07:48 PM.
Old 01-16-12, 07:49 PM
djhydro
Driver

From what I understand.. The sound of exhaust will never be justified in videos. I am with you.. I would like to hear them in person.. I have heard the ISS that my boy has and its def a loud and got deep meaty sound to it... My boy who has an 09 m3 spots him every now and then in local streets since they live in the same town and he says it makes him a bit shaky just hearing it..

Good luck bud..
Old 01-16-12, 08:14 PM
Lexura1414
Lexus Test Driver

Received 40 Likes on 31 Posts

Cali Joe Z and ISS owners, please come out and help him. Anxiuoz, please post your findings when somebody heeds your call. Thanks in advance.
Old 01-17-12, 09:18 AM
Evil Teo
Lead Lap

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

I agree the videos don't do it justice, but the reason for that is that most consumer camcorders have crappy mics and are mono. i think my video is as close as you can get with the actual sound from both exhaust using a camcorder or camera. i wouldn't say its perfect but i think its good to use to compare. i heard both in person. both sounds very good. since you want no drone, i recommend the DES ISSForge exhaust or the Borla. The ISSForge track exhaust is just very raw sounding. Very loud and raspy. It unleashes the V8 beast. Joe Z is what I picked. Not to say that it is the best but I think its best suited for this car dual personality. when you want the smooth sound its there for daily commutes and when you want the V8 to come alive, it will roar. im sure u will see others chime in. good luck in ur decision.
Old 01-17-12, 10:40 AM
poorbong
Intermediate

Received 19 Likes on 13 Posts

ISS definately sounds mean when you just hear it the first time and/or when you start the engine. it's not for daily driving. To me the droning was way too much to handle anymore than 3-5 miles drive. I'm not sure about their new system that they came out. I will give Joe Z a try when I have some spare money to spend.
If you want attention ISS definately will get people's attention.....just hope not the wrong ones hihi
Old 01-17-12, 10:41 AM
fleadog99
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

For the ISS Forged Exhaust systems, I can tell you that the QES (track system) is loud at all RPMs. You do get a significant drone cruising from 1800 - 2100 RPMs. My wife would NOT ride in the car with me as she is prone to complex migraines. Before I switched to the street version, a local guy had it and I took my wife for a test drive. The local guy had headers, intake plus the street version. She said it was so much better and agreed to ride with me now. I since replaced the track version with the street version and it is still aggressive but no more drone in those cruising RPMs. It is truly the best of both worlds. I did not notice any performance drop either. Of course I have never taken it on a dyno, so just going by my butt dyno. I have K&N intake and ISS street version exhaust. I also have the TOMs Throttle controller as well. This seems to always put the rpms in that 2000 range. My wife enjoys riding in the car with NO COMPLAINTS. Happy Wife = Happy Life.
Old 01-17-12, 11:19 AM
mugenh22a4
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If you're shooting for a gutteral STI-like sound, you won't get it from a V8 engine. Those sounds are characteristic of engines with flat cylinder layouts.
Old 01-17-12, 11:42 AM
Joe Z
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1,058 Likes on 586 Posts
Lightbulb

Welcome..!!

Since you're in the OC.. You are more than welcome to meet up with me and listen to our PTS Exhaust System live & in person..

You're also welcome to Video Record it as you see fit..

Nothing on the internet will sound like hearing it in person.. Especially, if you get to hear it being driven..

Best Regards

~ Joe Z
Old 01-17-12, 12:10 PM
dinardalvi
Intermediate

Received 5 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by mugenh22a4
If you're shooting for a gutteral STI-like sound, you won't get it from a V8 engine. Those sounds are characteristic of engines with flat cylinder layouts.
Not just flat cylinder but the boxer engines have an awesome sound. Just try a flat V4 Civic VS a V4 Boxer, Boxer will always sound more "cannot explain the sound in words"
Old 01-17-12, 12:14 PM
SeanGTS
Lead Lap

Sure you can, sounds like a boat.
Old 01-17-12, 01:01 PM
LiLS
Lexus Champion

Which has a deeper tone Joez or Iss? Has anyone heard that hks
Video I wan mine to sound like that
Old 01-17-12, 01:31 PM
dinardalvi
Intermediate

Received 5 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by SeanGTS
Sure you can, sounds like a boat.
like it
Old 01-17-12, 03:10 PM
anxiouz
Lead Lap

Thanks for all of the input. My comments about the Boxer were more just that I really like that sound, not that I was expecting something similar for the ISF. I think the ISF sounds nice as-is but I'd dig more volume and perf gains are just icing on the cake.

Joe Z - Thanks! Meeting up would be awesome. There's no substitute for hearing something in person. I'll PM you to see when you might be out and about so that I can meet you. I really appreciate that.

On a side note, if taken fully apart would the stock exhaust fit in the car/trunk for transport back home? Or would I need to borrow a friend's truck? The stock y-pipe piece looks like it's a single huge unit that may not fit.
Old 01-17-12, 03:14 PM
Meraki Autoworks
Your #1 Lexus Vendor

Received 667 Likes on 589 Posts

hey joe z what part of CA are you in? area code?
Old 01-17-12, 03:14 PM
Joe Z
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1,058 Likes on 586 Posts
Lightbulb

Originally Posted by anxiouz
Thanks for all of the input. My comments about the Boxer were more just that I really like that sound, not that I was expecting something similar for the ISF. I think the ISF sounds nice as-is but I'd dig more volume and perf gains are just icing on the cake.

Joe Z - Thanks! Meeting up would be awesome. There's no substitute for hearing something in person. I'll PM you to see when you might be out and about so that I can meet you. I really appreciate that.

On a side note, if taken fully apart would the stock exhaust fit in the car/trunk for transport back home? Or would I need to borrow a friend's truck? The stock y-pipe piece looks like it's a single huge unit that may not fit.
No Problem at all...!!

The 2 bulky stock exhaust sections can be squeezed into the IS-F, but it's clearly NOT worth damaging the interior..
I highly recommend an suv or pick up truck to move it around.

Our system easily fits in the trunk, since it breaks down into 4 easy to manage sections..

Regards,

~ Joe Z

Quick Reply: ISF full exhausts - Joe Z vs ISS vs Borla