IS - 1st Gen (2001-2005) Discussion about the IS models up to the 2005 model

2002 IS 300 Rear Speakers ... help

Search this Thread

Old 11-22-10, 10:23 AM
jdmba
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2002 IS 300 Rear Speakers ... help

I think I need to replace one of my 2002 IS 300 rear speakers; although the car has so many things wrong with it at this point, that I don't want to pour more cash into an unnecessary.

Can anyone tell me:

1) What speaker I would buy to replace it?
2) Is it easy/hard to replace and how.

Thanks!
Old 11-22-10, 10:44 AM
ais300c
Pole Position

I put my rears in a few weeks ago, you need 6x9 speakers and just get some like pioneers from walmart. You have to take out the back seat in order to change the speakers and it's not terribly hard you need a 12mm and a 10mm to get everything out if you know about cars it's pretty simple
Old 11-22-10, 11:41 AM
llllllllll
Lexus Champion

I dunno, I wouldn't put walmart speakers in my lexus.
Sure they are pioneer, but walmart has only low end stuff.

Maybe it's just me
Old 11-22-10, 06:32 PM
jdmba
Driver School Candidate

Default :)

Don't worry ... this project ended with the phrase "remove the back seat."

Take apart a computer and figure out why it won't start, sure. Take out a back seat ... nope! I think I could identify what part is the radiator though
Old 11-22-10, 08:12 PM
Avarec
Lexus Test Driver

hahhahahha this guy is good ^
Old 11-22-10, 09:40 PM
03LexIS300
Lead Lap

I have 2 factory rear speakers for sale out of my old 04 IS300 that got totaled.
Old 11-22-10, 09:43 PM
llllllllll
Lexus Champion

Haha

Oh and I think the way to access the back speakers is from the trunk
And you might have to take off the back deck lid part under the rear window to get to a couple screws up top.

Or under the hood next to the radiator..
Old 11-23-10, 11:45 AM
jdmba
Driver School Candidate

Default :)

SO many things are wrong with this IS300 (with less than 40,000 miles on it), I cant fathom that it is a Lexus. Nav wont read the map disk (Lexus never did own up to a systemic problem), leather hood on the parking brake keeps engaging it just enough to put the brake light on, rear speaker blown (I do not listen to loud music), gear shift **** glue dried out and the top came off (that was funny; how 'cheap' that solid-looking **** actually is). My favorite was when water got into a headlight ... $2200 because you can't change a headlight; you have to change the assembly.

I suspect Carmax is going to have a field day with it at some point
Old 11-23-10, 01:11 PM
llllllllll
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by jdmba
SO many things are wrong with this IS300 (with less than 40,000 miles on it), I cant fathom that it is a Lexus. Nav wont read the map disk (Lexus never did own up to a systemic problem), leather hood on the parking brake keeps engaging it just enough to put the brake light on, rear speaker blown (I do not listen to loud music), gear shift **** glue dried out and the top came off (that was funny; how 'cheap' that solid-looking **** actually is). My favorite was when water got into a headlight ... $2200 because you can't change a headlight; you have to change the assembly.

I suspect Carmax is going to have a field day with it at some point
Wait...... You paid $2,200 for a new headlight??
Old 11-23-10, 03:39 PM
jdmba
Driver School Candidate

Nope - My wife and I take our Lexii to the same dealer for service, and based on the relationship with the service advisor, he got them to eat the cost and charged us only labor. The entire headlight assembly is, however, very new, so they did replace the whole unit. I guess if the seals go and water intrudes, that's what they gotta do.
Old 11-23-10, 05:39 PM
ais300c
Pole Position

I am not sure if there was mockery in my statement but by all means please try and replace the rear speakers but a few "bolts" on the cover or through the trunk. If it was that simple I would not have taken the back seat out but then again maybe you can just tryin to help...
Old 11-23-10, 07:06 PM
llllllllll
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by ais300c
I am not sure if there was mockery in my statement but by all means please try and replace the rear speakers but a few "bolts" on the cover or through the trunk. If it was that simple I would not have taken the back seat out but then again maybe you can just tryin to help...

Nah bro, it's all good!

Re-read his last statement: "Take apart a computer... sure. Take out a back seat... nope"
He is just saying that he is technically inclined but doesn't really know about cars well enough to be trying to remove the back seat.
And he backs up this statement by saying "I think I could identify what part is the radiator though"

Last edited by llllllllll; 11-23-10 at 07:11 PM.
Old 11-24-10, 01:03 AM
Hype VVTi
Driver School Candidate

they are 6x9 speakers. and it all depends on what you want to do with your car audio in the future. if u are planning to upgrade to an aftermarket amp then i would say get some good speakers like alpine or kickers. the rears speaker i believe are mainly for our bass. they get more lows and our 6.5 fronts are the full range speakers. but if u want just to replace them then some pioneers would do the job or sony i guess.
Old 11-24-10, 06:50 AM
MY2J
Pole Position

first off, you can't just buy any regular 6x9 speakers for the rear. Our factory 6x9's are 2ohm speakers. I suggest you buy some used factory speakers to avoid any problems unless you want to do a full system upgrade.

also, you cannot access the speakers through the trunk. the rear seat must be removed (both top and bottom cushions)... from there you remove the back lid and eventually see the bolts holding the 6x9's in.
Old 11-24-10, 03:40 PM
Hype VVTi
Driver School Candidate

my bad if you are swaping out rear speakers u would need a cap for the speakers or a cross over. if your rears a blown then ill upgrade the head unit with an amp bypass and run new speakers.

Quick Reply: 2002 IS 300 Rear Speakers ... help