RX - 3rd Gen (2010-2015) Discussion topics related to the 2010 - 2015 RX350 and RX450H models

2012 RX 350 with navigation is it worth the extra $$$

Old 11-17-11, 06:47 AM
kiedoy
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2012 RX 350 with navigation is it worth the extra $$$

I was wondering is the RX 350 worth the extra money for the navigation and is easy to use or is it a wast of money.
And how are the xenons lights are they worth the extra $$
Trying to decide on the premium package2 or the Touring package.
Old 11-17-11, 07:21 AM
MX5NES350
Lead Lap

Received 100 Likes on 53 Posts

Hi and welcome. You'll find varying answers on these questions since it is subjective in nature. So here is my $0.02.

Navigation package - Not as intuitive as my Garmin nor as high tech/feature laden. But it is nice not to have to carry around a Garmin with me. Is it easy to use (the mouse thing). To me, working on a PC everyday it was easy to pick up. 2012's will come wth version 11.1 which is the latest and greatest. Maps are recommended to be updated every 2-3 years and that's $169 plus installation so figure in the high $200 range when lifetime maps from Garmin are less than $100. So it's a matter of choice. Heck, with my i-Phone even my Garmin is becoming obsolete.

Headlights - IMO, yes. Some folks here have done HID conversion kits and are quite happy with their results. I find the adaptive system to be a nice feature. Around where I live you round a corner and there can be some form of mother nature staring back at you. That little bend of the headlamp saved me a headache on a couple occassions. Plus a lot of folks look for this feature at resale time. It's something Lexus was a pioneer in perfecting and is an industry benchmark.
Old 11-17-11, 07:48 AM
The G Man
Lexus Test Driver

Received 68 Likes on 56 Posts

If you use the Navi a lot, then definitely get the option, its a nice feeling knowing you can never get lost. We have a Garmin as well, but taking it on and off everytime we use it is a pain. The mouse controller is a very nice option to have, it give you access to more customized options than the non-mouse version. The Navi is a very easy system to use, the only draw back is that it locks you out if your vehicle is in motion.
Xenon lights are a nice safety feature, it lights up the road a lot better than halogen, three times as powerful in terms of lumens. The adaptive lighting is very useful on the RX, you can actually see the beam move when taking a corner.
Old 11-17-11, 08:26 AM
xfirechief
Lexus Test Driver

Also my 2 cents worth, I liked both options & would get them again.

Another thing, our new Audi's NAV is nowhere as nice as Lexus. The Audi is not friendly at all & many things are missing making it hard to understand, or is it just me?

Anyways, the Blu-tooth is hard to use too on the Audi, could not figure out how to answer the phone call yesterday. No button to push like on the Lexus.
Old 11-17-11, 08:49 AM
The G Man
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by xfirechief
Anyways, the Blu-tooth is hard to use too on the Audi, could not figure out how to answer the phone call yesterday. No button to push like on the Lexus.
Just hit the big MMI turn **** to answer the phone.
Old 11-17-11, 09:37 AM
xfirechief
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by The G Man
Just hit the big MMI turn **** to answer the phone.
Thanks, I will try that. Never thought that would be where to press?

When my wife read the book after the call she said something about pressing the turn wheel on the left side of he steering wheel. Can there be 2 ways?
Old 11-17-11, 10:13 AM
The G Man
Lexus Test Driver

Yes , pressing the turn **** on the left side of the steering wheel is the enter function, and the turn **** on the right side adjust the volume of the phone call while you are on the phone.
Old 11-17-11, 12:05 PM
tapau
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Not that I want to start a whole discussion on the NAV black out ......... just pointing out that the NAV input/search functions are only available when the car is stopped (unless you get the override). So think about how you'll be using the NAV and decide.
Old 11-17-11, 12:49 PM
InRBigness
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I believe you can use voice commands to program and search the nav while moving. When I was test driving an RX I was able to use it while in motion although it was a bit clunky. I thought the car looked very spartan without it. In the end when you go to sell it at a later date, people are going to be looking for that as it is already becoming standard on most cars.
Old 11-17-11, 01:06 PM
wyau01
Lead Lap

Voice commands works fine if you have the windows close, and nobody else is talking in the car.
Old 11-17-11, 01:16 PM
The G Man
Lexus Test Driver

I agree, entering destination using voice command in the RX is hit or miss.
Old 11-17-11, 03:21 PM
Cruiter

Received 21 Likes on 16 Posts

I use the voice command often and once I got used to it there was no problems. But like anything new, you have to learn how it was designed to be used. I can input a destination while moving using voice command without much of an issue.

And I drive a nice Lexus so I use the climate system and keep my windows closed most of the time. Keeps the dust off the dash too when the windows are closed .

Originally Posted by wyau01
Voice commands works fine if you have the windows close, and nobody else is talking in the car.
Old 11-17-11, 05:40 PM
BatmobileX
Pit Crew

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I was on the fence about Navigation and ended up not getting it because I could get a good deal on one without it. That said, sometimes I wonder if I should have gotten it, but I have since become very pleased with my Motion X GPS system on my iPhone. The center console slot seems to be perfectly designed to fit the iPhone and the one year subscription with Voice assist cost only $9.99. I am AMAZED at how accurate it is.
Old 11-17-11, 06:10 PM
JellyBean
Lead Lap

Received 13 Likes on 7 Posts

Are the nav system and HID headlamps worth the extra money? Absolutely not. As the others have said, Garmin is much better at navigating, and the stock halogen headlamps do a decent job of lighting the road ahead. We got both, however, because we wanted to treat ourselves and enjoy the car. Life is too short to be working so hard, increasing your net worth, and then having Wall Street ruin it all. Do yourself a favor and get both. Good luck!

JB
Old 11-17-11, 07:02 PM
mtlrx350
Driver School Candidate

I love Motion-X, both on the iPad and the iPhone. The fact that the subscription can be shared is great as well.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 2012 RX 350 with navigation is it worth the extra $$$