LFA Model (2012)

Car Magazine: Lexus LFA vs Lamborghini Aventador

Old 11-24-11, 07:30 AM
05RollaXRS
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2,417 Likes on 1,741 Posts
Default Car Magazine: Lexus LFA vs Lamborghini Aventador

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=93WeM4PDoiI

When presented with this £600k pair 458s and 12Cs suddenly look a little limp. Okay, the LFA has /only/ 552bhp, but it’s so unlike any Lexus that’s ever gone before: there’s no GS or LS slop or slack anywhere; the steering and brakes are brilliant; and it’s powered by the best engine this side of Paul Rosche’s masterpiece in the back of a McLaren F1.

Speaking of F1, the LFA’s 4.8 wails like a true Formula One V10 too; at first you’ll change up 6000rpm, then 7000rpm, then 8000rpm, then 8500, then 8600rpm, and then eventually you’ll just pin it until the digital dial flings its needle round to 9000rpm, the whole dashboard flashes red and you won’t know whether it’s you or the engine screaming. Utterly glorious and completely addictive. We averaged 6.7mpg.

That an LFA with the special Nürburgring Package has lapped the Nordschleife in a record-breaking 7:14, and that the Aventador feels (and is) much faster on the road tells you just how ridiculously quick Lambo’s latest and greatest is. It’s got 139bhp more than the Lexus. 139bhp! That’s an extra Suzuki Swift Sport. It’s a monster, but with four-wheel drive traction you can nail that throttle and access all 691bhp almost anywhere. Hence the reason we averaged 5.6mpg.

It’s a big bugger though. Not heavy, but wide, with sloping A-pillars that block your view into corners, while the carbon brakes lack the LFA’s sublime feel, and the 6.5-litre V12 feels like it’s trying to snap the chassis and break gearbox if you use the Corsa shift mode. And if you’ve driven a Murcielago SV (forever etched in my memory as /the/ definition of a supercar) you might find it a little sanitised.

Actually, that’s ridiculous. Wherever we went the usually sniffy French public went mad for it – a bright orange Lambo with scissor doors is still the epitome of a supercar. But if there’s an LFA in your garage then you’re a connoisseur, rejoicing in its rarity and understated looks, and happy in the knowledge that you own one of the world’s best ever cars. Please, drive it everyday and do justice to the decade-long gestation.

Old 11-24-11, 10:18 AM
GFerg
Speaks French in Russian

Received 53 Likes on 41 Posts

Been waiting for someone to do this comparison. Love both cars to death!! Is that the only write up, or is it just a preview?
Old 11-24-11, 03:50 PM
05RollaXRS
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by GFerg
Been waiting for someone to do this comparison. Love both cars to death!! Is that the only write up, or is it just a preview?
The full detailed article in the december edition of the magazine. This is more or less a teaser.

Last edited by 05RollaXRS; 11-24-11 at 04:00 PM.
Old 11-24-11, 06:13 PM
Hoovey689

Received 122 Likes on 82 Posts

omgosh that is awesome hah
Old 11-24-11, 06:26 PM
LexFather

Both are so full of win!!

But if there’s an LFA in your garage then you’re a connoisseur, rejoicing in its rarity and understated looks, and happy in the knowledge that you own one of the world’s best ever cars. Please, drive it everyday and do justice to the decade-long gestation.
Amen!!!
Old 11-24-11, 07:20 PM
flipside909
Lexus Connoisseur

Received 531 Likes on 280 Posts

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
Both are so full of win!!

Amen!!!
I've always been a Lexus connoisseur...therefore I must have an LFA! LOL
Old 11-25-11, 08:33 AM
Brylek
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I hope that whoever is testing them isn't some kind of eurotrash lover I will make sure to pick up a copy of the magazine when it comes out.
Old 11-25-11, 09:41 AM
bforbrian
Pole Position

Most difficult decision I will ever have to make if I had the loot for those beauties..
Old 11-25-11, 11:55 AM
07grIS350
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Brylek
I hope that whoever is testing them isn't some kind of eurotrash lover I will make sure to pick up a copy of the magazine when it comes out.
They thought the 458s and 12Cs looking a little limp .
My prediction is that the Lambo would out gunned the LFA in most performance categories, but the LFA would win in the feel good category.
Old 11-25-11, 02:45 PM
TF109B
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

They'll pick the Lambo for the performance, and the LFA for the feel. Overall I think the LFA is a better deal. It's cheaper, more exclusive and it's on basic tires. Imagine the Nurb edition. It'll be shown off at Tokyo Motor Show. I hope that means tests are coming early next year.
Old 11-25-11, 04:45 PM
05RollaXRS
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by TF109B
They'll pick the Lambo for the performance, and the LFA for the feel. Overall I think the LFA is a better deal. It's cheaper, more exclusive and it's on basic tires. Imagine the Nurb edition. It'll be shown off at Tokyo Motor Show. I hope that means tests are coming early next year.
Actually, according to TommyJames they both have very similar price not withstanding the price of amenities that might the drive the price up . Ofcourse, the production numbers would be higher for the Aventador.

Evo UK declared the Aventador winner over the 599 GTO as well.

Inspite of the much grippier and sticky Pirelli Corsa tires on the Aventador, handling, steering feel, balance, braking and also the engine wise (they pretty much already said LFA's engine is best ever since Paul Rocher's MacLaren F1 engine in the early 90s) it is very obvious LFA takes it (Aventador has already been criticized for too much understeer).

However, the savage acceleration and 691 HP (138 HP difference with the LFA is ginormous) and curb appeal works heavily in the favor of the Aventador.

It is a toss up at this point.

Last edited by 05RollaXRS; 11-25-11 at 05:22 PM.
Old 11-26-11, 06:04 AM
07grIS350
Lead Lap

I remembered he's said that the Lambo starts around USD 380K and up. I don't know how many they can make per year, but the total production run is in the thousands for sure.

Originally Posted by 05RollaXRS
Actually, according to TommyJames they both have very similar price not withstanding the price of amenities that might the drive the price up . Ofcourse, the production numbers would be higher for the Aventador.

Evo UK declared the Aventador winner over the 599 GTO as well.

Inspite of the much grippier and sticky Pirelli Corsa tires on the Aventador, handling, steering feel, balance, braking and also the engine wise (they pretty much already said LFA's engine is best ever since Paul Rocher's MacLaren F1 engine in the early 90s) it is very obvious LFA takes it (Aventador has already been criticized for too much understeer).

However, the savage acceleration and 691 HP (138 HP difference with the LFA is ginormous) and curb appeal works heavily in the favor of the Aventador.

It is a toss up at this point.
Old 11-28-11, 01:58 AM
ShadowISF
Lexus Champion

2 amazing cars competing! Nice!
Old 11-28-11, 03:22 AM
Ice350
Lexus Fanatic

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

The Aventador is cool but it looks too much like a spaceship imo. I like exotics as much as the next guy but I like cars to look like cars. It has too many creases, vents, pointy shapes and wedge shapes. It's definitely cool but the LFA wins the style points category hands down.

Surely, the LFA is better at being a daily driver so that's another plus. Of all the exotics I have sat in, the LFA was the most comfy....unless you count the Bentley GT...which I don't.

Anyway, the LFA would be my choice between these 2. Not even a close choice.

I'd definitely take the Lambo around the block a few times though.
Old 11-29-11, 10:12 AM
07grIS350
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Ice350
The Aventador is cool but it looks too much like a spaceship imo. I like exotics as much as the next guy but I like cars to look like cars. It has too many creases, vents, pointy shapes and wedge shapes. It's definitely cool but the LFA wins the style points category hands down.

Surely, the LFA is better at being a daily driver so that's another plus. Of all the exotics I have sat in, the LFA was the most comfy....unless you count the Bentley GT...which I don't.

Anyway, the LFA would be my choice between these 2. Not even a close choice.

I'd definitely take the Lambo around the block a few times though.
Agreed on Aventador's styling pov, hi tech look does not age well when hi tech definition changed. However, it is looking very good right now.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Car Magazine: Lexus LFA vs Lamborghini Aventador