GS - 3rd Gen (2006-2011) Discussion about the 2006+ model GS300, GS350, GS430, GS450H and GS460

Nav Disk will not eject, any ideas??

Search this Thread

Old 03-05-11, 07:35 AM
Ken300
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Nav Disk will not eject, any ideas??

Nav screen shows message to insert DVD but there's a DVD already inserted and it won't eject it... can't get to the DVD eject screen.

Tried disconnecting the battery twice now but still comes back to the same screen and I'm unable to access the MENU screen.

thanks
Old 03-05-11, 08:30 AM
BinaryJay

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Did your wife break it?
Old 03-05-11, 08:38 AM
Ken300
Rookie

Originally Posted by BinaryJay
Did your wife break it?
That's good...

No, I'm sure it was me. I've been trying to encourage here to drive it more (I think in the past month she's driven it twice but she prefers the 2002 BMW 530i. I think mostly because she is use to drive it.
So, I can't blame her but rather my attempts to get my hybrid DVD I've burned to work.
I may have a solution but wont to wait until I confirm the process... it could become a new sticky if I can repeat it.
Ken
Old 03-05-11, 11:05 PM
imadesign
Driver

i think you can try it this if im not wrong.
on the message screen, press on top left then top right top left top right and it will eject it,,,
Old 03-07-11, 06:09 AM
Ken300
Rookie

Originally Posted by imadesign
i think you can try it this if im not wrong.
on the message screen, press on top left then top right top left top right and it will eject it,,,
After doing some extensive searching online, I found a single post on a UK web site that suggested there were hidden buttons on this screen... it says touch top left, then bottom left then top left and the disc would eject. I tried this but it didn't work so I started trying other combinations... I believe it was as you described but I can't be sure. The disc was ejected but the exact sequence is unknown. I was hoping to go back and verify the exact sequence but I'm not confident enough to put another questionable DVD back in yet.

It would be really nice if we could pin point the exact screen and the exact sequence that this eject will always work on. Right now there are too many unanswered questions. Does the car need to be running, or accessory 1 or accessory 2 position? Will/should it work on certain screens?

I've read where users have accidentally put an audio CD in their DVD drive and pretty much gotten to this same horrible situation. Let's figure out a way to eject the DVD drive that is repeatable. If you have done this or have any information, weigh in. Once should have to go to the dealer to have the drive dismantled just to eject the wrong media.

This is for sure a bad design and from what I've read, many dealers don't have a good solution... many taking about dismantling the drive while we have information from a handful of users who say they have ejected the media by using a multi touch sequence. Either these dealers are pulling a fast one or they just aren't as knowledgeable as they should be.
Ken
Old 03-07-11, 10:18 AM
Ken300
Rookie

Here's a picture of the dreaded map disc. screen where I was stuck and not able to eject the DVD. As I mentioned earlier it was come combination of upper left - lower left - upper left - lower left or upper left - upper right - upper left - upper right screen presses that kicked it out. I wonder if you have to be on this screen to make it work?
Anyway here's a picture of the screen:

https://www.clublexus.com/gallery/da...ap_disc-v1.jpg

trust me, you don't want to see this screen if you already have a map DVD inserted!
Ken
Old 03-08-11, 12:13 PM
tungo
Intermediate

Received 12 Likes on 6 Posts

Hey, my friend did the unthinkable yesterday. He physically took apart the glovebox, and then took out the disk drive and then physically took that apart and the disk was in open view. He lifted up the reader and pulled the cd out. All in all it took him about an hour, and while the glovebox was out, he decided to change my cabin filter too.

I did get the consult your dealer message with japanese letters when the old DVD came out. We couldn't get the original DVD drive to slot-load, so he pulled a pin or something to get it to eat the original DVD and it worked!

I went to the dealer earlier yesterday, and they called Lexus corporate about ways to get it, unplugging the dvd drive completely, those invisible buttons etc. Nothing worked. I was there for 2 hours. Advisor said I might have to pay for a new DVD drive ($1200) and possibly the navigation ecu (WTF is that? It was $1400). I went to my friend and he was done within the hour. Remove all the screws around the glovebox to take it apart. There is a hidden one, to which you have to lift the center console to get to, but it isn't hard. Pop the center console compartment and lift up the tab at the bottom. It's there, just hard to see, then lift up the wood grain console and you can reach the screw.
Old 03-08-11, 12:27 PM
BinaryJay

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

That message roughly translated from Japanese means "You're screwed!".

Garmin wins again. :P
Old 03-08-11, 12:30 PM
tungo
Intermediate

Received 12 Likes on 6 Posts

No it doesn't. If you're good with tinkering with things, you can easily take the DVD drive out and remove it yourself. Don't be rough with it. Take out EVERY screw on the drive, lift the reader, and slide the disk out.
Old 03-08-11, 12:38 PM
Ken300
Rookie

Originally Posted by BinaryJay
That message roughly translated from Japanese means "You're screwed!".

Garmin wins again. :P
I always like to to check this forum... I'm guaranteed to get at least one good laugh. That was good and based on a lot of the stuff I've read here, that's an accurate translation.

What really pisses me off is that from dealer to dealer they all seem to have a different recommendation!!! These are supposed to be the Experts on these d#&% cars!! Yet, the other user has a friend dissemble things and get the disc out in about an hour... I'm still relatively new to the Lexus world but so far I'm seeing dealers who either don't know what the hell is going on or want to charge you out the wah zooo. If you are going to screw us, at least all you dealers get together and come up with a consistent answer to these problems so it's not so obvious that we are being taken for a ride.
Old 03-08-11, 02:23 PM
imadesign
Driver

i will update you once i go days off of what is the exact sequence for ejecting it

hahaaa do you want to know what happend to me once, from the hidden menu, i chosed to load another setting and then it wont accept any disc except the one i have chosen
so
this what i did
opened the glove box
removed the DVD box
opend the box that is attached to it looked for the battery in that box
the battery was soldered so i had to drain it, plugged a led light to it and allowed it to drain till its not lighting anymore
reinstalled the whole thing and worked fine.
inserted the original DVD that came with the car and worked fine
trust me:: you dont want to try this.. it is such a real pain
see attachment
Attached Thumbnails Nav Disk will not eject, any ideas??-1.jpg   Nav Disk will not eject, any ideas??-2.jpg   Nav Disk will not eject, any ideas??-3.jpg  
Old 03-08-11, 02:34 PM
EyeKutr

Received 39 Likes on 25 Posts

That is ballsy !!!! Hey....does going into the secret menu help ....try it, holkding the info button down, and car in the accy mode, trun on and off the headlights 3 times....
Old 03-08-11, 03:08 PM
imadesign
Driver

Originally Posted by tungo
No it doesn't. If you're good with tinkering with things, you can easily take the DVD drive out and remove it yourself. Don't be rough with it. Take out EVERY screw on the drive, lift the reader, and slide the disk out.
no you dont have to do this only if you have the DVD stuck inside, as i said you can press top left to right onthat screen which says Please insert correct map disc as Ken300 posted
Old 03-08-11, 03:12 PM
imadesign
Driver

Originally Posted by EyeKutr
That is ballsy !!!! Hey....does going into the secret menu help ....try it, holkding the info button down, and car in the accy mode, trun on and off the headlights 3 times....
no, in this hidden menu, there is nothing releated to NAVI
Old 03-08-11, 03:23 PM
Ken300
Rookie

Originally Posted by imadesign
no you dont have to do this only if you have the DVD stuck inside, as i said you can press top left to right onthat screen which says Please insert correct map disc as Ken300 posted
This worked for me but It's only happened once. The other earlier post the guy tried this and it didn't work for him. I wish I knew what the difference was. If it worked 100% of the time, I'd feel more confident continuing my Hybrid Nav DVD testing. Can't tell you how depressing it was for those few hours I couldn't get my disc to eject.
I'd really love to test a few more of my disc but not yet ready for the elevated heart rate... just trying to digest all the possible solutions just in case it gets stuck again and this time it won't eject using the hidden buttons.
Ken

Quick Reply: Nav Disk will not eject, any ideas??