SC- 1st Gen (1992-2000)

w58 with 1jz clutch help?

Old 03-23-11, 07:00 AM
sayayin
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default w58 with 1jz clutch help?

I have 1jz sc300 with a w58 tranny, I look everywhere with a correct answer but with no luck, for flywheel replacement, so i got my hands on used 1jz flywheel, ordered the bolts from drifmtion and because I am in tight budget, I found this clutch and was wondering if it will mate the 1jz flywheel? supra 82-88 7mge f1 stage 3, http://gripforce.com/store/index.php...roducts_id=200 for what I have found the 7mgte clutch will be a pull type and the 2jz clutch I think the bolt pattern is different too.
So guru's help me out I want to order this ASSP, for now until I save enough for r154 with all the necessary parts to swap for the sc300.
Old 03-23-11, 09:34 AM
carsmypnis
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If you wanna keep the w58 u need to get a 2jzge flywheel for it. U can get an is ,sc or mk4 flywheel, n u will need the w58 clutch kit.
Old 03-23-11, 07:09 PM
sayayin
Pole Position

thanks for the fast response carsmypnis, I saw sc flywheel and has 6 holes, rigth now I am going to do is take the tranny on sunday and see what I have and of coarse take a lot pics, from there will order flywheel or resurface the one that I have and see my presure plate is ok order a new one, also forget to mention is yellow so that means is ACT which one? no idea until I take out the tranny so I will keep this updated for future reference.
Old 03-24-11, 12:57 PM
shern
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

W58 and R154 clutches are not compatible. As you've mentioned, the W is push, the R is pull. And the flywheels are different. What are you trying to do here?
Old 03-25-11, 10:43 PM
skipjagger
Rookie

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

i actually just bought a r 154 and had a w58 in my car. once i get everything installed i was gonna sell the flywheel and clutch (for the w58) and the transmission. the tranny was old and used i swaped out the automatic in my sc300 just to get stuff rolling but about 2 months after i swaped the trans it blew a head gasket!!!! ugg decided screw it rebuild motor and do r154 swap while everything was out. the clutch throw out bearing presure plate are all really really new like 1000 or 2000 miles TOPS on it i work 13 miles from my house do that both ways for less than 2 months... i have pics!! really good deal on it cause like thay said the clutches are different and i cant use it. i live in ct and i can ship stuff ups no problem
Old 03-27-11, 07:04 PM
sayayin
Pole Position

Here is the pics as I promise, took me about 3 hours to take it out.

took out the exhaust to have more room.

here is the ACT clutch, no idea of the part number.

here the housing pretty greasy.

the shaft looks ok very minimum play up and down, zero play back and forth, also on fryday I was
drifting with the car, whel almost I have open diff and is difficult.

here is a easy way to break loose the flywheel bolts.

next pics are comparison between the flywheel that have my car VS a 1jz that I got.

1jz left VS 2j or 1j or?

Take measurements and have same diameters, but bolt pressure plate pattern is different.

1jz

2j or 1j or?

here the culprit of my shatter.

1jz

2j or 1j or?

Also order the bolts from driftmotion and this, I supposed this should go like this.

Well so far tomorrow I am going to have the flywheel resurface and go to performance shop and try to find out
what ACT pressure plate I have. Any comments are welcome.
Old 03-27-11, 07:20 PM
MidloSC
Driver

Did you ask the guys at driftmotion? Maybe send them a link to this thread, I'm sure they'll know.
Old 03-30-11, 11:32 AM
ExcessFC
Driver School Candidate

I cant for the life of me figure out what you are asking?

This dude had it right.
Originally Posted by carsmypnis
If you wanna keep the w58 u need to get a 2jzge flywheel for it. U can get an is ,sc or mk4 flywheel, n u will need the w58 clutch kit.
If it is for an R-154, you need a proper 1JZ flywheel and a 7MGTE clutch kit.
Old 04-03-11, 11:05 AM
sayayin
Pole Position

Ok, I call driftmotion and talked to Aron, they have the action clutch, "never heard of it", he told me it would fold the 400whp that I have, also was cheaper than ACT, so I ordered, everything arrived on Friday, all looks good, except the pilot bearing was a different size, that is my only complaint, everything bolt on, only problem was the alignment of the transmission is PITA by myself, I suggest get always someone to help you, took me about to 3 hours to put the car on the road again.

pilot bearing

throut bearing

flywheel resurafced

arp flywheel bolt left, oem on th right, heigh is different, also I TQ to 60.

flywheel installed with the backing ring from drifmotion.

clutch disk

Car has odo 230461 since that I put 181 miles, clutch is softer than the ACT, but grabs goood, I will wait
until I have 500 miles to really step on the car and see if it holds.
Old 04-08-11, 05:46 PM
MidloSC
Driver

Did you ever figure out what the other flywheel was?