LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS460, LS460L and LS600H

LS460L - Problems after warranty expires

Search this Thread

Old 11-10-11, 05:15 PM
dadopee
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default LS460L - Problems after warranty expires

1. The headlight switch, when left in automatic mode, does not go off automatically after the ignition is shut off.
2. Touch screen monitor: needs a much harder touch than I was used to.
3. Cruise control resume does not work.

What more can expect?
Old 11-10-11, 05:57 PM
GSP David
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

broken driver seat,
faulty window regulators
fried amp
stereo unit random shut offs
Old 11-13-11, 06:02 PM
NVG DRIVER
Driver School Candidate

FYI.... "when going to the dealer for service...Record your mileage when dropping off the
car" I had EXTRA!!!! miles driven on my Ls460 while in the shop, who knows where they drove my car. I installed GPS locator in the car, theirs no way in hell they are going to find it > : )

Did the dealer take care of me after showing proof of the mileage discrepancy... OOO Big time. Just an FYI
Old 11-13-11, 06:08 PM
wczsch
Driver School Candidate

Default Problems with LS460L after Warranty Expires

I just sold my LS460L with 89,000 miles back to my dealer (a totally excellent dealer in all respects). The car was in nearly perfect shape...the price: $27,500. I loved this car when it was not in the shop...except it is totally WORTHLESS IN THE SNOW. Plan on parking it on all snow days and get ready to use Lexus Link for a tow when you get stuck. I had a 100,000 mile extended warranty on which I'll get a refund. In a nutshell, there is no meaningful USA market for these cars after they can no longer be sold with a warranty. This car was sold to a wholesaler for shipment to the Middle East. The dealer will NOT RETAIL this car...too much risk of an unhappy customer when confronted with the first real repair bill. After the Basic Warranty expired, this car has had $20,000 worth of warranty repairs. In my view, this LS460L is overly complicated and anyone who buys these cars without a full warranty (bumper to bumper) is NUTS! The CD player failed: cost $7,000 and five service visits. The brake pedal was making noises: cost $2,500 times two failures and four visits for a total of $5,000. It can take all day to bleed the brakes on these cars! We all had new valve springs. The trunk locked shut. Interior parts replaced three times. Wind noises repaired twice. Brakes issues and other minor stuff. Many times we had an array of warning messages that the dealer could not diagnose. I have had a 1997 LS400 with 150,000 miles...not a single issue in 10 years. I have a 2002 SC convertible and have not had a single issue in 10 years. You will not see many 2007 LS460's on the road within the next few years...do not expect to get much value when you sell one of these cars when it is time to trade. The LS460's are great cars, if you can afford to trade after the warranties expire and you don't mind visiting your dealer for repairs. Has anyone out there had a totally different experience...maybe my car was jinxed!
Old 11-13-11, 07:27 PM
Nospinzone

Received 407 Likes on 315 Posts

Welcome to the Club wczsch!

It's a shame you had that car for over 4 years and never joined sooner. Members here could have helped you immensely.

The problems with the car is not the reason the dealer sold it to a wholesaler. No luxury new car dealer will put any car with 89,000 miles on their lot.

Oh well, but now that you've joined, don't be a stranger!
Old 11-13-11, 08:44 PM
wczsch
Driver School Candidate

Default LS460L with 89,000 miles wholesaled ASAP by Lexus Dealer

Yes, the service record on my car was not the issue...once it cannot be sold as "certified", there is no interest from the Lexus dealer. Back in 2007, my dealer took my 1997 LS400 in trade with 150,000 miles and resold it for a $2,000 quick profit...then again, those cars were bullet proof compared to my recent experience.
Old 11-13-11, 10:15 PM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

Received 100 Likes on 65 Posts

Originally Posted by GSP David
broken driver seat,
faulty window regulators
fried amp
stereo unit random shut offs
what happened to the seat?? My passenger seat lumbar support stopped working. I hope the extended Lexus service agreement will cover it
Old 11-13-11, 10:19 PM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

Received 100 Likes on 65 Posts

I still think that my LS460 is the best and most reliable car I have ever owned. Its well built and bullet proof. No car is perfect and mine is the closest to perfect of any car I have ever had
Old 11-14-11, 07:39 AM
jmcraney

Received 254 Likes on 194 Posts

Originally Posted by dadopee
1. The headlight switch, when left in automatic mode, does not go off automatically after the ignition is shut off.
We see this kind of complaint occasionally and sometimes it is related to an operational error instead of a malfunction.

Perhaps you know this but in case your don't: The timeout for the headlight auto off begins, after the ignition is turned off, when at least one door is opened, followed by no door or trunk open. This means that if you test this feature by sitting in the driver's seat, without opening and closing a door, after you turn the ignition off, the headlights will not automatically turn off. Another example of how the auto off can be defeated is to reach through an open window, with the remote key in your hand, and turn the ignition on and then off, in a dark garage. The headlights will automatically turn on but they will not automatically turn off. And another example is to turn the ignition on and then off, in a darkened garage, while sitting in the driver's seat and then get out of the car without closing all the doors and trunk - the headlights will not automatically turn off.

Last edited by jmcraney; 11-14-11 at 08:01 AM.
Old 12-22-11, 08:42 AM
johnredd
Driver School Candidate

I am having the same problem on my 2007 LS. The headlights will not turn off unless they are manually turned off. They worked correctly until recently. Does anyone have any information on potential solutions for this problem?

Thanks
Old 12-22-11, 12:42 PM
jgbackes
Pole Position

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Perhaps something has fallen onto the light sensor.
Old 12-25-11, 11:10 AM
TerrySmith
Intermediate

Originally Posted by I8ABMR
I still think that my LS460 is the best and most reliable car I have ever owned. Its well built and bullet proof. No car is perfect and mine is the closest to perfect of any car I have ever had
Pretty much pegged the JDPower ratings:

http://www.jdpower.com/autos/Lexus/L...Sedan/ratings/

Terry in Sunnyvale
Old 12-26-11, 06:35 PM
beun
Rookie

Add folding mirrors to the list, driver side mirror doesn't fold out anymore unless coaxed by hand.
Old 12-26-11, 10:47 PM
LXurious
Advanced

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

How many miles are on your ls beun? I have mine on automatic and they open and close whenever i lock/unlock i always worry about wear and tear on those. And did you have them replaced?
Old 12-27-11, 09:00 AM
johnredd
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by jgbackes
Perhaps something has fallen onto the light sensor.
What sensor (covered) would cause the light to stay on?

thanks for the reply

Quick Reply: LS460L - Problems after warranty expires