LS - 3rd Gen (2001-2006) Discussion topics related to the flagship Lexus LS430

Hood Strut Replacement Part

Search this Thread

Old 12-29-09, 07:50 AM
DDLexus
Racer

Received 25 Likes on 20 Posts
Default Hood Strut Replacement Part

My 2005 LS430 needs new hood struts. When i raise the hood, it tends to fall down. After looking for parts, i found that the stealership wants about $90/ea and an aftermarket vendor (partsavenue on ebay) wants $75/pr.

The aftermarket vendor also sells trunk struts and i was curious if anyone has uses parts from this source. Please advise.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/2-NEW...Q5fAccessories
Old 02-07-10, 02:54 PM
DDLexus
Racer

Default Purchased

I did buy the hood struts from the only online vendor selling them. Sure, there are OEM sellers, but i decided to save some $ and go aftermarket.

Here are few pictures from the replacement. Note: the OEM part was the WHITE lettering. The aftermarket ones had a aquamarine color words.

After the install, the hood does stay up fine. It will stay in place when opening 1/2 way. If you gently lift a little further, the hood will raise up on its own to a full open/up position.

Closing is not hard. The struts are not overly powerful, so closing the hood still feels like it should.
Attached Thumbnails Hood Strut Replacement Part-price.jpg   Hood Strut Replacement Part-removal0.jpg   Hood Strut Replacement Part-removal1.jpg   Hood Strut Replacement Part-compare.jpg  
Old 02-07-10, 02:55 PM
DDLexus
Racer

now the before and after...
Attached Thumbnails Hood Strut Replacement Part-02before.jpg   Hood Strut Replacement Part-img_7180-copy.jpg   Hood Strut Replacement Part-02after.jpg  

Last edited by DDLexus; 02-07-10 at 02:56 PM. Reason: image repost
Old 02-07-10, 08:05 PM
jayclapp
Lexus Champion

Received 104 Likes on 85 Posts

The only question left to answer is how long will the replacement part last compared to an OEM part. All of these shocks gradually leak and lose their pressure. Does this mean that you could expect shocks that cost half the price of OEM to only last half as long.

Would be nice if people had enough hard data to develop a good emperical data base.
Old 02-08-10, 06:11 AM
DDLexus
Racer

Exactly. I guess you could say my OEM hood struts lasted around 4 years. I'll keep you posted on how well these work out. I tried to get some advice months ago, but nobody on this forum commented???
Old 02-08-10, 03:02 PM
intermec
Intermediate

Received 23 Likes on 21 Posts

I called Lexus they said $335, part and labor (for a 1998 LS)

I was out testing a couple 98, 99 over the weekend they both have the hood strut problem. I did saw part available on ebay for $40/pair.

I don't see I will do much on the engine myself so $300+ is out
Old 02-09-11, 10:05 PM
Lexitegra
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My mom's LS430 hood struts have gone out and my dad props it open with a broom stick . I ordered a set from ebay and this will def help when I go to replace them for her. Thanks!
Old 02-10-11, 05:16 AM
Jabberwock

Received 203 Likes on 166 Posts

Originally Posted by DDLexus
My 2005 LS430 needs new hood struts. When i raise the hood, it tends to fall down. After looking for parts, i found that the stealership wants about $90/ea and an aftermarket vendor (partsavenue on ebay) wants $75/pr.

The aftermarket vendor also sells trunk struts and i was curious if anyone has uses parts from this source. Please advise.

DDLexus - Hey did the replacement 3rd party hood struts you bought and installed work out OK? Do they appear to be lasting and in good shape so far?
Old 02-10-11, 07:43 AM
DDLexus
Racer

Hood struts still holding strong. Been installed for 1 yr No regrets.
Old 02-13-11, 02:57 PM
grunner58
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Buy factory next time.

Yesterday, I replaced my (made in japan) OEM Tokico DK1 hood struts with Strongarm 6236 UPC 845998010286 that I purchased on EBay from liftsupportsdepot.com.

The Tokico's do not have an exposed tension clip for easier removal of the stut from the mounted ball stud like the trunk struts by KYB. Instead you must position an open end 12mm wrench around the hex nut of the ball stud and loosen very carefully so you don't slip and scratch the painted surface. A little tricky but doable with patience and care.

Make sure you have the hood properly supported. I used an expanding painters rod made of aluminum. Put a soft bristle brush head on the end and buttressed that on the underside of the open hood and the other end on a metal support member near the hood latch.

The Strongarms come with seperate ball stud/joints that you first screw into the hood and inner-fender of the engine compartment. Make sure you screw these into position and then attach the struts to the mounted ball studs. Do not attach the ball studs to the shock first. They use a 7/16" wrench for the hex nut and not 11mm or 12mm as I first tried. Had to dig out the old SAE's.

These seem to perform well. Hood stays upright and closes properly unlike the trunk struts which are are a bad match for the OEM's.
The following users liked this post:
StanVanDam (05-17-18)
Old 02-25-11, 01:02 PM
monrovea
Rookie

Smile monrovea

Replaced mine with PartsAvenue and still going strong after one year. Price $78.00. Labor 20 minutes tops!
Old 03-20-11, 08:12 PM
monrovea
Rookie

I replaced both the hood and trunk struts with partsavenue about one year ago, and still going strong. I am in and out of the trunk alot!! (golf) I would go that route again.

02 430 UL
Old 12-15-11, 01:14 PM
LexVoitek
Driver School Candidate

Received 11 Likes on 5 Posts

I found OEM replacements for half the cost for my 2006 Lexus GS300. Taped a video and it looks like the install is pretty much the same on the LS.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RozBafARk3A
Old 12-16-11, 11:17 AM
Tony1M
Driver School Candidate

Thanks very much!
Old 12-16-11, 03:10 PM
N889js
Driver School Candidate

Default Front Hood Struts

Replaced my struts about 2 months ago and it took about 10 minutes per side. Used a box end wrench and replaced the entire anchoring bolt as well. Works perfect and I don't care if it only lasts a couple years. For the price and the time it took, I could afford to take my wife dinner and a movie with the savings.

Quick Reply: Hood Strut Replacement Part