SC- 1st Gen (1992-2000)

Loose wheel stud! Cannot remove lug nut!

Old 07-04-11, 11:13 AM
OG Dada
Lexus Champion

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts
Default Loose wheel stud! Cannot remove lug nut!

Dammit! Anybody knows how to remove this? I replaced my wheel studs the other day due to a couple snapped and the rest are starting to strip and even started to mess up some of the lug nuts! I was able to tighten the new wheel studs to the hub with 2 washers and a lug nut, but when I placed the wheel back on with the lug nuts for some reason a couple of studs backed out(which I didn't notice while tightening the lug nuts) and now my rims are stuck in between the lug nut and the loose stud! And to make matters worse, this happened to both my front wheels!
Old 07-04-11, 01:25 PM
1JZPWRD
1JZ Single SC400

Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts

I am assuming its safe to drive... Maybe slow? If not go to the local tire store and ask if you can borrow their lug nut removal tool.. They have to generally bang it on there to remove broken studs and lug nuts.
Old 07-04-11, 02:28 PM
OG Dada
Lexus Champion

Yes, it's safe to drive. But does this mean I'm gonna scuff/scratch my rims and possibly break the new lug nuts and new studs???
Old 07-04-11, 02:32 PM
LEX_MAN
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

you can acces the studs from te back if its the front wheel. Grip it with some vice grips and try to unscrew it.
Old 07-04-11, 02:47 PM
OG Dada
Lexus Champion

Tried it bro, I can't even reach it with my big wheels on the way... I loosened up the bolt for the brake calipers hoping I can remove it but it's just hitting the rims... This is really becoming a PITA...
Old 07-04-11, 03:09 PM
stockhatch
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

So the studs are spinning when you try to loosen the lug nuts? Have you tried to just barely jack the car up so that a bit of the cars weight is still sitting on the studs to hold them in place?

Also, try prying out on the wheel to load the studs while you try to loosen the nuts. You may be able to wedge something between back of the wheel and chassis. Then turn the wheel towards the wedge to put pressure on the back of the wheel.

The key is to get pressure on the wheel to pull the studs tight enough to grab while you back the nuts off.
Old 07-04-11, 03:23 PM
OG Dada
Lexus Champion

I tried that also bro, but the part of the stud with the flange just won't go in deep enough to grab a hold of the hub and stop spinning with the lug nut... I guess I'm *****ed...
Old 07-04-11, 05:38 PM
stockhatch
Lexus Champion

Are your lug nuts sunken into the wheels, or do they protrude at all? Are they open style, or closed? Do you have pics of your wheels/lugs? I have a couple ideas
Old 07-04-11, 05:43 PM
OG Dada
Lexus Champion

Oh man, I have the Muteki SR48 for the lug nuts and they're sunken deep... It's an extended open ended lug nut...
Old 07-04-11, 06:53 PM
iridebmx
Lexus Test Driver

this happened on my old 240.... we had to drill it out =/
Old 07-04-11, 07:00 PM
OG Dada
Lexus Champion

So that means I'm gonna scratch my rim in some way, mess up my new studs and mess up a couple of my lug nuts as well??? Got damn!!! I hate this car right now!!!
Old 07-04-11, 07:16 PM
Weighit
Driver

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

How many on each wheel are spinning? If a couple are spinning and a couple are able to unscrew like normal, remove the ones you can and with the wheel on the ground, get the ones that are spinning on the top so there is pressure on that stud. I think using a impact would be much better than a 4 way wrench too. If that nut comes off, then rotate the wheel so the next loose one is on top again. Hope it works, that is how I would try it.
Old 07-04-11, 07:22 PM
OG Dada
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Weighit
How many on each wheel are spinning? If a couple are spinning and a couple are able to unscrew like normal, remove the ones you can and with the wheel on the ground, get the ones that are spinning on the top so there is pressure on that stud. I think using a impact would be much better than a 4 way wrench too. If that nut comes off, then rotate the wheel so the next loose one is on top again. Hope it works, that is how I would try it.
It's one loose stud on each front wheels. I'm gonna try to do the power tool tomorrow. But I've tried what you said although with a regular wrench.
Old 07-04-11, 07:36 PM
scE4
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Use an impact wrench. This happened to me last year swap my summer wheels to my winter set. The lug nut came right out.
Old 07-04-11, 08:00 PM
good2go
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by scE4
Use an impact wrench. This happened to me last year swap my summer wheels to my winter set. The lug nut came right out.
^^ Definitely this. . . and if need be, back up the stud from the backside with any kind of impact tool hammering implement while you're simultaneously working the other impact from the front on the lugnut. All you need is one good blow from the back that binds the stud into the hub at the same instant you're loosening from the front and it should back it off.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Loose wheel stud! Cannot remove lug nut!