LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) Discussion topics related to the 1990 - 2000 Lexus LS400

VIN# / Engine Serial number verification?

Search this Thread

Old 10-29-10, 02:07 AM
somnoboy
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default VIN# / Engine Serial number verification?

Hi folks: On a 92 LS400, is there any way to match an engine serial number to a vin# to verify that the engine now in the car is in fact the same one that was installed in the car by the factory at birth?
Old 10-29-10, 06:27 AM
billydpowe
Lexus Champion

Received 172 Likes on 130 Posts

none that I have ever heard of, why?
Old 10-29-10, 06:56 PM
ROLEXUS400
Rookie

vin code is on the side of the block,metal tag similar to the one on the dash
Old 10-30-10, 03:55 PM
somnoboy
Pole Position

Default billydpowell

Originally Posted by billydpowe
none that I have ever heard of, why?
I'm trying to figure out why my A/C, which was working perfectly fine and silently, would suddenly start to make noise immediately after a Lexus dealer changed the timing belt. The dealer kept the car overnight. While the engine otherwise seems to drive well, it isn't quite as smooth and quiet as it was prior to the timing belt change.

Last edited by somnoboy; 10-30-10 at 03:59 PM.
Old 10-30-10, 03:57 PM
somnoboy
Pole Position

Default Rolex

Originally Posted by ROLEXUS400
vin code is on the side of the block,metal tag similar to the one on the dash
Is it visible without taking anything apart? I've found a number stamped on the top of the engine.

Does anyone know if I can simply call Lexus and have them verify that the two numbers belong with each other?
Old 10-30-10, 05:35 PM
PureDrifter
BahHumBug

Received 94 Likes on 86 Posts

are you serious....do you really think that the lexus dealership is going to swap your engine out for the hell of it?! their total labor is worth more than the CAR is!! (or damn close, no offense)

plus, even if by some miracle you find that the engines are different, you have absolutely no way of proving that THEY swapped it out and not the previous owner since you didn't check before taking them the car.

your problem can be explained my other (multiple) reasons.
Old 10-30-10, 08:05 PM
billydpowe
Lexus Champion

Received 172 Likes on 130 Posts

have your lawyer call the dealer..............
Old 10-31-10, 10:42 AM
somnoboy
Pole Position

Originally Posted by PureDrifter
are you serious....do you really think that the lexus dealership is going to swap your engine out for the hell of it?! their total labor is worth more than the CAR is!! (or damn close, no offense)

plus, even if by some miracle you find that the engines are different, you have absolutely no way of proving that THEY swapped it out and not the previous owner since you didn't check before taking them the car.

your problem can be explained my other (multiple) reasons.
I AM the original owner. I purchased the car NEW from a Lexus dealership.
Old 10-31-10, 10:44 AM
somnoboy
Pole Position

Originally Posted by billydpowe
have your lawyer call the dealer..............
It may very well come to that. First, let me just verify the number match. I have found an engine serial number on the block, and I'll call Lexus to get a match.
Old 10-31-10, 03:20 PM
PureDrifter
BahHumBug

why don't you just get the VIN off the engine block and match it to the VIN on the car....

should be on the side of the block iirc...as another member mentioned
Old 10-31-10, 04:11 PM
somnoboy
Pole Position

Originally Posted by PureDrifter
why don't you just get the VIN off the engine block and match it to the VIN on the car....

should be on the side of the block iirc...as another member mentioned
I'm sorry to be such a new guy at this, but if you could please enlighten me: what do you mean by "iirc"? Is the VIN on the engine block visible without taking apart anything else on the engine?

In other words, is it visible by simply lifting the hood? Thanks in advance.
Old 10-31-10, 04:59 PM
PureDrifter
BahHumBug

Originally Posted by somnoboy
I'm sorry to be such a new guy at this, but if you could please enlighten me: what do you mean by "iirc"? Is the VIN on the engine block visible without taking apart anything else on the engine?

In other words, is it visible by simply lifting the hood? Thanks in advance.
iirc=if i remember correctly

i dont believe so, its' on the engine block itself. you could try jacking the car up, taking the splash shields off, and rooting around with a flashlight and a mirror.

i stand by my earlier statement that they have no real reason to switch the engine given their loss of labor......
Old 11-01-10, 06:22 PM
ROLEXUS400
Rookie

My mind wanders, why do you wonder if it has been changed?.................since your the original owner i mean?
Old 11-01-10, 09:46 PM
PK_Celsior
Lexus Test Driver

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by ROLEXUS400
My mind wanders, why do you wonder if it has been changed?.................since your the original owner i mean?
he probably believes his motor been swap, because before sending his car for service it was running fine, and after he got it back it runs like crap. I betcha the mechanic messed up somewhere after the installation and didn't catch it. we are all human anything can happen. i dont really care if you went to schooling to become a mechanic theres always a chance for error. i would just send the car back to the dealership to get reinspected.
Old 11-02-10, 02:01 AM
somnoboy
Pole Position

Default Rolex, PK

Originally Posted by PK_Celsior
he probably believes his motor been swap, because before sending his car for service it was running fine, and after he got it back it runs like crap. I betcha the mechanic messed up somewhere after the installation and didn't catch it. we are all human anything can happen. i dont really care if you went to schooling to become a mechanic theres always a chance for error. i would just send the car back to the dealership to get reinspected.
Bingo. The scam goes as follows: Engine stolen from car A. Engine A put into car B (without knowledge of owner B). Car B engine sold onto open market without car B serial #/VIN ever being reported as stolen. Car B owner drives around without ever knowing that he actually has stolen car A engine under hood.

I am EXTREMELY reluctant to go back to that Lexus dealership. Even before the service, I had a very bad feeling about the service department there. I'll call the police before I ever go back there again.

Quick Reply: VIN# / Engine Serial number verification?