LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) Discussion topics related to the 1990 - 2000 Lexus LS400

Stuttering while driving!

Search this Thread

Old 06-08-11, 05:21 PM
AyoChriss
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Stuttering while driving!

So just recently ive been driving the ls around to work and all. I take the freeway to work. After a few times of driving ive been experiencing a problem with the car. When driving if i press the gas pedal down and accelerate a little bit, if i hit around 2.5-3k rpm it wouldn't go passed 3k rpm and start to stutter and shake. I let go of the gas cause im afraid it'll break down in the middle of the road or something..Almost like I'm red lining, but at 3k... one of my buddies that was driving behind me said it sounded like i was miss firing, i have no idea whats going on. i also did notice that my trac control is blinking. even when i press the button it wouldn't stop blinking! I went to a mechanic and he said its my crank sensor? no idea if it is or not.

Any ideas of whats going on? Thanks guys!
Old 06-08-11, 06:12 PM
deanshark
Pole Position

Received 312 Likes on 269 Posts

Did the mechanic do any tests before he said it's the crank sensor or is he just guessing? First thing you should do is check for codes. You didn't mention what year it is but if it's an OBD1 then use this http://www.lexls.com/tutorials/intro/codereading.html to get any engine or TRAC codes. As your buddy said, it does sound like a misfire. But that could mean many things such as crank or cam sensors, coil, plugs, plug wires, or even could have jumped time. What year, how many miles, last tune up?
Old 06-08-11, 07:10 PM
AyoChriss
Driver School Candidate

He just took it for a drive and said it was the crank. its a 1995, with 122k miles. last tune up was when i got an oil change which was 2 months ago. Im just gonna leave it at home until i figure whats up with it. So i guess its really misfiring? it sounded like it when the windows were down, didnt see with my own eyes.
Old 06-08-11, 07:46 PM
LS4Lalonde
Driver School Candidate

I've had a similar problem. It hesitates and chuggs when depressing the gas pedal. My mechanic diagnosed it as the TPS or throttle position sensor and the main ECU. $1800 later, both were replaced and it doesn't stall or chug anymore. Watch out because in a few months, you'll completely stall out and have to have your car towed to the shop. Speaking from experience.
Old 06-08-11, 07:59 PM
deanbrown
Intermediate

Received 14 Likes on 8 Posts

LS4Lalonde - did you try just the TPS first, before the ecu?
Old 06-08-11, 08:49 PM
LS4Lalonde
Driver School Candidate

Yes, it was not reading right.
Old 06-08-11, 09:08 PM
deanbrown
Intermediate

Received 14 Likes on 8 Posts

So what I'm trying to get as it why do you think the ecu was fried, that's a much more expensive part.
Old 06-08-11, 10:33 PM
Lazy
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have the same problem but only when it gets hot -___- happened to me twice so far.. Gonna change a few things n hopefully it stops haha. MAF sensor, plugs/wires, coils, etc
Old 06-08-11, 11:49 PM
AyoChriss
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by LS4Lalonde
I've had a similar problem. It hesitates and chuggs when depressing the gas pedal. My mechanic diagnosed it as the TPS or throttle position sensor and the main ECU. $1800 later, both were replaced and it doesn't stall or chug anymore. Watch out because in a few months, you'll completely stall out and have to have your car towed to the shop. Speaking from experience.
Man! looks like ima need to get this fixed soon! My car hasnt been doing all that great lately. At first while driving, and releasing the gas pedal to quick, it would kinda choke and chug a bit, but gradually releasing the gas pedal, it would be smooth. Now its both. Either letting go to quick or pressing down to much.. i dont know if the mechanic is just trying to get some cash out of me and throw out random things out, and say i need to replace all that... Yeah ive also been speaking from experience to. before all these problems occurred, my car died out on me a couple times on the street. Not very fun!
Originally Posted by Lazy
I have the same problem but only when it gets hot -___- happened to me twice so far.. Gonna change a few things n hopefully it stops haha. MAF sensor, plugs/wires, coils, etc
Hmm, only when its hot? Its been a good 100+ degreees everyday so far in houston! Could be part of our problem!
Old 06-09-11, 09:22 AM
deanshark
Pole Position

Received 312 Likes on 269 Posts

I think there was a recall on the ECU for the problem with releasing the gas pedal and chugging. Other members would know more about that then me but IIRC it was 95.. Because you have an OBDII you can bring it to get the codes checked at somewhere like Autozone or whatever parts store chain near you. Usually when the crank sensor goes bad it just dies and doesn't start. Ya might want to get a second opinion on that one, but get the codes checked and that will narrow it down some.
Old 06-09-11, 10:26 AM
LS4Lalonde
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by deanbrown3
So what I'm trying to get as it why do you think the ecu was fried, that's a much more expensive part.
ya we had to replace the ECU bc we couldn't get an accurate reading without it. Pricey guessing.