Old 11-14-09, 09:41 PM
bryan767
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default heat not working

background of the car:

1992 sc300
1jzgte swap done by a shop
i just purchased the car, heat not working!

story:

alright, so i just traded my civic for this sc300 and come to find out the heat doesn't work. i did some googling and came across 2 threads on CL

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/per...eason-why.html

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/per...rol-valve.html

both of these have helped me narrow down my problem. on the second link, theres a picture that shows how the actuator and vacuum should be set up.

however im missing the vacuum that apparently comes off of the intake(?) and goes to the vsv. exactly where on the 1jzgte engine should this vacuum be coming from.

the charcoal canister only has 1 hose going to it (looks like its missing one hose that should be going to it, the one thats closer to the firewall), so i thought i could just connect the vsv to the canister with a hose. but i didnt really feel any vacuum from the canister. i tried this set up and it didnt do anything.

ALSO:
i found a hose, that looks to be the correct vacuum sitting behind the charcoal canister, it looks like someone just tucked it so you cant use it, since it was night time i couldnt trace exactly where those hose came from but it looked like it had an in line air filter (read check valve). like just a little screen that helps collect dust and debris. however the hose is pretty thick..

-and im almost positive this line comes from the intake. if your looking at the intake, the furthermost fitting with a hose closest to the firewall is what i believe to be the hose thats just draped behind the canister. again, i couldnt tell it was dark and i didnt wanna mess anything up while i was rummaging through everything.
Old 11-14-09, 10:43 PM
RyanV
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by bryan767

however im missing the vacuum that apparently comes off of the intake(?) and goes to the vsv. exactly where on the 1jzgte engine should this vacuum be coming from. Wherever you have an open intake manifold vacuum port will work.

the charcoal canister only has 1 hose going to it (looks like its missing one hose that should be going to it, the one thats closer to the firewall), so i thought i could just connect the vsv to the canister with a hose. but i didnt really feel any vacuum from the canister. i tried this set up and it didnt do anything. vaccum line from the canister go over to the top center of the intake manifold and it ends up connecting to the metal line that runs from the front to the middle of the intake on the outside.
my answers in bold text limit..
Old 11-15-09, 02:51 PM
bryan767
Lexus Test Driver

i think im just going to T off a line from the intake manifold. seems to be the only solution really. since i cant really tell where it should be coming from.

as for the charcoal canister, ill look that line. thanks!
Old 11-17-09, 08:25 AM
bryan767
Lexus Test Driver

last night i ran a Y barbed connection from a vacuum to the vsv valve thing. and now i have heat! yay
Old 11-23-09, 01:13 PM
masagsxr
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Sorry for reviving this thread.

Is this the same case with SC400's? I'm in CA and it is starting to get really cold in the morning. I have the car running for 5mins then drive off to work. Turned the heater on and thought I should start feeling the heat. About 30mins later I get to work, whats coming out of the vent is still pretty cold. (A/C) indicator is off and I have the climate control all the way to HOT. The temp gauge on my cluster is a little pass half way point.
Old 11-23-09, 01:19 PM
okbobbo
Pole Position

Default Works in the 400, too.

Look at the photo and move the vacuum hose to the actuator. The arm underneath the actuator should move up if the heater is turned on. If not, then its another problem.

Last edited by okbobbo; 11-23-09 at 01:21 PM. Reason: error
Old 11-23-09, 03:13 PM
lexsc4oo
Driver

Does anyone know where i can get the VSV (vacuum switch valve)?
Old 11-23-09, 07:00 PM
Garage7RP
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Remove the actuator, clean it and reinstall it. Check the vacuum lines on the picture above and see if they are not clogged or leaking. Check specs on VSV switch too.
Old 11-23-09, 07:13 PM
masagsxr
Lexus Test Driver

Well, I tried it again on my way home from work just to see if it is still not working. I FEEL THE HEAT!!!.... Maybe it is dirty and/or getting clogged in there.
Old 11-23-09, 07:16 PM
bryan767
Lexus Test Driver

masagsxr - remember to move it back during the summer because you'll have halfway hot a/c.
Old 11-23-09, 09:11 PM
masagsxr
Lexus Test Driver

bryan: I didn't even do anything yet. I have not touched the engine area nor look at how it is connected... What do you mean halfway hot a/c? Are you referring to the temp guage? I'm already a little over the half point with the temp gauge. I've always seen it like that for the time i own the car and that is pretty much the normal temp (to me) ever since. I have not seen it lower.
Old 11-23-09, 09:31 PM
bryan767
Lexus Test Driver

for some reason i thought someone told you to follow these steps..

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/per...rol-valve.html

if you change the vacuum to work for heat. during the summer months if you dont change it. you will be blowing a/c with heat mixed in. because the heat is always on.
Old 11-23-09, 10:00 PM
masagsxr
Lexus Test Driver

Nah... but thanks for the tip tho. I'm now subscribed to this thread afterall. If ever it fails, this would be my last resort for a temporary fix.
Old 11-23-09, 10:47 PM
okbobbo
Pole Position

Default Buying a VSV

You can buy a VSV from an older model Toyota. I got one for $8! It requires wiring the original connector to the valve. I haven't put it on since I'm happy just moving the vacuum line directly to the actuator during the winter.

On mild days when I want just outside air, I briefly run the a/c, then turn it off. That seems to minimize the warming of the outside air. Don't know why, but maybe its the way the inner heater door panels work.
Old 01-05-10, 07:47 AM
Nikolaos
Driver School Candidate

Hey guys.

I have a 96 SC400. My AC blows like a dream, but my heat blows cold air. ICE COLD air. I live in NYC, so the weather is in the teens right now, so the heat would be much appreciated.

Sometimes I smell the heater working, sometimes I don't. Any ideas as to what the problem could be, with out taking it to a mechanic?

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: heat not working