RX - 1st Gen (1999-2003) Discussion topics related to the 1999 -2003 RX300 models

Rattling noise when going over any types of bump

Old 10-23-11, 09:21 PM
NyCrAzY
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Rattling noise when going over any types of bump

So each time I go over a bump or any type of bumps on the roads, my car makes an annoying rattling noise on the front.

I've been reading over the forums that it could be struts.

But if that's the case, how can I tell if my struts are good or bad?

Thanks.
Old 10-23-11, 11:59 PM
code58
Lexus Champion

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by NyCrAzY
So each time I go over a bump or any type of bumps on the roads, my car makes an annoying rattling noise on the front.

I've been reading over the forums that it could be struts.

But if that's the case, how can I tell if my struts are good or bad?

Thanks.
It's probably not the actual struts themselves, but rather the strut mounts. Those are the mount plates that go on top of the springs. They are notorious for wearing the rubber in the strut mount and then they rub metal on metal when the strut extends and then retracts when going over a bump or pot hole. I requires the removal of the strut assembly and disassembling to replace the upper mount. The struts themselves last pretty long unless you have really bad roads, so if funds are plentiful, replace the struts also, if money is tight, only the upper mounts really need to be replaced.
Old 10-24-11, 03:40 AM
hypervish
Lexus Test Driver

Received 88 Likes on 75 Posts

Originally Posted by code58
It's probably not the actual struts themselves, but rather the strut mounts. Those are the mount plates that go on top of the springs. They are notorious for wearing the rubber in the strut mount and then they rub metal on metal when the strut extends and then retracts when going over a bump or pot hole. I requires the removal of the strut assembly and disassembling to replace the upper mount. The struts themselves last pretty long unless you have really bad roads, so if funds are plentiful, replace the struts also, if money is tight, only the upper mounts really need to be replaced.
x2, strut mounts. More than likely the struts are still fine, and not leaking.
Old 10-24-11, 01:55 PM
NyCrAzY
Driver

Took it to my local Merchants and the mechanic test drove it.

And it's the struts.

But he's saying it's both the struts and the mount. I can tell he was trying to hustle me to get this done asap by the way he was talking and he was also trying to make me apply for a Merchants credit card when I told him I was on a low budget.... He kept telling me "You need this replaced NOW! If you make one wrong turn, your whole left wheel or w/e will go out!"

He quoted me for both struts and mounts totaling up to $890 ... RIP OFF!!!

But it's most likely only the strut mounts I need replaced only, right?

I believe my struts have never been changed since new and it has 176k miles on it.

Also, how can I tell if my struts are good or not?

Last edited by NyCrAzY; 10-24-11 at 02:01 PM.
Old 10-24-11, 04:43 PM
hypervish
Lexus Test Driver

At 176k miles, I would replace the struts anyways. That's what I did, cause I didn't want to pay labor twice. My struts were in perfect condition at 15x,xxx miles.
Old 10-24-11, 06:02 PM
NyCrAzY
Driver

Can anything dangerous happen to me for driving with these bad struts? Im on a low budget for the next month or so.
Old 10-24-11, 06:52 PM
carguy07
Lexus Champion

Received 73 Likes on 65 Posts

Can anything dangerous happen to me for driving with these bad struts? Im on a low budget for the next month or so.
Nope, just drive it and get to it when you get a chance.
Old 10-25-11, 01:32 AM
code58
Lexus Champion

Drive it and sleep well. I have dealt with 'em before and I can tell you the guy is full of PRUNES! There is NOTHING dangerous about the noise the mount plate makes, only annoying! Also, I would run as far and as fast as I could from that character. I have found in life that MOST of the time when someone is pressuring you to do something "right now" or disaster will strike, is generally emptying your bank account and filling his, and not much else of any consequence is actually happening. I think you can get the work done properly for less than that. I would look for an HONEST shop!
Old 10-25-11, 03:41 AM
hypervish
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by code58
Drive it and sleep well. I have dealt with 'em before and I can tell you the guy is full of PRUNES! There is NOTHING dangerous about the noise the mount plate makes, only annoying! Also, I would run as far and as fast as I could from that character. I have found in life that MOST of the time when someone is pressuring you to do something "right now" or disaster will strike, is generally emptying your bank account and filling his, and not much else of any consequence is actually happening. I think you can get the work done properly for less than that. I would look for an HONEST shop!
x2. No need to rush! Take your time.

Is that estimate just for the front or rear or both? That price is decent if it's for all of them, which i highly doubt though.

Either way, don't go back to this place! LOL
Old 10-25-11, 10:06 AM
NyCrAzY
Driver

Oh okay thank you! I feeljust better now. The store manager was acting so serious and hard when he kept saying I needed my struts/mounts replaced today.

Its all dirty business I guess haha
Old 10-26-11, 12:44 AM
code58
Lexus Champion

Oh okay thank you! I feeljust better now. The store manager was acting so serious and hard when he kept saying I needed my struts/mounts replaced today.

Its all dirty business I guess haha
Unfortunately those type of businesses give the truely honest one a bad name and grief from mistrust that they shouldn't have to bear. There ARE honest auto shops (not NEAR enough!) I repeat, it's OFTEN (not always) a red flag when ever pressure is applied. I have a standard policy that whoever I'm dealing with, if pressure is applied, they have lost my business. MOST honest businesses will not use that tactic, except in the RARE case where actual danger is involved.