ES - 5th Gen (2007-2012) Discussion topics related to 2007+ ES350

Recommendations for New Tires for ES350

Old 02-28-10, 10:37 AM
JMJS49
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Recommendations for New Tires for ES350

Time to replace original tires. Any recommendations on a brand and model that will ensure a quiet ride and last at least 40,000 miles. Thanks, JMJS
Old 02-28-10, 03:23 PM
Joeb427
Lexus Fanatic

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

V rated Bridgestone Serenity or H rated Michelin Primacy MXV4.
Old 02-28-10, 05:33 PM
JRey350hou
Intermediate

Received 62 Likes on 40 Posts

Originally Posted by JMJS49
Time to replace original tires. Any recommendations on a brand and model that will ensure a quiet ride and last at least 40,000 miles. Thanks, JMJS
I will put my vote in for Michelin MXV Primacy....had 38,000 miles on these tires on es330 just sold ( about to purch new es350 ) and they were very smooth and wore very well. They were rated at 60,000 and they were at 6-7/32 when car was sold...so they could have gone about another 10k plus before replacing . I'm A mICHELIN GUY BUT HAVE HEARD good comments on Serenity's. Good Luck
Old 03-01-10, 01:46 PM
manrx
Driver School Candidate

I had Michelin MXV Primacy V-rated on my Honda Accord. They lasted 65,000 miles on one set then 80,000 miles on the next. I would think the H-rated ones should be fine.
Old 03-02-10, 11:36 AM
JMJS49
Driver School Candidate

Default Thanks for your help

Thanks for your help with tire recommendations. I will buy the Mich. Primacy MXV4. Thanks again. JMJS49
Old 03-10-10, 09:00 AM
RichardNJ
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Has anyone felt the Michelin Primacy MXV4 tires are better on wet roads and in light snow over their original tires?

I've had my 2010 ES for just under 3 months and feel the tires are terrible. I'm not a fast driver by any means, so that's not an issue here...but driving on wet roads or light snow the traction is lousy. May be changing tires sooner rather than later.
I'd also like to go with a bit wider tire.

Or could the problem here be the car is too light for it's size and not really a tire issue? Any thoughts? Thanks.
Old 03-10-10, 09:10 AM
Joeb427
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by RichardNJ
Has anyone felt the Michelin Primacy MXV4 tires are better on wet roads and in light snow over their original tires?

I've had my 2010 ES for just under 3 months and feel the tires are terrible. I'm not a fast driver by any means, so that's not an issue here...but driving on wet roads or light snow the traction is lousy. May be changing tires sooner rather than later.
I'd also like to go with a bit wider tire.

Or could the problem here be the car is too light for it's size and not really a tire issue? Any thoughts? Thanks.
Richard,here is the stock EL 400 in a Tire Rack survey in the STANDARD touring tire class and not even the GRAND touring class.
The EL are second to the bottom.

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/survey...0&autoModClar=

The GRAND touring tires survey

I think I'm going to try the Primacy's.I will stay with the oem size.Less road noise with a less wider tire.

Last edited by Joeb427; 03-10-10 at 09:34 AM.
Old 03-10-10, 09:32 AM
RichardNJ
Rookie

Originally Posted by Joeb427
Richard,here is the stock EL 400 in a Tire Rack survey in the STANDARD touring tire class and not even the GRAND touring class.
The EL are second to the bottom.

The GRAND touring tires survey

I think I'm going to try the Primacy's.I will stay with the oem size.Less road noise with a less wider tire.
Thanks so much Joe for those links. Obviously no question there that Primacy's would be best replacements.

I had contacted someone few weeks back asking if could go to a slightly wider tire and they said could do so. Michelin Primacy MXV4 size would be 225/55R17. Would fit just fine on current wheels and won't cause any mechanical issues with the vehicle.

It's not that much larger that I'm personally worried about much added road noise, but I really would have preferred the look of a wider tire on this car of it's size and style. Would have been nice if was an option on the UL instead of just the different style rim.
Old 03-10-10, 09:39 AM
Joeb427
Lexus Fanatic

Thanks so much Joe for those links. Obviously no question there that Primacy's would be best replacements.

I had contacted someone few weeks back asking if could go to a slightly wider tire and they said could do so. Michelin Primacy MXV4 size would be 225/55R17. Would fit just fine on current wheels and won't cause any mechanical issues with the vehicle.

It's not that much larger that I'm personally worried about much added road noise, but I really would have preferred the look of a wider tire on this car of it's size and style. Would have been nice if was an option on the UL instead of just the different style rim.
Maybe not in your case...
If you want a tire that good on wet roads,Tire Rack tested rated the Bridgestone Serenity over the Primacys.A few have said that Tire RAck reps rated the Serenity's over the Primacy's in snow too.Yet the customer survey says the opposite in snow.
225/55-17 would be a .21" taller sidewall height and .4" more width and your speedometer would say 65 and you'll be at 66.07.
You know what?I may go with that size.

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tests/test112.jsp
Call Tire Rack and see what the rep says.
Old 03-10-10, 10:21 AM
RichardNJ
Rookie

Maybe not in your case...
If you want a tire that good on wet roads,Tire Rack tested rated the Bridgestone Serenity over the Primacys.A few have said that Tire RAck reps rated the Serenity's over the Primacy's in snow too.Yet the customer survey says the opposite in snow.
225/55-17 would be a .21" taller sidewall height and .4" more width and your speedometer would say 65 and you'll be at 66.07.
You know what?I may go with that size.

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tests/test112.jsp
Call Tire Rack and see what the rep says.
Old 03-10-10, 10:29 AM
Joeb427
Lexus Fanatic

I'm a bad judge a reading sarcasm...so is your real advice stay with the same crappy size tires?
I think I'd prefer an accurate speedometer.

No,I actually just ordered the 225/55-17's 'H' rated Primacy's from Tire Rack.They do have the 'V' rated in that size too.
I don't mind the speedometer being 1 MPH off.
I prefer the .21" taller sidewall and the 'H' rating over the 'V' for better ride comfort.
The Tire Rack rep said there won't be any more road noise with the tire being .4" wider and I'll like the look of the wider tire..
Old 03-10-10, 10:42 AM
overclock
Pit Crew

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Will the speedo be 1 MPH + or -? Most speedos read 2 MPH over the actual speed already. This is within federal regulations. You'd think that in the year 2010 a speedo could be engineered to be dead spot on. I had a 1994 Volvo 940 that was dead spot on. Then why if they can engineer a speedo to be perfectly accurate don't they? Because the warranty will expire about 3% faster. Honda knows all too well about this lawsuit on the Odyssey, my other car.
Old 03-10-10, 12:47 PM
SickES350
Pole Position

falken 912 215/55/17 is good bang for your buck. grips pretty well, pretty quiet, and it last pretty well also.
Old 03-10-10, 01:08 PM
RichardNJ
Rookie

No,I actually just ordered the 225/55-17's 'H' rated Primacy's from Tire Rack.They do have the 'V' rated in that size too.
I don't mind the speedometer being 1 MPH off.
I prefer the .21" taller sidewall and the 'H' rating over the 'V' for better ride comfort.
The Tire Rack rep said there won't be any more road noise with the tire being .4" wider and I'll like the look of the wider tire..
Ok Will need your review when get them.

Now I'm confused between those and the Bridgestone Serenity you brought to my attention.
Old 03-10-10, 01:24 PM
Joeb427
Lexus Fanatic

Ok Will need your review when get them.

Now I'm confused between those and the Bridgestone Serenity you brought to my attention.
Check your private messages.
You have one.

Joe

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Recommendations for New Tires for ES350