LS - 3rd Gen (2001-2006) Discussion topics related to the flagship Lexus LS430

Not Your Usual "Trunk Won't Open" Story

Old 06-08-11, 11:17 AM
dflanigan
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry Not Your Usual "Trunk Won't Open" Story

I have a 2001 LS430 UL whose trunk lid won't open. Background: Previous owner (friend of mine) said battery would die if car sat for 2-3 days. I said bring it over I will check amp draw for you. He gets to my house the following morning and says "You're not going to believe this but it started this morning". I asked what changed. He said he had some problems with the trunk a few days ago. Said his son slammed the trunk and it wouldn't "catch".
So he drove it to his mechanic who pulled the emergency escape cable in the trunk. He then gently pushed the trunk lid down and the mechanism grabbed it and pulled it tight. After it pulled it tight that last time he couldn't open it anymore but the battery doesn't die. So, somehow they are intertwined. I checked current draw when he brought it over and it was only 20 milliamps.
Theory: The trunk closer was drawing current until it either burned itself up or was broken by slamming of lid and closing/locking mechanism is damaged. I assume the keyed lock on the trunk has never been used or tried to have been used in its life until now. Could the lock mechanism be so rusted/corroded after 11 years of non use that it won't turn??

Neither the key remote, interior trunk pull on dash OR key in trunk lock will open the trunk. Lock button is out. I "unlocked" trunk by holding down trunk button on the remote for 2 seconds until beep is heard. No luck. I sat on trunk egde while wife tried turning key. Nothing. The key won't even turn the slightest bit. I don't want to break the key obviously, so I didn't turn it super hard. I disconnected and re-connected the battery, nothing.
Apparently there is no trunk access from cabin even if I removed the rear seats.
Does anybody have any ideas on how I can get the blasted trunk open?!?

Any help would be greatly appreciated
Old 06-08-11, 12:23 PM
jimbosr1
Racer

Received 145 Likes on 114 Posts

did you spray any wd40 into the lock on the trunk and try your key again?
Old 06-08-11, 12:48 PM
dflanigan
Driver School Candidate

I used about half a can...
Old 06-08-11, 05:37 PM
caddyowner
Recovering Lexus Addict

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

Be sure you have a master key to open the trunk as a valet key won't work. (assuming Lexus had separate keys in 2001)
Old 06-08-11, 06:34 PM
yuri.ber
Lead Lap

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by caddyowner
Be sure you have a master key to open the trunk as a valet key won't work. (assuming Lexus had separate keys in 2001)
Yes, It does have separate keys. Three regular black fob keys and one in a plastic card without the fob.

By the way you need just a few degrees of key turning to open the trunk with a physical key.
Old 06-09-11, 05:50 AM
dflanigan
Driver School Candidate

I am using the master key. I also have a valet key but not the "flat" key as there was no owners manual with the car. I bought one off e-bay. Now that i think about it the previous owner had a new master cut from the VIN number because his old one broke. It is the same fob however and the master works on all the other locks except the trunk.
Old 06-09-11, 07:15 AM
Infamous 1
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Does the suction on the doors work? If none work, maybe a fuse to the vacuum motor?
Old 06-09-11, 07:18 AM
caddyowner
Recovering Lexus Addict

Vacuum????
Old 06-09-11, 07:33 AM
Infamous 1
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by caddyowner
Vacuum????
For the suction doors and trunk that come with the UL package.
Old 06-09-11, 09:24 AM
dflanigan
Driver School Candidate

Infamous, do you mean the auto closers? If so, yes those all work on the doors. BTW does anyone know which fuse goes to the trunk closer? It doesn't mention it in the manual.
Old 06-09-11, 06:41 PM
jayclapp
Lexus Champion

Received 104 Likes on 85 Posts

Auto closure is driven by electric motors.
Old 06-09-11, 06:53 PM
caddyowner
Recovering Lexus Addict

Speaking of vacuum, the early 80s MB 300s used vacuum lines for the door locks. Very quiet, but a PITA to maintain.

Imagine if the LS used cabin vacuum to suck the doors closed. No one would want to use it because if they were sitting inside their ears would pop.
Old 06-09-11, 10:31 PM
Jabberwock

Received 203 Likes on 166 Posts

I'd take it to a locksmith at this point , best way to avoid damage to the lock and associated mechanisms is to use a pro.
Old 06-10-11, 04:12 AM
froboy272
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Infamous 1
For the suction doors and trunk that come with the UL package.
I have the soft close trunk feature and i do not have a UL. It is pulled by a rope that can be see while the trunk is open.

Originally Posted by Jabberwock
I'd take it to a locksmith at this point , best way to avoid damage to the lock and associated mechanisms is to use a pro.
Call the dealer. i wouldn't want a locksmith who is most likely unfamiliar with the LS messing around trying to get the trunk open. just my opinion though.
Old 06-10-11, 07:18 AM
jimbosr1
Racer

Received 145 Likes on 114 Posts

you could call the fire department and say you think my cat is in there and get it opened for free!just kidding of course.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Not Your Usual "Trunk Won't Open" Story