LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) Discussion topics related to the 1990 - 2000 Lexus LS400

ls400 engine code 14/no start

Search this Thread

Old 02-17-11, 02:07 PM
S13REMI
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default ls400 engine code 14/no start

ok ive done pleanty of searching and cant find anything . ive got a 91 ls and one morning it decided to just not start. the night before it was hesitating real bad. i narrowed it down to a no spart issue. the specific engine code im getting is #14. i figured out that its just a no ignition code. i dont know if any one has a more detailed description of the code. the engine isnt getting spark on either bank. so my thought process would be to look at the only thing that controls spark across the whole motor is the ignition control module. at almost 300 dollars its not something i want to buy and have that not be the reason. if any one has any other ideas id appreciate it greatly as this is my dd and my fun is running yet :/
Old 02-17-11, 02:17 PM
curepunx
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Have you tried checking the igntion control module(s)? There are two, one located near the front and another near the rear of the engine.

Code:
14 - Ignition no. 1 signal

So it might be that. Your car will NOT start/stay on if they're not functioning or not connected properly. Check them out! If you find out that they're not working properly, then replace them accordingly. Search at your local auto parts, ebay and even other online websites (GOOGLE it)!

Goodluck!

Last edited by curepunx; 02-17-11 at 02:19 PM. Reason: Adding
Old 02-17-11, 02:21 PM
S13REMI
Driver School Candidate

im pretty sure i know where the one in the front of the motor is. could you be a little more specific about the one in the back. and if they are connected good does any one know how i could test them to see if they are bad?
Old 02-17-11, 03:12 PM
curepunx
Driver

Originally Posted by S13REMI
im pretty sure i know where the one in the front of the motor is. could you be a little more specific about the one in the back. and if they are connected good does any one know how i could test them to see if they are bad?
Here are some simple links to help you get started on the ignition coils...

Read this!
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/ls4...-problems.html

Look at this!
http://i668.photobucket.com/albums/v...ents_LS400.gif

Try using the SEARCH feature near the top-right corner of this forum page to further onset any details on items you might have questions about.

Goodluck!
Old 02-17-11, 09:30 PM
willhickey
Lexus Test Driver

one on top of ac compressor (passenger front side right behind serp belt) and one next to upper hose housing (thermostat), the same on our 90 ls400 and 94 sc400 so im sure its the same for yours
Old 02-17-11, 11:44 PM
twofanman
Rookie

Default Code 14, 15 - Ignition Signal Circuit

I dug out my repair manual and looked at Code 14 and 15 which are for the Ignition Signal Circuit. This is the ignition trigger and feedback system. The ECU sends a signal to the igniter to fire the ignition coil. The igniter fires the coil and then sends a confirmation to the ECU that ignition occurred. A code 14 or 15 is an indication that the ECU did not receive a confirmation of ignition from the igniter for at least 8 consecutive ignition cycles.

Code 14 is for the No. 1 igniter which controls the LH coil and LH distributor and ultimately the spark plugs at cylinders 1, 4, 6 and 7. Code 15 is for the No. 2 igniter which controls the RH coil and RH distributor and ultimately the spark plugs at cylinders 2, 3, 5 and 8.

Are you sure all 8 cylinders are not getting spark? You might want to check all 8 cylinders. Your Code 14 would indicate you are not getting spark at 1, 4, 6 and 7. If you are not getting a Code 15 (or any other codes), the right side should be OK and you should be getting spark at cylinders 2, 3, 5 and 8.

If this is the case, then check the No. 1 igniter. If that’s OK, then it could be an open or short in the wiring for the ignition signal or the confirmation signal on the left side. If that’s okay, then it could be the ECU.

I got all of this info from the troubleshooting section of the RM for a 1992 (page TR-34). There is more info there on how to check the igniter itself and how to check the wiring circuit for the ignition signal and confirmation signal. If you don’t have the manual, you can download it from TIS.
Old 02-18-11, 07:01 PM
S13REMI
Driver School Candidate

^ thank you so much i cant begin to tell you how help ful this was. all the searching i did was not as helpful as your post. im not being sarcastic either. thank you!
but yeah im pretty certain i im not getting spark on both banks. i checked to cylinders on each bank. will check all 8 tomorrow. im worried it might be the actuall ignition controll module. since it is the only thing that controls spark to all 8 cylinders besides the ecu
Old 02-18-11, 07:30 PM
twofanman
Rookie

Glad to help. I should have mentioned to check to see if you have spark at each distributor first.
Old 03-30-11, 09:48 AM
Dtwillis5
Pole Position

Default could me my problem

Originally Posted by twofanman
I dug out my repair manual and looked at Code 14 and 15 which are for the Ignition Signal Circuit. This is the ignition trigger and feedback system. The ECU sends a signal to the igniter to fire the ignition coil. The igniter fires the coil and then sends a confirmation to the ECU that ignition occurred. A code 14 or 15 is an indication that the ECU did not receive a confirmation of ignition from the igniter for at least 8 consecutive ignition cycles.

Code 14 is for the No. 1 igniter which controls the LH coil and LH distributor and ultimately the spark plugs at cylinders 1, 4, 6 and 7. Code 15 is for the No. 2 igniter which controls the RH coil and RH distributor and ultimately the spark plugs at cylinders 2, 3, 5 and 8.

Are you sure all 8 cylinders are not getting spark? You might want to check all 8 cylinders. Your Code 14 would indicate you are not getting spark at 1, 4, 6 and 7. If you are not getting a Code 15 (or any other codes), the right side should be OK and you should be getting spark at cylinders 2, 3, 5 and 8.

If this is the case, then check the No. 1 igniter. If that’s OK, then it could be an open or short in the wiring for the ignition signal or the confirmation signal on the left side. If that’s okay, then it could be the ECU.

I got all of this info from the troubleshooting section of the RM for a 1992 (page TR-34). There is more info there on how to check the igniter itself and how to check the wiring circuit for the ignition signal and confirmation signal. If you don’t have the manual, you can download it from TIS.
I did a tune up on my car i had four spark plugs that were really bad and the other four looked new. So im thinking going to the junk yard and test ignition controls and see if that do the job
Old 04-07-11, 02:58 PM
S13REMI
Driver School Candidate

what are the 2 relays on either side of the ecu?
Old 10-02-14, 10:51 AM
jdk42354
Driver School Candidate

Default John

Hello,

I'm new to the forum. Hopefully I'm using correct procedure. I have a 1996 LS400 with 105,000 miles. Engine stalled once when I stopped at a stop sign. It started right up next morning. 6 weeks or so later, stopped at grocery store. Came out to leave and it wouldn't start. Starter cranked engine fine. It acted as though it was out of gas. Next morning, started right up. 4-5 weeks later, yesterday evening, I pulled into the garage and shut off the engine. I needed to move it, wouldn't. This morning, it cranked right up.

Oops. I forgot to mention that I took it to our local Toyota dealer(no Lexus dealer where I live) and no recorded fault codes. He thought it may igniters?

any ideas,

Thx John

Last edited by jdk42354; 10-02-14 at 11:35 AM.
Old 10-02-14, 05:39 PM
timmy0tool

Received 415 Likes on 370 Posts

Originally Posted by jdk42354
Hello,

I'm new to the forum. Hopefully I'm using correct procedure. I have a 1996 LS400 with 105,000 miles. Engine stalled once when I stopped at a stop sign. It started right up next morning. 6 weeks or so later, stopped at grocery store. Came out to leave and it wouldn't start. Starter cranked engine fine. It acted as though it was out of gas. Next morning, started right up. 4-5 weeks later, yesterday evening, I pulled into the garage and shut off the engine. I needed to move it, wouldn't. This morning, it cranked right up.

Oops. I forgot to mention that I took it to our local Toyota dealer(no Lexus dealer where I live) and no recorded fault codes. He thought it may igniters?

any ideas,

Thx John
sounds like the fuel pump is going bad.
Old 09-19-15, 11:28 PM
Loganlion4
Driver School Candidate

Default Ls400 code 14/ 15

Ok I have an odd issue along the same lines I pull my codes and get code 14 however the car seems to run fine other the a slight miss at speed. I recently switched connectors on the ignition control modules to check for bad module or wiring or coils and when I did my problem went to code 15 car still running fine. So my question is this is my ecu trying to tell me I have a bad ignition control module and if so why is it allowing the car to run if when it detects a code 14 or 15 it is supposed to shut down fuel or could it be a bad ecu? I have a 1990 ls400
Old 09-19-15, 11:52 PM
Yamae

Received 850 Likes on 643 Posts

Originally Posted by Loganlion4
Ok I have an odd issue along the same lines I pull my codes and get code 14 however the car seems to run fine other the a slight miss at speed. I recently switched connectors on the ignition control modules to check for bad module or wiring or coils and when I did my problem went to code 15 car still running fine. So my question is this is my ecu trying to tell me I have a bad ignition control module and if so why is it allowing the car to run if when it detects a code 14 or 15 it is supposed to shut down fuel or could it be a bad ecu? I have a 1990 ls400
A slight miss may be the reason why codes 14 and 15 are there.
The ECU detects those when the IGF signals are not obtained for 0.3 sec or the ECU is partially faulty. Why don't you check the ECU measuring the ripple explained in the FAQ page.
Old 09-19-15, 11:56 PM
Loganlion4
Driver School Candidate

Don't you need a scope to check a ripple plus if ecu is failing why would code jump from one bank to other also I should probably mention it had yet to turn on the cel

Last edited by Loganlion4; 09-20-15 at 12:02 AM.

Quick Reply: ls400 engine code 14/no start