Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Acura ILX

Old 12-13-11, 10:10 PM
LexFather

Default New Civic Based Acura ILX Sedan to be Built at Award-winning Plant in Greensburg

http://www.autoblog.com/2011/12/13/a...ana/#continued

BTW, the TSX is likely discontinued for the ILX

New Acura Sedan to be Built at Award-winning Plant in Greensburg

Indiana plant to build its first Acura model - also the first ever U.S.-made hybrid model

GREENSBURG, Ind.

Honda Manufacturing of Indiana, LLC (HMIN) today announced that it will be the exclusive manufacturer of the Acura ILX, an all-new luxury sedan going into mass production in Indiana in the spring of 2012. The new Acura ILX sedan will be positioned at the gateway to the Acura lineup and will be offered with both gasoline and gas-electric hybrid powertrain options. The new Acura ILX will be Acura's first-ever hybrid model, as well as the first Acura model to be produced in Indiana.

"Building this all-new Acura vehicle as the exclusive global source is a big responsibility for our associates," said HMIN President Jun Nishimoto. "I am very proud of what our Indiana team has accomplished in such a short time, and we have great confidence in our ability to produce a world-class luxury vehicle that exceeds the expectations of Acura customers."

The Acura ILX will join the TL sedan, ZDX crossover vehicle, and the MDX and RDX sport-utility vehicles as the fifth Acura model produced exclusively in North America. Acura finished second among all luxury brands in the J.D. Power and Associates' 2011 Initial Quality Study.

HMIN was recognized earlier this year for its outstanding quality as one of only three automobile plants globally to earn a Platinum Award for outstanding quality based on the results of J.D. Power and Associates' 2011 Initial Quality Survey℠ (IQS). The plant recently added nearly 1,000 associates to support the move to two-shift production, which started on Oct. 24, 2011, doubling the plant's capacity to 200,000 vehicles per year. The Acura ILX will be the first hybrid vehicle to be made in America at a Honda plant. Gasoline engines for the new Acura ILX will be produced at the Anna, Ohio, engine plant of Honda of America Mfg., Inc.

Acura will unveil a concept version of the new ILX sedan at the 2012 North American International Auto Show (NAIAS) in Detroit during media preview days, Jan. 9-10, 2012. Acura also will debut a new RDX sport-utility vehicle and a concept version of the next-generation Acura NSX supercar at the show, as it moves to further strengthen its product lineup with new products, new technologies and a sharper brand focus.

Old 12-14-11, 09:44 AM
CleanSC
Pole Position

Received 19 Likes on 16 Posts

So they are doing this all over again?

Acura has yet to learn, I suppose.

They need to go UP. Not down. FFS, Acura. Stop the madness.
Old 12-14-11, 09:53 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

Well, if they base it on the Civic (as the current ILX sedan is), then they had better give it a much better interior and wheel-well insulation. The current Civic, despite its excellent overall build quality, is clearly deficient in both.

And I mean what I say about a better interior and lower road noise. In a couple of months the new Buick Verano compact will be out, and, while I have not had a chance to see or review one, press reviewers who have driven it say it has (by compact standards) ultra-plushness inside and rides with the silence of King Tut's tomb. If Acura wants to compete in this new (and upcoming area) of compact-luxury, it can't be producing Civic-clones.

Last edited by mmarshall; 12-14-11 at 09:57 AM.
Old 12-14-11, 03:58 PM
UDel
Lexus Fanatic

Received 296 Likes on 223 Posts

Originally Posted by CleanSC
So they are doing this all over again?

Acura has yet to learn, I suppose.

They need to go UP. Not down. FFS, Acura. Stop the madness.
It will not be a civic rebadge like that Canadian CSX but a totally different new model , it is just based on a smaller civic platform. The Integra and Integra Type R were based on a Civic platform too, the Integra Type R was one of the best handling fwd cars in the world. The TL is supposed to get smaller next generation and be similar sized to the 3rd Gen which was not much larger then the current TSX. ILX is a bad name though.
Old 12-14-11, 04:10 PM
97-SC300
Lexus Fanatic

Received 128 Likes on 107 Posts

When will this be happening?

Didn't they just redesign the TSX?
Old 12-14-11, 04:23 PM
LexFather

Talking

Originally Posted by UDel
It will not be a civic rebadge like that Canadian CSX but a totally different new model , it is just based on a smaller civic platform. The Integra and Integra Type R were based on a Civic platform too, the Integra Type R was one of the best handling fwd cars in the world. The TL is supposed to get smaller next generation and be similar sized to the 3rd Gen which was not much larger then the current TSX. ILX is a bad name though.
lol at trying to defend this terrible move down. This will have nothing related to any ITR, its ridiculous to even mention it,This is a 4 door built in America. It won't be a direct rebadge but a Civic based Acura and considering how bad the new Civic is not sure why they would want to use it as a starting point.

"Advance"

Old 12-14-11, 04:49 PM
Twidge
Pole Position

Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts

headlights look like they're from the jdm civic type r...
Old 12-14-11, 07:44 PM
msgs350
Pole Position

Received 196 Likes on 129 Posts

Why can't they build/design something like the ITR and 4dr Gs-R??

I still have my gs-r and can't seem to part with that thing! I treat it just as good as my GS350!
Old 12-14-11, 09:14 PM
bad co
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Im glad the TSX will be cut! Its grown to much. Hopefully the ILX will be more like a Integra.
Old 12-15-11, 06:28 AM
CleanSC
Pole Position

Received 19 Likes on 16 Posts

My gripe is that they are going downmarket. This needs to stop if they want to be taken seriously.

But they have recently confirmed that they aren't interested in playing with the Top Tier big dogs so they have given up.

Honda will overhaul and reposition its Acura lineup over the next 18 months and abandon its long pursuit of top-tier luxury-car status for the brand.

After years of trying to propel Acura into the front ranks with Mercedes-Benz, BMW and Lexus, Honda says it will settle for offering mid-level premium vehicles that favor fuel economy over performance. Source
This car confirms exactly that. Acura has surrendered.

As for the Integra and the RSX, they are long dead. Honda is not interested in producing cars like that anymore. This new car will very likely be nothing like those. Bloated, fat, and beaky to match the rest of the line up.
Old 12-15-11, 08:10 AM
Alucard
Pole Position

Acura can still be an awesome company even with giving up the "tier 1" thing.

A sub-$100K NSX would be a good start, but they really need a truly great RL/Legend to define the brand.

I think an ILX with good content (ELS soundsystem, cool interior) would be a good entry point for the brand. And with today's economy, might turn out to be a really good idea in the end.
Old 12-15-11, 08:20 AM
dsnowgs4
Pole Position

ILX is a horrible name...

Just call it the new Integra... or keep the RSX name.. it was way better...
Old 12-15-11, 08:39 AM
flipside909
Lexus Connoisseur

Received 531 Likes on 280 Posts

Yep...this is luxury according to Acura:

Old 12-15-11, 12:08 PM
UDel
Lexus Fanatic

Received 296 Likes on 223 Posts

Originally Posted by CleanSC
My gripe is that they are going downmarket. This needs to stop if they want to be taken seriously.

But they have recently confirmed that they aren't interested in playing with the Top Tier big dogs so they have given up.

This car confirms exactly that. Acura has surrendered.

As for the Integra and the RSX, they are long dead. Honda is not interested in producing cars like that anymore. This new car will very likely be nothing like those. Bloated, fat, and beaky to match the rest of the line up.
Pretty much every luxury brand is going downmarket now. They can't ignore gov regulations that forces them to build smaller more fuel efficient cars and eliminate larger heavier more powerful cars that get poorer fuel economy.

Lexus now offers fwd 4 cylinders, no V8 in the new GS, who knows what else in the future.
BMW now offers 4 cylinders which are replacing I6, and I6 replacing V8s, BMW may offer fwd.
Audi 4 cylinders replacing 6 cylinders, 6 cylinders replacing V8s
etc, it is happening everywhere with every company.

I don't consider a future with a new RL with around 400hp and a 400hp+ mid engined exotic new NSX as surrendering. Those powertrains will be very competitive and even offer more hp/technology/performance then many Tier 1 segments if they are done correctly. Acura saying they are not going after Tier 1 more or less means they are not going to try to match directly Mercedes or BMW linesups, that does not mean that they will not have models competitive to those brands offerings in their lineups, they will just not have an entire lineup dedicated to directly going after BMW and Mercedes like was originally planned with the V10s, V8s, and rwd. They are focusing more on fuel economy.

I am not a fan of this push with hybrids, downsizing power/engines to satisfy strict gov regulations and not giving buyers more choices of what they want but it is a unfortunate reality now.
Old 12-15-11, 12:39 PM
LexFather

Pretty much every luxury brand is going downmarket now. They can't ignore gov regulations that forces them to build smaller more fuel efficient cars and eliminate larger heavier more powerful cars that get poorer fuel economy.

Lexus now offers fwd 4 cylinders, no V8 in the new GS, who knows what else in the future.
BMW now offers 4 cylinders which are replacing I6, and I6 replacing V8s, BMW may offer fwd.
Audi 4 cylinders replacing 6 cylinders, 6 cylinders replacing V8s
etc, it is happening everywhere with every company.

I don't consider a future with a new RL with around 400hp and a 400hp+ mid engined exotic new NSX as surrendering. Those powertrains will be very competitive and even offer more hp/technology/performance then many Tier 1 segments if they are done correctly. Acura saying they are not going after Tier 1 more or less means they are not going to try to match directly Mercedes or BMW linesups, that does not mean that they will not have models competitive to those brands offerings in their lineups, they will just not have an entire lineup dedicated to directly going after BMW and Mercedes like was originally planned with the V10s, V8s, and rwd. They are focusing more on fuel economy.

I am not a fan of this push with hybrids, downsizing power/engines to satisfy strict gov regulations and not giving buyers more choices of what they want but it is a unfortunate reality now.
More excuses and saving Acura. Acura is going downmarket only. Everyone else has gone downmarket AND upmarket.

BTW you missed out Lexus. B/C Honda's CEO and Honda just said they will not and cannot compete against
Mercedes
BMW
Lexus

Don't leave Lexus out b/c it hurts feelings. They said it.

Here since you read selectively.

http://www.egmcartech.com/2010/11/08...-not-top-tier/

We agreed that smart premium is what we should be targeting with Acura, not the upper-segment vehicles such as Lexus or Mercedes-Benz. We must apply advanced technologies which make our vehicle more fun to drive, achieve a more comfortable drive and high environmental performance.
lol

Acura has been on a “wandering road” since the 1990s, Jeff Conrad, the brand’s manager, said in Las Vegas. That’s the result of “inconsistent” product introductions, he said.
Honda will overhaul and reposition its Acura lineup over the next 18 months and abandon its long pursuit of top-tier luxury-car status for the brand.

After years of trying to propel Acura into the front ranks with Mercedes-Benz, BMW and Lexus, Honda says it will settle for offering mid-level premium vehicles that favor fuel economy over performance
1sick=completely right the last 11 years
oppponants of 1sickism=completely wrong the last 11 years

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Acura ILX