LFA Model (2012)

Best Motoring Fuji Teaser: '12 GTR vs Lexus LFA vs ZR-1 vs F430 Scuderia vs GT2 RS

Search this Thread

Old 04-02-11, 07:12 PM
05RollaXRS
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2,417 Likes on 1,741 Posts
Default Best Motoring Fuji Teaser: '12 GTR vs Lexus LFA vs ZR-1 vs F430 Scuderia vs GT2 RS

I really hope Best Motoring driver (and Gazoo Lexus LFA racing car driver) Kinosheita is driving the Lexus LFA. I am not sure if Ikira Iida is a cast member of "Best Motoring", but he would be the ideal driver for the LFA.

By the looks of it in the video, seems GTR is ahead of all cars, but it is only a small clip and the race is 5-laps. I hope LFA does well in this episode.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ur22Wk7SMU4

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C3tBd...=youtube_gdata

Last edited by 05RollaXRS; 05-04-11 at 07:44 PM.
Old 04-02-11, 10:44 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 184 Likes on 143 Posts

good video.

seems like gtr was winning (2 laps, 2nd lap was further ahead)

the 430 and vette had no chance
Old 04-02-11, 11:06 PM
05RollaXRS
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by rominl
good video.

seems like gtr was winning (2 laps, 2nd lap was further ahead)

the 430 and vette had no chance
Usually Best Motoring has a 5-lap battle and the drivers take it easy on the passing in the first 3 laps. They place the cars on the start line based on power to weight ratio, which makes GTR the first car (the worst power to weight ratio) to the best (GT2 RS rounding out the rear). Is there a way we know for a fact it was only a 2 lap battle?? I do know Best Motoring worship the GTR and the NSX-R, but I am hoping LFA will prove its prowess now.

However, that could definitely be a possibility if it is a 2-lap battle. Despite my passion and fanboism for LFA and the fact that LFA beat the R35.1 GTR pretty badly in AutoBild, if LFA loses to the '12 GTR on home turf in Japan on the race track it was tuned on and named after, I will feel obligated to concede the honor of 'greatest Japanese supercar of all times' to '12 GTR. It will truly have proven the brilliance and ingenuity the engineers put in a car that costs less than $100K. In that case for the LFA, despite all the hardwork, the sum will not be greater than its parts.

Last edited by 05RollaXRS; 04-03-11 at 12:15 AM.
Old 04-03-11, 12:45 AM
TF109B
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I don't think it'll lose. They probably had the GTR in first place at the start like you said. With it's LC, it'll get a good jump and have a pretty handsome lead. Might stay that way for a bit, but LFA was made with Fuji in mind. I don't see how the GTR would win. If it does it's down to the driver, as lot of these video episodes are. On top of it they probably have a pre-production model. And if I'm not mistaken, some of the GTR's they run have optional tires on them for racing. We'll find out soon.
Old 04-03-11, 12:53 AM
05RollaXRS
Lexus Test Driver

Now with LFA being in production, the fault would lie squarely with Lexus. I don't think we can make the excuse anymore about "pre-production prototypes", "pre-production tires" etc.

Also, the tire is also Lexus' responsibility for optimal track performance so a win will be just a win, if it is for the GTR. It will just prove '12 GTR is just the superior track car and all for 1/4th the price. We can't make any excuses anymore.

I know for a fact that Best Motoring worships two cars so I am not sure if any bias will be at play here. The NSX-R and GTR primarily because Japan is their core audience and these two cars are super-heros there (with comic books on them).

Originally Posted by TF109B
I don't think it'll lose. They probably had the GTR in first place at the start like you said. With it's LC, it'll get a good jump and have a pretty handsome lead. Might stay that way for a bit, but LFA was made with Fuji in mind. I don't see how the GTR would win. If it does it's down to the driver, as lot of these video episodes are. On top of it they probably have a pre-production model. And if I'm not mistaken, some of the GTR's they run have optional tires on them for racing. We'll find out soon.

Last edited by 05RollaXRS; 04-03-11 at 12:58 AM.
Old 04-03-11, 01:04 AM
TF109B
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I doubt LFA will have special race tires on it like some of the GTR's they enter. That's what I'm getting at. And the LFA shown is a pre-production car. Not that it matters much. I still don't think the GTR will best it. LFA has been around Fuji probably more than any other car. That's where some of the development work was done at anyway. And they had the LFA one make race there not too long ago. If they have an LFA vet in there, it should beat the GTR at least. The Porsche GT2RS should beat it as well. It probably started next to last. It'll be entertaining though, I'm sure of it.
Old 04-03-11, 05:48 AM
07grIS350
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Gt-r

Given similar driving skills, I think it would be hard to beat the GT-R in short races because that is what the car is optimized for. It has blazing quick standing start with LC, and AWD grip. Torque vector technology would help the car take corners at good speed that sort of nagates its higher weight and less balanced design. Cars like the LFA and GT2 would probably require at least couple of very quick laps to pressure the GT-R into using up it tires/brakes, and overheating its drivetrain, before those initial advantages are neutralized.
I think it would be good if the stock LFA actually finished in 2nd place in a short two laps race.

Last edited by 07grIS350; 04-03-11 at 05:59 AM.
Old 04-03-11, 09:23 AM
MPLexus301
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Any word on when the full clip should air?
Old 04-03-11, 10:48 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 184 Likes on 143 Posts

Originally Posted by 05RollaXRS
Usually Best Motoring has a 5-lap battle and the drivers take it easy on the passing in the first 3 laps. They place the cars on the start line based on power to weight ratio, which makes GTR the first car (the worst power to weight ratio) to the best (GT2 RS rounding out the rear). Is there a way we know for a fact it was only a 2 lap battle?? I do know Best Motoring worship the GTR and the NSX-R, but I am hoping LFA will prove its prowess now.

However, that could definitely be a possibility if it is a 2-lap battle. Despite my passion and fanboism for LFA and the fact that LFA beat the R35.1 GTR pretty badly in AutoBild, if LFA loses to the '12 GTR on home turf in Japan on the race track it was tuned on and named after, I will feel obligated to concede the honor of 'greatest Japanese supercar of all times' to '12 GTR. It will truly have proven the brilliance and ingenuity the engineers put in a car that costs less than $100K. In that case for the LFA, despite all the hardwork, the sum will not be greater than its parts.
i am quite aware of how best motoring races work. i definitely hope it's a 5 lap race, 2 lap is not enough at all, especially with how they do the starting position. the more than lap, the more it shows the real capabilities of each car throughout the track

Originally Posted by TF109B
if gtr used lc, then same with lfa, there is no argument there. plus between the two laps shown in that short video, i can only assume the 2nd clip is after the 1st clip, and it shows greater distance between the gtr and lfa in the 2nd. that's not something lc will get you
Old 04-03-11, 10:55 AM
jpvarghese
Lexus Test Driver

The GT-R is a great car on all levels. It's a tough car to beat from a wide spectrum of cars. Let's not jump into conclusions, though, because the clips above looked to be from a spectator. No one knows if that was an actual race or if the outcome is what we'd officially see from BM.
Old 04-03-11, 10:56 AM
jpvarghese
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by 07grIS350
Cars like the LFA and GT2 would probably require at least couple of very quick laps to pressure the GT-R into using up it tires/brakes, and overheating its drivetrain, before those initial advantages are neutralized.
Thumbs up!
Old 04-03-11, 11:03 AM
gengar
Moderator: LFA, Clubhouse

Received 43 Likes on 33 Posts

Can't wait for this episode. It's not that often we see Best Motoring do some serious supercars and any simultaneous on-track comparos are very cool because then we can see up close and personal a lot of the dynamic differences between the cars based on how they perform differently in various portions of the track.

I am not sure if Ikira Iida is a cast member of "Best Motoring", but he would be the ideal driver for the LFA.
Iida has definitely been on Best Motoring before.

Also, the tire is also Lexus' responsibility for optimal track performance so a win will be just a win, if it is for the GTR. It will just prove '12 GTR is just the superior track car and all for 1/4th the price. We can't make any excuses anymore.
As usual, it's too bad you reduce the worth of supercars to lap times or (even worse) arbitrary sprint runs on a racetrack. Driver skill and randomness also comes into play here (too many instances to list, but for example, I forget who it was driving but almost spinning out the Gallardo and giving position to the NSX-R in a past episode), so you should really just take BM for what it is - a really great, interesting, and fun show, if not that meaningful - and appreciate it.

Not to mention, the LFA should at least lose to the GT2 RS here - that thing is just a beast. LFA leading over the GT2 RS seems a little ridiculous to me.
Old 04-03-11, 11:12 AM
jpvarghese
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by gengar
Not to mention, the LFA should at least lose to the GT2 RS here - that thing is just a beast. LFA leading over the GT2 RS seems a little ridiculous to me.
The results are either surprising or predictable from BM. Entertaining, nonetheless. FWIW, the GT2 RS could be a lap ahead in that clip.
Old 04-03-11, 11:22 AM
gengar
Moderator: LFA, Clubhouse

Received 43 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by jpvarghese
The results are either surprising or predictable from BM. Entertaining, nonetheless. FWIW, the GT2 RS could be a lap ahead in that clip.
Hahahaha good point, you are correct in that I did not account for that possibility no matter how unlikely.
Old 04-03-11, 11:37 AM
05RollaXRS
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by gengar
Hahahaha good point, you are correct in that I did not account for that possibility no matter how unlikely.
Considering how far behind the ZR-1 was, I would not be surprised if this is one of those BM shoddy comparisons.

I remember seeing one episode in which Tsuchiya San in the E46 M3 could not beat the 350 Z (despite M3 having the fastest lap of all cars) simply because Tsuchiya decided to "take it easy" for the first three laps and by the time he started getting into the game, it was too late.

Like I said before, BM is the biggest worshipper of the GTR and NSX-R so I would be very surprised if any other car wins.

Last edited by 05RollaXRS; 04-03-11 at 11:41 AM.

Quick Reply: Best Motoring Fuji Teaser: '12 GTR vs Lexus LFA vs ZR-1 vs F430 Scuderia vs GT2 RS