SC- 1st Gen (1992-2000)

Cigarette lighter replacement DIY + Pics

Old 01-11-12, 01:36 PM
Kalogerus
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Cigarette lighter replacement DIY + Pics

I replaced the oem lighter with an aftermarket one as it stopped working properly and lots of times I cant find a light and I get stuck without one till I reach my destination. Not good!

1- Take out the center console

2- Unplug the 12v+ connector and twist the bulb and get it out

3- Remove the nut on the lighter and disassemble it

4- Unscrew the round metal frame on top around the center and pull the old lighter out, its a thin nut.

5- New lighter with my old cadillac plug, I bought this without knowing whether it will fit thus I had to do some customization to make it fit. Be sure to get the correct one

6- unscrew the silver metal frame around the lighter and screw it back in with the ashtray mount in between, the new lighter came with the ground mounted on it, wont fit so i took it off.

7- Put the oem frame back on, it wont fit right so I had to customize it a bit, just make sure its firm on the lighter so the connectors dont disconnect. Also I had to make the 12v+ connector a little smaller to fit into the connector.

8- Put everything back together, plug the bulb and the 12v+ connector.

9- Try the lighter

10- Phone charger

Boom now any kind of lighter fits perfectly in there as well as any kind of charger.
Old 01-11-12, 03:15 PM
O. L. T.
Keeper of the light

Received 335 Likes on 221 Posts

I tell you what I want..... in the IS300 you can purchase an ashtray that is a felt lined coin box instead and put your phone in there without the hard ashtray scratching it up. I am fabricating my ashtray to be more phone friendly like the IS300 coin box. I'm looking to remove the cig lighter completely and put a tub in there. Move the cig plug to the armrest console like in the IS300.

If you smoke though or use that cig plug you need it without other arrangements so good work.
Old 01-11-12, 05:02 PM
Kalogerus
Lexus Test Driver

As for the ashtray I pulled mine out since day one and had no trouble scratching the phone at all. I cant wait to see yours fabricated .

This is a temporary fix for me, I'm looking into hard wiring a 3 socket plug with a usb charger (from amazon and such) into the armrest along with a coin holder and completely remove the oem for the sub controller and use the ashtray for the phone again
Old 01-12-12, 09:52 PM
KahnBB6

Received 1,216 Likes on 854 Posts

Nice fix!

Last month I pulled out the nearly identical cigarette lighter from my father's 1994 Camry and found that it looked almost exactly the same as the one in my SC. There is a writeup on one of the Toyota forums with pictures that shows how to remove a single washer to bypass a built-in fuse on the unit. That's an alternative fix but the next best thing is what you did by replacing the whole lighter assembly. Thanks for posting this!

When you figure out your armrest USB port charger I hope you make a writeup for that as well. I have a panel set up in my console for an auxiliary audio port and I have all this extra room for either a DC port or USB charging port. So far I haven't wanted to draw more power from the factory DC port. I've been looking at other wiring to draw +12V and ground.

Last edited by KahnBB6; 01-12-12 at 09:56 PM.
Old 01-13-12, 06:20 PM
Kalogerus
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by KahnBB6
Nice fix!

Last month I pulled out the nearly identical cigarette lighter from my father's 1994 Camry and found that it looked almost exactly the same as the one in my SC. There is a writeup on one of the Toyota forums with pictures that shows how to remove a single washer to bypass a built-in fuse on the unit. That's an alternative fix but the next best thing is what you did by replacing the whole lighter assembly. Thanks for posting this!

When you figure out your armrest USB port charger I hope you make a writeup for that as well. I have a panel set up in my console for an auxiliary audio port and I have all this extra room for either a DC port or USB charging port. So far I haven't wanted to draw more power from the factory DC port. I've been looking at other wiring to draw +12V and ground.
Hmmm I havent seen that write up. I just got sick of the old one and replaced it lol.

As for other wiring you can always run a 12v+ wire from a fuse with appropriate amps in the fuse box in the cockpit and ground it with the car chasis. However, an alternative method can be running a direct wire from the battery + and - terminals and FUSING the 12v+. You dont want this to happen to your car:

Originally Posted by staticpage
Nice write up and that looks like it works well. let me put a little input in though please, if you do reroute the starter solenoid wire in-to the car please use a fuse at the battery or risk your car looking like this.
(same mod, no fuse somehow the wire grounded out)