ES - 1st to 4th Gen (1990-2006) Forum for all 1990 - 2006 ES300 and ES330 models. ES250 topics go here as well.

How do you program a replacement key for a 1999 ES300?

Old 10-01-07, 12:58 PM
kfit103710
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How do you program a replacement key for a 1999 ES300?

Hi,
I purchased a replacement key for my 1999 ES 300 yesterday at Ace Hardware for 40 bucks. I checked it before I left the store and the car accepted the key right away. Today, however, the car will not take the new key. I found on line, some instructions for programming a new key. The instructions say to press the gas pedal 6 times, the brake5 times, then put the new key in and the car will program it in one minute. But it will not work. My old key works fine, but when I try the new key, the car will not start. Any ideas on what I am doing wrong? Thanks. I'd sure like to have a spare key.
Old 10-01-07, 07:45 PM
RawGin
Driver

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sho...=129035&page=2

check that out.. near the middle of the page.. should help
Old 10-02-07, 05:09 AM
kfit103710
Driver School Candidate

Default Still need help....

Thanks RawGin, but that is for the remote, not the key. On the 1999 the remote and the key are separate items. I am looking for how to program the key. My remote works fine.
Anybody else ever programmed a replacement key?
Old 10-19-07, 09:32 PM
tryno
Driver School Candidate

Did you get ACE to make you a new key off the original? I was told they could not do that.
Old 10-19-07, 09:45 PM
Choas
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

^Good luck with getting a key cut I believe only the dealership can do it.
Old 12-20-10, 09:04 AM
Benbendx
Pole Position

How would you do this without the remote key
Old 12-20-10, 06:34 PM
DixonPai
Instructor

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Benbendx
How would you do this without the remote key
What do you mean? you only do that to set up a new remote, but if you don't have the remote then you cant do it. Maybe I am not understanding your question?
Old 12-20-10, 07:37 PM
sphillips
Rookie

Best to go to the dealer. I ordered a replacement key from my closest dealer (250miles), gave them a copy of the registration showing ownership and vin, they made a new key and sent ups for $48.
Old 12-21-10, 02:14 PM
LarryParker
Driver

Originally Posted by sphillips
Best to go to the dealer. I ordered a replacement key from my closest dealer (250miles), gave them a copy of the registration showing ownership and vin, they made a new key and sent ups for $48.
OK, but the key still needs to be programmed, or it will not start your car's engine. An unprogrammed key will open the door and the trunk, and the key will turn in the ignition, but it definitely will not start the engine until the key has been programmed. The main way of programming a new key is by using an old master key that has been programmed previously and still works to start the engine.

Read this:
http://www.locksmithcharley.com/toyotapostflash.pdf

The second way to program a key (and the second most expensive), is to take the ECU (Engine Control Unit or Module) out of the car and have it re-flashed, like I did, at Locksmith Charley's.

The third way, and most expensive way, is to get a brand new ECU at Lexus, and have them replace yours and then make and program some keys... Lexu$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$
Old 12-21-10, 08:08 PM
sphillips
Rookie

Originally Posted by LarryParker
OK, but the key still needs to be programmed, or it will not start your car's engine. An unprogrammed key will open the door and the trunk, and the key will turn in the ignition, but it definitely will not start the engine until the key has been programmed. The main way of programming a new key is by using an old master key that has been programmed previously and still works to start the engine.

Read this:
http://www.locksmithcharley.com/toyotapostflash.pdf

The second way to program a key (and the second most expensive), is to take the ECU (Engine Control Unit or Module) out of the car and have it re-flashed, like I did, at Locksmith Charley's.

The third way, and most expensive way, is to get a brand new ECU at Lexus, and have them replace yours and then make and program some keys... Lexu$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

All the need is the vin to program the key. Its not a problem. Mine works just fine in the ignition, truck and doors.
Old 12-21-10, 08:15 PM
LarryParker
Driver

Well, then my 2000 ES's system must be different than your year.
Old 12-21-10, 08:21 PM
sphillips
Rookie

Yes, that very well could be. Not sure if they changed systems from '97-'99. Godd luck with it though.
Old 12-24-10, 07:53 AM
snowdogg
Driver School Candidate

Bought my 2000 ES300 w/o remote key and was told by Lexus dealer it is $600 to get 2 new programmed keys, a new computer chip and I'd would have to leave the car all day. Declined... just hoping I don't lose the only key I have!
Old 12-27-10, 12:48 AM
Benbendx
Pole Position

I don't have a remote and Larry is right. I need to program it to start my car. If you didn't know there's a chip inside every Lexus key to start the ignition to prevent thefts. So I was just asking if anyone knows how to program it without the remote/valet key.
Old 12-29-10, 01:12 PM
LarryParker
Driver

Benbendx,

How are you driving the car now, if you don't have a remote master key or a non-remote master key? I guess then you must be using only a light grey valet key.

If a valet key is all you have, that happened to me after I bought my 2000 ES used in 2005. The salesman walked out and said, here's the only key!

But if all you have is a valet key, then you can not program a master key using that. You would either have your ECU reflashed, at a place like Locksmith Charley's (link above), or pay Lexu$$ to replace your ECU and have them cut and program new keys. They also always want to sell you remote master keys, meaning keys with buttons, whereas I myself have non-remote master keys, (which I ordered online), meaning keys without buttons, which are far cheaper, although they can't open the doors from a distance. No big deal for the cost savings.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: How do you program a replacement key for a 1999 ES300?