LS - 3rd Gen (2001-2006) Discussion topics related to the flagship Lexus LS430

DIY Door inner handle, lock, cable repair 2001 LS430

Old 06-08-11, 07:20 AM
ogriebl
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default DIY Door inner handle, lock, cable repair 2001 LS430

DIY Door inner handle, lock, cable repair 2001 LS430 (1 of 2)

Not too long ago my driver's side inside door handle stopped working and my rear passenger inner door lock stopped working. These were both pretty easy fixes with OEM parts that I ordered off the Internet for a fraction of the price the dealer wanted to charge me for parts and labor. Hopefully this DIY will help some of you save some $$ and get to know your car better!

I was successful in completing these repairs without damage to my LS430, however, I am not responsible for any damage that may occur by following these steps, please work carefully and slowly especially when removing and replacing trim.

Removing the inner door handle cover

Using a small flat screwdriver that is taped on the end to prevent damage, pry the plastic cover that is located behind the inside door handle away from the door panel. Pry on the side closest to the Manual door lock mechanism. Hinge the cover outward while holding the metal door handle in the open position. The plastic cover should hinge on a tab on the opposite side.

Once the cover is off unscrew the door panel screw.

Removing the window control unit

Using the taped flat screwdriver, pry up on the back edge of the window control unit. Note where the clip is located. The opposite end of the window control unit hinges on a plastic piece, do not pry on that end of the unit.

Also note that the power wire harness and light bulb are connected to the unit, and need to be disconnected before complete removal.

Once the control unit is out of the door, the power harness and light bulb need to be disconnected. After they are disconnected you can set the control unit aside. The door panel screw also needs to be unscrewed at this time.

Removing the door panel

Now all of the screws that secure the door panel to door frame need to be removed. Start with a screw that is hidden underneath the armrest. The remaining three screws are located underneath the rubber skirt just below the passenger cabin door light.

Now that all of the screws are out, the door panel can be lifted up off of the door frame. Before doing this, place something that is almost as high as the lower edge of the door panel nearby. You will need this to prop the door panel on once you have lifted it off of the lip. You cannot completely remove the door panel because the wiring harness for the light, as well as the door cables will be attached to components on the back side of the door panel.

You only have a few inches of room once you left the door panel off of the lip, this is why you need something nearby to prop the door panel on so that you can disconnect the light wiring harness as well as the door cables.

See my next post for the continuation of this DIY

Attached Images
Attached Thumbnails DIY Door inner handle, lock, cable repair 2001 LS430-01-door-handle-cover-removal.jpg   DIY Door inner handle, lock, cable repair 2001 LS430-02-window-control-unit-removal.jpg   DIY Door inner handle, lock, cable repair 2001 LS430-03-window-control-unit-removal-2.jpg   DIY Door inner handle, lock, cable repair 2001 LS430-04-door-panel-removal-prep.jpg  

Last edited by ogriebl; 06-08-11 at 09:18 AM.
Old 06-08-11, 07:22 AM
ogriebl
Driver School Candidate

Default DIY Door inner handle, lock, cable repair 2001 LS430 (2 of 2)

Removing the door panel (continued)
Pull out on the bottom of the door panel to disengage 5 plastic pins. Three are located on the door lock side and two more are located on the door hinge side. The top of the door panel will still be secured to the door frame so don't pull too far - just enough to pull the pins out of their holes.

Grab hold of the underside of the armrest and pull up gently (only a few inches). The door panel should pop off of the lip on the door frame which is located near the dotted red line in the picture.

Prop the door panel on a nearby object so that you can disconnect the light wiring harness on the bottom of the door panel and disconnect the door handle cables. The door handle cables are similar to mountain bike cantilever brake cables - a ball keeps them in place. To disconnect them pull the wire and turn the ball so that the wire and the ball can slide out of the slot. The cables are enclosed in plastic cable sleeves that fit into the black door handle unit (see picture). The cable sleeves can just be popped out (be sure to do so carefully so you don't break in a plastic the black door handle unit)

The inside of the door panel looks like this:

Examining the door cables and door handle unit

After the door panel is off you can examine the two cables for damage. One of my cables broke off near the ball. I bought a replacement for a few dollars at the dealership which solved the problem.

Another issue that I had with my rear passenger door was that the plastic that kept the ball cable in place broke. I had to order a new door handle unit for around $40 and replace it which fixed the problem.

Thats it folks - let me know if any clarifications are needed!

Attached Images
Attached Thumbnails DIY Door inner handle, lock, cable repair 2001 LS430-05-door-panel-removal.jpg   DIY Door inner handle, lock, cable repair 2001 LS430-07-examine-door-handle-unit.jpg   DIY Door inner handle, lock, cable repair 2001 LS430-08-cable-and-speaker-inspection.jpg   DIY Door inner handle, lock, cable repair 2001 LS430-06.5-pull-door-panel.jpg  

Last edited by ogriebl; 06-08-11 at 09:15 PM.
The following users liked this post:
williamcc (07-07-17)
Old 06-08-11, 10:47 AM
Vpanin
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

you are the man!!!............great post
Old 06-08-11, 01:59 PM
dflanigan
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Nice post. Now i can take my door panel off and replace the bad speaker!!
Old 06-08-11, 03:28 PM
ogriebl
Driver School Candidate

LOL - I added in a callout to the speaker (last picture) in case others are interested - good catch!
Old 08-17-11, 05:15 AM
chucklaroc
Driver School Candidate

Default Drivers door panel?

Thanks for taking the time to put together this very helpful post. I have to replace the door lock cable on my driver's door, whereas your post looks like a passenger or rear door. JLaws posted in July that he had a disaster when trying to replace the door lock cable on his driver's door panel because of the need to disassemble the actuator. Do you know, is the driver's door a different animal than the others as far as door lock cable replacement? See: https://www.clublexus.com/forums/ls4...ment-fail.html. Thanks for your thoughts.
Old 08-17-11, 08:20 AM
Jabberwock

Received 203 Likes on 166 Posts

Great post - excellent tutorial and pics - Thanks!
Old 08-17-11, 02:05 PM
JLAWS
Racer

Received 213 Likes on 162 Posts

Originally Posted by chucklaroc
Thanks for taking the time to put together this very helpful post. I have to replace the door lock cable on my driver's door, whereas your post looks like a passenger or rear door. JLaws posted in July that he had a disaster when trying to replace the door lock cable on his driver's door panel because of the need to disassemble the actuator. Do you know, is the driver's door a different animal than the others as far as door lock cable replacement? See: https://www.clublexus.com/forums/ls4...ment-fail.html. Thanks for your thoughts.

Couple of things,

1) If you attempt to replace the cable ($35 dealer part) try to do it WITHOUT taking parts off the actuator. I had no Idea that the latching part on the actuator was spring loaded and parts would fly out when the cover opened up slighly!!

2) The window rail near the actuator is a pain to get around! I removed it completely to get to the actuator. With some patience I could have figured it out how to put the rail back. But I was drained spending hours in my garage in 90 degree humid heat.

3) If you don't line up the actuator correctly the remote key open /close function will not work properly.

I gave up and decided to let the dealer install it. I found a new actuator with cables attached for $180 shipped on Ebay. They charged me $220 discounted to install everything which was a big suprised.
I already had the door panel off and actuator out so I had to drive to the dealership with the door tied shut
So $400 total (part and labor) wasn't as bad a $900 that some have quoted. If everything went smoothly it would have cost me only $35
If I had a little more patience I believe I could have installed it but the dealer labor cost was very reasonable so I let them do it.
Old 08-25-11, 05:05 AM
chucklaroc
Driver School Candidate

Default Thank you

JLaws, thanks for this helpful additional info. My cable arrived by UPS yesterday, so I'll be tackling this job today.
Old 08-25-11, 02:02 PM
Wheel_Man
Lead Lap

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Does anyone have the part number for the cable?
Thanks in advance!
Old 08-27-11, 10:00 AM
chucklaroc
Driver School Candidate

Default part no.

Part number for the driver's door handle cable is: 69710-50010. This is the cable that unlocks the door using the interior door handle.
Old 08-27-11, 10:07 AM
chucklaroc
Driver School Candidate

Default Repair complete

I just completed the repair for the driver's door handle cable. Took about 2 hours. About 30 minutes of that was trying to get the barrel end of the cable properly seated inside the actuator. It seated quickly once I decided to thread it through the bottom of the actuator and then align the cable, vs. trying to thread the cable through the side of the actuator.

Note also that you can remove the actuator easily if you just remove the 2 bolts that hold the window rail and move it out of the way. You don't need to remove the window rail from the door.
Old 04-07-14, 09:32 PM
vanessa425
Driver School Candidate

When you say that your door stopped working... was it like this?:

Handle doesn't move or open door.
Once I use the unlock button on the door panel, the door handle will then work.
Everything else works find except the handle won't move or unlock the door until after I press the unlock button.
It doesn't do it automatically like it should.

I have an 03 ES300.

Last edited by vanessa425; 04-07-14 at 09:33 PM. Reason: to add type of car
Old 04-16-14, 03:02 PM
VerbalKent
Rookie

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Exclamation

You may want to start a new thread as this post is going on 3 years old. You might also try sending the OP a PM...just suggestions to try to get you an answer quicker.
Old 09-11-16, 01:22 PM
Yohimbo
Driver School Candidate

Thank you for posting this. The pictures were very helpful and saved me a bunch of time.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: DIY Door inner handle, lock, cable repair 2001 LS430