GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

Timing belt, VVTi Pulley removal? GS400

Search this Thread

Old 09-22-11, 08:07 PM
Solo_D33A
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Timing belt, VVTi Pulley removal? GS400

I've searched, but most threads are about 2JZ's VVTi, it seems on 1UZ it's different...

I'm currently doing timing belt , water pump, tensioner, crank seal, and cam seal... but in order to remove the cam seal, I have to take the VVTi cam gear out...

a few notes:

Get new timing belt kit and water pump, sewell have them as a kit and register an account and in the option choose as clublexus. upon arrival, check for all items, mine's missing crank seal and antifreeze.

Drain and remove the rad (and 2 tranny cooler lines on the bottom, not much will leak out) and I found out the rad cap's vacuum valve broken.

Remove timing belt covers, should be straight forward

If not using Toyota SST, Do NOT remove the tensionor before removing the crank pulley
IF you did, put it timing belt back on exactly the way you took it off and use longer bolts to put the tensioner back in and gradually switch to shorter bolts until you have it back to stock bolts. Then remove EFI fuse, insert long breaker bar and 22mm? socket for the pulley bolt, crank the car for .2 sec is enough. You should be able to pull it out with "Bolt grip puller" don't use pulley puller with 2 finger like clamps, it may ruin the harmonic balancer.

At this point, you can remove the tensioner, pullies, wires, connectors, sensors, etc..... and battery if you choose....

Remove water pump bolts in front but there's also 2 bolts sideways from bottom and have to remove the alternator iirc... have to remove the water neck, by turning and pulling etc, I've also remove the throttle body for easier turning, leave drain pan by front of engine by oil pan, it'll spill out antifreeze unless you've drained it from the block.

To replace cam seal, remove valve cover, place big enough wrench 24mm? don't know, I used an adjustable... hold the wrench, and use breaker bar on the nut in front of cam pulley, and a hex bolt behind that. then, I don't know. I need help here...
But I can't remove it by soft blow or turn or whatever... taking the cam out to remove cam seal is pointless due to the gear behind the seal, so taking the seal out from the front is the only choice....
Old 09-22-11, 11:23 PM
FrankT
Instructor

Received 49 Likes on 42 Posts

To replace the cam seals on your motor the cams need to be removed.

The timing tube is removed from the cam to replace the seal, that is done on the bench.

Old 09-23-11, 09:46 AM
repugnante
Instructor

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Is this preventive maintenance or did something go wrong with your car?
Old 09-23-11, 11:22 AM
krispl
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Are you sure that it's leaking? How many miles on it? 99% of time you don't change them UNLESS they leak.
Old 09-23-11, 11:35 AM
Solo_D33A
Lexus Champion

It's leaking from there, gotta change cam seal, reseal front cam cap, and maybe VVTi seal...

It leaking quite a bit that half my engine's bottom and entire oil pan is covered, it was leaking on to exhaust... Then I changed the front timing cover, but that is just bandage and let it leak to elsewhere.

My car is at about 165k miles, timing belt was changed at 90k, but I was just thinking since I should change the timing let at 180k and there's oil that would cut the belt's life in about half, then why not change it now anyways...
Old 09-23-11, 11:37 AM
Solo_D33A
Lexus Champion

I'll continue working on it later today or the weekend, I'm not in a hurry lol hope I don't have to buy a new VVTi cam for like $350....
Old 09-23-11, 02:37 PM
FrankT
Instructor

Received 49 Likes on 42 Posts

I thought mine was leaking at the cam caps and or cam seal.
FIRST I changed the valve cover gaskets. Oil leak problem solved.

But if you have oil on your belt, then I would bet the VVTi pulley might need a reseal.
Old 09-23-11, 06:09 PM
Solo_D33A
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by FrankT
I thought mine was leaking at the cam caps and or cam seal.
FIRST I changed the valve cover gaskets. Oil leak problem solved.

But if you have oil on your belt, then I would bet the VVTi pulley might need a reseal.
That's the thing that's a bit weird. Not much oil was on the belts, but rather just sprayed around in the right side timing cover and leaked downwards from there. Perhaps I caught it a bit early. I have changed the valve cover gasket about 2 months ago before I left country for a month only to find out it's leaking still.

When I took the cam cover off the cams, there's oil sipping between it, maybe that's the main culprit, but then I also saw oil on the outer sealing side of the cam seal and can be easily rotated around.....

Well, now I'm home, time to get to work....
Old 11-14-11, 09:52 PM
DukeHarvey
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Well i'm trying to get the right setting for my timing belt , can someone help me