Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

Auto Tilt Steering Wheel Fix

Old 12-10-10, 09:20 AM
ScJz
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Auto Tilt Steering Wheel Fix

First I would like to give credit to c_irie for providing his write up on how to fix it ( https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sc-...ng-repair.html ), which is where I got most my info on how to fix mine!...So Thank you! Now I would like to provide my own with pics and tutorials.

Problem: When Steering Wheel is tryin to be adjusted with auto stick or auto tilt...It does not move and just makes a loud grinding noise

Explanation: There is a gear/ "worm wheel" inside of the column that assist in adjusting the steering wheel. This gear/"worm wheel" has come out of "alignment" with the coil/"worm". Making the gear just grind on the edge of the teeth instead of the teeth being inline and fitting inside the coil correctly.

Fix: Install a washer behind and in front of gear to align it back into place.

Tools Needed:

(1) Phillips Screwdriver
(2) Paper Clips/ Angled Picks
(1) 1/4" Ratchet
(1) 1/4" 10mm Socket
(1) 8mm Wrench
(2) 9/16's Washers
(1) Dollar [3/$1.12 at Lowes Hardware]

First Step:
The casing around the steering column needs to be replaced. First thing to do is remove 3 screws. Will need phillips head screwdriver

Second Step
Next step is to pop the case off...all that is necessary is the lower half. No need to take the top half off. To do this you press above and below the crack with each thumb and push in and pry apart. Same thing on both sides.

Third Step
This is what will be exposed on the left side under the lever. You want to remove these 3 screws. This is where you use the 8mm wrench. After you remove them that plate slides out towards you. Then you should be able to see inside and see the gear and coil. (worm and worm wheel)

As you can see in the picture above ^ the gear is inset more than it should be only allowing the edge of it to rotate on the coil. It needs to be positioned out more to be lined directly under the coil so the whole surface of the gear is in contact.
Fourth Step
First thing to do is use your 10mm socket and ratchet to remove the nut holding the gear in place. Unfortunately I forgot to get pictures of how to pull the gear out but this is where the 2 paper clips or picks would come in hand. Get the bends of your utensils behind the gear and start gently pulling on the gear making it pull out towards you until it is all the way out. Once it is all the way out you want to install the first washer on the gear shaft. Then put the gear back on and then install the second washer. If there is any confusion on this part, ask and I will take the time to get pics to help out so you can see better. Below are the washers I used for this project from Lowes' Hardware. Again it cost me $1.12 for a pack of 3

Now in the above pic you can see how the gear is closer to you and aligned more on the coil and how the outside washer is on. Now you can start putting everything back together
Hopefully this helps some people out. I know it helped me out. If there are any questions about the process please ask I will do my best to help.

Thank you

Last edited by ScJz; 12-10-10 at 09:05 PM.
Old 12-10-10, 09:31 AM
mak89
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

There are couple threads about this. Bought my car using this problem to talk down the price. Fixed it using a zip-tie and clip the end b/c I didnt have the correct washer size. Anyways it works just as good.
Old 12-10-10, 09:46 AM
kez
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

tuning in
Old 12-10-10, 09:53 AM
OaklandLex
Pole Position

I'm gona disable mine so it won't mess up only turnin it on for special occasions lol but yea I'm tuned in too!
Old 12-10-10, 12:18 PM
SCVIP300
Pole Position

waiting for pics... this **** just happened to me for the first time the other week.....very irritating....
Old 12-10-10, 01:38 PM
BigGreen
Lead Lap

in on this
Old 12-10-10, 02:01 PM
abounly
Lexus Champion

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Pictures step by step will help this thread be more useful than the other. Good job giving credit though!
Old 12-10-10, 03:34 PM
spdrcr771
Lexus Champion

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

I fixed mine & just fixed another CL members last weekend. I used a larger washer. drilled out the center to fit over the shaft the 10mm nut screw's on to. Then i drilled 2 tiny holes on ether side of the center of the gear. Center'ed the washer on the gear with vice grip pliers. Then used the same drill bit back through the back side of the gear to mark my holes to drill through the washer. The tiny screws that I bought were @ home depot. Its the smallest fine thread flat head screw they got & shortest. so thats where i matched my drill bit too. once the washer is drilled out to the same holes on the gear, then screw the washter down to the gear. If you can find a smaller head screw you will not have to do this, but you will have to grind down alittle of the head of the screw, that is closest to the center, cause the 10mm nut that you use to put the gear back on with, will not rotate all the way around to tighten all the way down. But after grinding your done. Its permantly fixed. If this DIY is not as good then maybe ill make one.
Old 12-10-10, 05:59 PM
ScJz
Driver

some pics posted
Old 12-10-10, 09:11 PM
ScJz
Driver

Originally Posted by OaklandLex
I'm gona disable mine so it won't mess up only turnin it on for special occasions lol but yea I'm tuned in too!
I know exactly what you mean!
Old 12-10-10, 09:13 PM
ScJz
Driver

Originally Posted by mak89
There are couple threads about this. Bought my car using this problem to talk down the price. Fixed it using a zip-tie and clip the end b/c I didnt have the correct washer size. Anyways it works just as good.
hey as long as it works
Old 12-10-10, 09:17 PM
ScJz
Driver

Originally Posted by spdrcr771
I fixed mine & just fixed another CL members last weekend. I used a larger washer. drilled out the center to fit over the shaft the 10mm nut screw's on to. Then i drilled 2 tiny holes on ether side of the center of the gear. Center'ed the washer on the gear with vice grip pliers. Then used the same drill bit back through the back side of the gear to mark my holes to drill through the washer. The tiny screws that I bought were @ home depot. Its the smallest fine thread flat head screw they got & shortest. so thats where i matched my drill bit too. once the washer is drilled out to the same holes on the gear, then screw the washter down to the gear. If you can find a smaller head screw you will not have to do this, but you will have to grind down alittle of the head of the screw, that is closest to the center, cause the 10mm nut that you use to put the gear back on with, will not rotate all the way around to tighten all the way down. But after grinding your done. Its permantly fixed. If this DIY is not as good then maybe ill make one.
I apologize ahead of time if it is not
Old 01-02-11, 10:14 AM
Dtwillis5
Pole Position

Default steering wheel go up and down but not back and forward how i fix that

Steering wheel do not back and forward how I fix it
Originally Posted by ScJz
First I would like to give credit to c_irie for providing his write up on how to fix it ( https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sc-...ng-repair.html ), which is where I got most my info on how to fix mine!...So Thank you! Now I would like to provide my own with pics and tutorials.

Problem: When Steering Wheel is tryin to be adjusted with auto stick or auto tilt...It does not move and just makes a loud grinding noise

Explanation: There is a gear/ "worm wheel" inside of the column that assist in adjusting the steering wheel. This gear/"worm wheel" has come out of "alignment" with the coil/"worm". Making the gear just grind on the edge of the teeth instead of the teeth being inline and fitting inside the coil correctly.

Fix: Install a washer behind and in front of gear to align it back into place.

Tools Needed:

(1) Phillips Screwdriver
(2) Paper Clips/ Angled Picks
(1) 1/4" Ratchet
(1) 1/4" 10mm Socket
(1) 8mm Wrench
(2) 9/16's Washers
(1) Dollar [3/$1.12 at Lowes Hardware]

First Step:
The casing around the steering column needs to be replaced. First thing to do is remove 3 screws. Will need phillips head screwdriver

Second Step
Next step is to pop the case off...all that is necessary is the lower half. No need to take the top half off. To do this you press above and below the crack with each thumb and push in and pry apart. Same thing on both sides.

Third Step
This is what will be exposed on the left side under the lever. You want to remove these 3 screws. This is where you use the 8mm wrench. After you remove them that plate slides out towards you. Then you should be able to see inside and see the gear and coil. (worm and worm wheel)

As you can see in the picture above ^ the gear is inset more than it should be only allowing the edge of it to rotate on the coil. It needs to be positioned out more to be lined directly under the coil so the whole surface of the gear is in contact.
Fourth Step
First thing to do is use your 10mm socket and ratchet to remove the nut holding the gear in place. Unfortunately I forgot to get pictures of how to pull the gear out but this is where the 2 paper clips or picks would come in hand. Get the bends of your utensils behind the gear and start gently pulling on the gear making it pull out towards you until it is all the way out. Once it is all the way out you want to install the first washer on the gear shaft. Then put the gear back on and then install the second washer. If there is any confusion on this part, ask and I will take the time to get pics to help out so you can see better. Below are the washers I used for this project from Lowes' Hardware. Again it cost me $1.12 for a pack of 3

Now in the above pic you can see how the gear is closer to you and aligned more on the coil and how the outside washer is on. Now you can start putting everything back together
Hopefully this helps some people out. I know it helped me out. If there are any questions about the process please ask I will do my best to help.

Thank you
Old 01-02-11, 10:17 AM
Dtwillis5
Pole Position

I did the steps to fix the steering wheel it go up and down now but not back and forward how I fix it to go back and forward
Old 01-02-11, 04:44 PM
keskipper
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Dtwillis5
I did the steps to fix the steering wheel it go up and down now but not back and forward how I fix it to go back and forward
I have asked this same question before to no avail...

My tilt works fine, it's the telescoping part that stopped a few months back.

Would be interested if anyone has a fix for that issue...

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Auto Tilt Steering Wheel Fix