Automotive Care & Detailing Discussions on washing, waxing, polishing, detailing, cleaning and maintaining the beauty of your Lexus.

Best new wax for silver paint

Old 09-29-11, 06:54 PM
RTSM
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Best new wax for silver paint

Hello forum members I just purchased a ES350 in Tungsten Pearl and wanted to see what you suggest for a wax for this color. I previously had a black car and used Zaino and Zymol, both excellent waxes but a bit time consuming and with Zymol a lot of residue. What do you folks think for one of the better waxes carnuba or the newer tech waxes would work good with this color. Appreciate your advice.
Old 09-29-11, 08:31 PM
Red Bully
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I would go with a sealant it last longer i like meg 2.0
Old 09-29-11, 08:37 PM
eyezack87
Camry ConeKiller

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I wouldn't count out Zymol so easily. I found that Zymol Creme had a dramatic "wet" look upon application on my old Gold ES. You'll find that Silver and Gold are very difficult to get a glow or wet look. I'd recommend that or Zymol Glasur, easily one of the best entry level boutique waxes on the market right now

PS- with G/S cars, any residue isn't seen as easily as on a dark car like my blue or your black
Old 09-30-11, 03:34 AM
kitlz
No, I don't play soccer!

Received 159 Likes on 134 Posts

You can't go wrong with what eyezack recommends.

I use Blackfire Midnight Sun Carnuba. It made the paint super shiny and brightened up the color. I applied it two weeks after Sonax Nano Tecnology Paint Cleaner and Wax which also left a nice finish on my tungsten pearl RX. Everything is very easy to apply and remove.
Old 09-30-11, 05:16 AM
jfelbab

Received 58 Likes on 45 Posts

Meguiar's new Ultimate Wax is their most durable and longest lasting sealant. it looks good, A little deeper than NXT and slightly less of that wrapped in plastic look most sealants leave. Same easy on/easy off as NXT but you can use UW in direct sun. It doesn't dry white, so no dusting issues and it doesn't stain vinyl or plastic trim.

This is, IMO, the best OTC sealant on the market today.
Old 09-30-11, 11:29 AM
djkidkris
Driver

^ +1 on Megs Ultimate Wax...I used Ultimate Wax and Ultimate Polish on my last detail and did it by hand. The wax is applied thin and is easy to take off. So far its been a month and I've been using ultimate quick wax to maintain in between washes and still looks shiny and feels smooth. Take a look at my post for pictures right after my detail.

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/6658742-post20.html

After I use up all my wax I think I'll consider other brands that people recommend on the forums but Ultimate wax is most convenient since its OTC.
Old 09-30-11, 11:42 AM
TLcoats
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Menzerna Powerlock hands down.

Trust me on this one, Nothing out even comes CLOSE.
Old 09-30-11, 03:16 PM
Hawaii60
Driver School Candidate

Used to use Menzerna Powerlock, now using Permanon. Used as directed, will not introduce any swirls on your paint. Great for all hard surfaces, windows and even wheels.
Old 10-03-11, 07:10 PM
RTSM
Driver

Smile

Thanks folks, a lot of new choices that I'll check out. The Zymol with several coats always left a good deep coat, but it was a bit tedious to work with and had a lot of reside to clean up. I used to have a lot of time to detail my car but now I have a second child so out goes my free time, it's all good though.
Thanks for your advice.
Old 10-03-11, 08:49 PM
eyezack87
Camry ConeKiller

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Unless you're using the Target Zymol sold there, a single or double coat is all you need. After the 2nd coat, you're just wasting wax and time. I have found that a single layer of Glasur lasts easily up to 6 months in CA weather on a car that isn't a garage queen
Old 10-04-11, 12:32 AM
avgj0F
Lead Lap

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Try Optimum Spray Wax or Chemical Guys Hybrid V7 Spray Wax and you be amazed with the wet gloss sleek finish, especially with new car condition. Spray on, wipe off and done.
Old 10-08-11, 06:30 AM
ARehman
Rookie

My silver IS looks fantastic after a few coats of Klasse HGS topped with Poorboys Natty's red. Brings out the metal flake and makes the paint very wet looking.