RX - 3rd Gen (2010-2015) Discussion topics related to the 2010 - 2015 RX350 and RX450H models

Made in Japan

Old 12-04-11, 06:41 PM
GRPFAN
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Made in Japan

I posted earlier that on Dec 19th, I will take delivery of a new RX 350 en route from Japan.

I heard that the public should be concerned about nuclear activity radiation in cars assembled in Japan created from the tsunami last summer and contamination from their nuclear plant melt down on all cars shipped to the states.

Anyone hear this, and should we be concern?
Old 12-04-11, 07:05 PM
LeoDLion
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

If you are concern, rent a geiger counter before you take delivery.

The nuclear power plants produce electricity. It is very hard for auto parts to be radioactive if it is a distance away from the nuclear plants.

You should be scare of getting radiation from sources here in the US. Radioactive metals from irradiated scrap metal from decommisioned nuclear reactors and nuclear weapons and from oil and gas industries supplied more than 1.5 million metric tons of this stuff. They went to all sorts of things we use every day e.g. silverwre, zipper on your crotch, bracelets, cons, pans, belt buckles, batteries. Its frightening.

http://ftp.pwp.att.net/a/b/abintrapr...s/radmetal.htm

Last edited by LeoDLion; 12-04-11 at 07:09 PM.
Old 12-04-11, 08:01 PM
TampaOwner
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

thats silly
Old 12-05-11, 03:57 AM
mstrgator
Driver School Candidate

Default Unconventional Hybrid?

I am getting a new RX on the 19th also from Japan. I didn't order the hydrid but maybe it will be nuclear powered as well as a gas guzzler!

It will be shiny but I suspect it won't glow in the dark.

MG
Old 12-05-11, 04:24 AM
DunWkg
Racer

Received 27 Likes on 23 Posts

Just Google Radioactive Lexus Cars or Radioactive Japanese Cars. You know whatever you read on the Internet is true.

http://www.autoblog.com/2011/03/18/r...ed-from-japan/
Old 12-05-11, 05:02 AM
Cruiter

Received 21 Likes on 16 Posts

Great answer, nuclear powered Hybrid

Actually if they put radioactive luminescence on the garage door buttons we wouldn't have complaints about not being lit by LED's
Originally Posted by mstrgator
I am getting a new RX on the 19th also from Japan. I didn't order the hydrid but maybe it will be nuclear powered as well as a gas guzzler!

It will be shiny but I suspect it won't glow in the dark.

MG
Old 12-05-11, 11:55 AM
Fiddledd
Driver School Candidate

Wow - I've been glowing since taking delivery on my hybrid last month, but thought it was just because I'm happy!
Old 12-05-11, 12:12 PM
MX5NES350
Lead Lap

Received 100 Likes on 53 Posts

Originally Posted by Fiddledd
Wow - I've been glowing since taking delivery on my hybrid last month, but thought it was just because I'm happy!

Same here. You need to call down to Klaus Hergerscheimer in G Section for a fresh radiation shield
Old 12-05-11, 02:00 PM
TampaOwner
Driver

Id LOVE it if our cars had a mini nuclear reactor inside to get unlimited energy and propulsion.. much like an aircraft carrier... so we can get rid of oil and make the entire Middle East irrelevent!
Old 12-05-11, 03:06 PM
InRBigness
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by MX5NES350
Same here. You need to call down to Klaus Hergerscheimer in G Section for a fresh radiation shield
I will get the lead undies from Klaus but I am totally capable of making my own tin foil hat!!!
Old 12-05-11, 03:38 PM
sophie999
Driver School Candidate

It depends on how concerned you are. The cars are supposed to be checked for radiation upon US entry. Looking thru the web, I found no evidence that the threat is real. However, I think the first reply is quite reasonable. If you are worried at all, why continue to do so???

Ge the Geiger counter (rent it) and check the car. They are quite sensitive for trace radiation. They also available at any decent size hospital. If you know someone working there, they may be able to get it for a few minutes, all it takes to check the car.

If the radiation is detected, I am sure dealer will take it back as long as it is done within a day or so.

Hope this helps.
Old 12-05-11, 09:00 PM
Evitzee
Lexus Champion

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

There is always background radiation so unless you know how to read a meter it won't help you much. The amount of radiation in a car is going to be negligible, even one that came from Japan. People are always looking to scare other people. You are far more likely to get lung cancer from natural occuring radon that seeps into millions of US homes. GRPFAN.....bBeing from WI you may have a basement, have you done your radon check yet as recommended?

If you do a check with a Geiger counter do it on the dealers lot before taking possession ......once you sign off on it and drive it home you'll have a hard time having them take it back. Their lawyers are bigger than your lawyers.

Last edited by Evitzee; 12-05-11 at 09:05 PM.
Old 12-05-11, 09:42 PM
DunWkg
Racer

Received 27 Likes on 23 Posts

Not sure who started this, but perhaps this will end it.

I've wondered why the RX450h gets glowing reviews...

Anita, your turn. Are you up to the challenge? Insert pun/joke/humous comment here >>>>>>
Old 12-06-11, 12:53 PM
GRPFAN
Pole Position

Now I was told my RX 350 will come out of Canada, no worries.
Old 12-06-11, 06:41 PM
google9
Driver School Candidate

if you look at the VIN and it starts with J it's from Japan, if it start with 2 then it's from Canada.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Made in Japan