SC- 1st Gen (1992-2000)

smog test results-failed again PLEASE HELP

Old 01-27-11, 01:42 PM
Devor
Pit Crew

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry smog test results-failed again PLEASE HELP

I just attached the results of my smog test below. I failed again here are the numbers and results can anyone tell me from this printout where or what I need to change/ replace in order to pass smog? please helppp meeee!
Attached Files
File Type: pdf
sc300 smog.pdf (23.0 KB, 312 views)

Last edited by Devor; 01-27-11 at 02:05 PM.
Old 01-27-11, 02:38 PM
ArodDaLob
Lexus Test Driver

cleaning out your egr valve would probably help lower your NOx level if you haven't already.
Old 01-27-11, 03:57 PM
Devor
Pit Crew

yea I was just thinking about that I bought a new EGR valve from lexus a few years back for like 150 and when I swapped it out it passed in my old 300.. But now the EGR valve is over 300 from the dealership =/ how would I go about cleaning the EGR valve? I have a can of sea foam I wanna use.. should I just unplug a hose from the EGR valve and feed the whole can into the line to clean out the EGR?
Old 01-27-11, 04:35 PM
broda805
Lead Lap

if you can remove it from the car thats probably best then spray it with some carb cleaner maybe.
Old 01-27-11, 04:50 PM
Devor
Pit Crew

If I remember correctly the EGR valve sits right next to the break master in the top back portion of the engine bay. last time I swaped it out I was so suprised on how easy it was. Im just not sure if I should run sea foam through one of the hoses that leads into while its still attached to the car and running.. Ive herd theres ALLOT of smoke that will come out the back of my exhaust from doing so?
Old 01-27-11, 05:00 PM
account2x
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Did you drive the car atleast half an hour before you got it tested? Did you leave the engine running before the test?

If it was me I would change out the spark plugs, plug wires, dizzy (cap & rotor), oxygen sensors, PCV and vacuum housing. As others have said get carb cleaner and clean out of the EGR. Throttle-body too and you should be good to go unless your fuel injectors has crud buildup.

Last edited by account2x; 01-27-11 at 05:04 PM.
Old 01-27-11, 06:13 PM
SEXC
Pole Position

Whatever amount of gas you have in your tank just put 10% of that in rubbing alcohol. You will pass without a doubt based on your numbers I saw.
Old 01-27-11, 07:48 PM
MDSC
Lexus Champion

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by account2x
Did you drive the car atleast half an hour before you got it tested? Did you leave the engine running before the test?

If it was me I would change out the spark plugs, plug wires, dizzy (cap & rotor), oxygen sensors, PCV and vacuum housing. As others have said get carb cleaner and clean out of the EGR. Throttle-body too and you should be good to go unless your fuel injectors has crud buildup.
he will pass 100% with a new cat even an aftermarket one, but he said 300 bucks is too much so....
Old 01-27-11, 07:51 PM
6SOARER
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

By looking at the numbers it looks like it needs a new Catalytic Converter.

Usually when you have high HC's and NOxs the converter is getting weak.

When you only have high NOx readings, your EGR isnt working correctly.
Old 01-27-11, 07:56 PM
MDSC
Lexus Champion

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by eyeSOARER6
By looking at the numbers it looks like it needs a new Catalytic Converter.

Usually when you have high HC's and NOxs the converter is getting weak.

When you only have high NOx readings, your EGR isnt working correctly.
wife had a 93gs all 3 numbers were almost doubled, stock cats only last so long, replaced the cat and took it back then next day, it beraly registered anything on the test.
Old 01-28-11, 01:39 PM
Devor
Pit Crew

I drove the car for about 30 miles then went straight to the test station. SEXC ^^ I currently have about half a tank in the car so r u saying to throw a bottle or 2 of rubbing alcohol into the tank with all that gas and it will pass? I am looking for after market cats right now I found a few magnaflows so I just need to verify they will be california legal
Old 01-28-11, 02:14 PM
masagsxr
Lexus Test Driver

I was in a search for a cat a while back just in case I'd need it in the future. Lots of sellers on fleebay wont ship to california because of different regulation but did confirm the he can get california legal ones

What is your email? I'll forward you details of what he told me. It is still in my inbox.
Old 01-28-11, 03:23 PM
6SOARER
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Devor
I drove the car for about 30 miles then went straight to the test station. SEXC ^^ I currently have about half a tank in the car so r u saying to throw a bottle or 2 of rubbing alcohol into the tank with all that gas and it will pass? I am looking for after market cats right now I found a few magnaflows so I just need to verify they will be california legal
Magnaflow is a big manufacturer so you'll get an approved converter. Just make sure you tell em what year, make, model its for so they will provide you with the right application.
Old 01-28-11, 03:26 PM
abounly
Lexus Champion

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Sent you a PM about a EGR Valve, not sure if thats the thing your trying to clean.
Old 01-28-11, 06:54 PM
SEXC
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Devor
10% would equal to a gallon of alcohol. Just wait until you have about 5 gallons or so. Also change your oil if you haven't done so in a while.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: smog test results-failed again PLEASE HELP