GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

Popping noise

Search this Thread

Old 10-31-10, 07:30 PM
MU521
Driver School Candidate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Popping noise

Replace lower ball joints 2k miles ago, but still have a creaking. what could it be?
Old 10-31-10, 07:48 PM
ivnnln
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by MU521
Replace lower ball joints 2k miles ago, but still have a creaking. what could it be?
how does it makes noise? Like during turn the wheel to the right and left, stop and go from the stop light while applying the break, go over bump, drive in and out off the driveway, what kind of speed the noise produce like slow or fast, what have you done to the vehicle lately beside changing the LBJ? Those are the symptoms that can help narrow down the problems. Also, where the noise seems to generate either from left or right side, front or back and so on. tell us a little bit more details also list the model and year too and miles.
Old 11-01-10, 12:07 PM
MU521
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by ivnnln
how does it makes noise? Like during turn the wheel to the right and left, stop and go from the stop light while applying the break, go over bump, drive in and out off the driveway, what kind of speed the noise produce like slow or fast, what have you done to the vehicle lately beside changing the LBJ? Those are the symptoms that can help narrow down the problems. Also, where the noise seems to generate either from left or right side, front or back and so on. tell us a little bit more details also list the model and year too and miles.
Hey the only thing i have changed once i got the car was the lower ball joints around 2 thousands miles ago. it has 131,000 miles, year 1999. It does not make the noise when i go over bump at a low speed. the noise occurs when i drive between 0-10 miles per hour. It comes and goes. it seems almost as if it happens when there is a shift in the weight of the car. The noise does not happen backing out of the driveway or going into one, nor does it really happen when i turn the steering wheel.
Old 11-01-10, 01:22 PM
tinman
Intermediate

Mine does the same thing. It happens when i first put it into gear and back out of the garage. After moving a few feet, about half the time I will hear a *POP* from a front end. I do not feel anything on the wheel, or on my seat, when this happens. Have not been able to figure it out.
Old 11-01-10, 06:58 PM
tiger4life
Instructor

Received 36 Likes on 26 Posts

happens to me in the morning when I back out too. but i do need to change my balljoints so hopefully that gets rid of it. my car has done it while turned off and parked though so i'm confused.
Old 11-01-10, 09:08 PM
36Chambers
Pole Position

Upper ball joints. Mine has been this lately aswell.
Old 11-01-10, 10:34 PM
ivnnln
Pole Position

Originally Posted by MU521
Hey the only thing i have changed once i got the car was the lower ball joints around 2 thousands miles ago. it has 131,000 miles, year 1999. It does not make the noise when i go over bump at a low speed. the noise occurs when i drive between 0-10 miles per hour. It comes and goes. it seems almost as if it happens when there is a shift in the weight of the car. The noise does not happen backing out of the driveway or going into one, nor does it really happen when i turn the steering wheel.
Have you try parking your car on a level surface and rock it all four corners if you hear any noise coming from the springs or the shocks? The noise that you have at 0-10 mph, is it when you star to accelerate from the stop, or when you're applying the brake during at that speed? Also, when you are having this noise, was it only driving alone or with some passengers? You can also jack the car up and put it on the stands, get a 1-2ft pipe and put under the middle of the tire, then with your two hands, pull the pipe up to shake the wheel if you can generate the same noise on each wheel. By doing so, you can tell whether the noise generated from any suspension components. Good luck.
Old 11-02-10, 08:15 AM
raceforgt
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by tinman
Mine does the same thing. It happens when i first put it into gear and back out of the garage. After moving a few feet, about half the time I will hear a *POP* from a front end. I do not feel anything on the wheel, or on my seat, when this happens. Have not been able to figure it out.

Originally Posted by tiger4life
happens to me in the morning when I back out too. but i do need to change my balljoints so hopefully that gets rid of it. my car has done it while turned off and parked though so i'm confused.
What you guys are describing is the infamous pad shifting noise that had a TSB issued for it. When you back out of a parking spot and hit the brakes, you hear a loud clink or pop (only the first time). Then you move forward and as soon as you brake again (only the first time) you hear a very similar clink/pop. Every time you shift direction and brake it does it. Is this the scenario?? If so, get the brake fitting kit (Sewellparts.com) install it and the noise should be gone. There's a good thread if you search, about this problem and the fix. It definitely worked for many who claimed the same problems.

Originally Posted by 36Chambers
Upper ball joints. Mine has been this lately aswell.
??? What are upper ball joints ??? I've heard many people use this term when it comes to the GS but when I researched it in the factory repair manuals, the term does not exist. Do you mean upper control arms?
Old 11-02-10, 11:54 AM
Agent0024
Pole Position

Originally Posted by raceforgt
What you guys are describing is the infamous pad shifting noise that had a TSB issued for it. When you back out of a parking spot and hit the brakes, you hear a loud clink or pop (only the first time). Then you move forward and as soon as you brake again (only the first time) you hear a very similar clink/pop. Every time you shift direction and brake it does it. Is this the scenario?? If so, get the brake fitting kit (Sewellparts.com) install it and the noise should be gone. There's a good thread if you search, about this problem and the fix. It definitely worked for many who claimed the same problems.

??? What are upper ball joints ??? I've heard many people use this term when it comes to the GS but when I researched it in the factory repair manuals, the term does not exist. Do you mean upper control arms?
It is the ball-joint on the front upper control arms that he's referring to. You can't replace this ball-joint separately, you will have to buy the whole upper control arm. I had the same popping problem before and it was fixed by replacing the upper control arms. The popping noise in my case was caused by the worn out ball-joints in these upper arms.

You can buy these arms from Rockauto or you can get the SPC arms like I did. With the SPC you can replace the ball-joints separately unlike the OEM arms.
Old 11-02-10, 10:39 PM
MU521
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by ivnnln
Have you try parking your car on a level surface and rock it all four corners if you hear any noise coming from the springs or the shocks? The noise that you have at 0-10 mph, is it when you star to accelerate from the stop, or when you're applying the brake during at that speed? Also, when you are having this noise, was it only driving alone or with some passengers? You can also jack the car up and put it on the stands, get a 1-2ft pipe and put under the middle of the tire, then with your two hands, pull the pipe up to shake the wheel if you can generate the same noise on each wheel. By doing so, you can tell whether the noise generated from any suspension components. Good luck.
Thanks for the explanation, but u didnt explain what it could be. You only told me what to do. An yes, when i rock the front left tire i can here it
Old 11-02-10, 10:50 PM
toy4life86
Lead Lap

i believe it is your upper balljoint if it makes the noise when u rock it so thats probably why he told you to do to try it so you can figure it out
Old 11-03-10, 06:24 AM
raceforgt
Rookie

I would still like to know what an "upper ball joint" is. Everyone talks about it but when you research it (I have the full repair manuals) the part does not exist. The upper control arms do have ball joints with them but so do half a dozen other suspension parts in the car. If you called every part that has a ball joint attached to it that- upper or lower or rear, everything would be a ball joint. I just did my outer tie rods and even they have ball joints attached to them. So to clear up the confusion for all others, by upper ball joints does everyone mean upper control arms?
I would absolutely 100% need to know for sure these are the culprit behind the noise I'm hearing before I dished out almost $700 (and that's getting them cheap) to replace them.
Old 11-03-10, 07:58 AM
onyxgs400
Driver School Candidate

I would still like to know what an "upper ball joint" is. Everyone talks about it but when you research it (I have the full repair manuals) the part does not exist. The upper control arms do have ball joints with them but so do half a dozen other suspension parts in the car. If you called every part that has a ball joint attached to it that- upper or lower or rear, everything would be a ball joint. I just did my outer tie rods and even they have ball joints attached to them. So to clear up the confusion for all others, by upper ball joints does everyone mean upper control arms?
I would absolutely 100% need to know for sure these are the culprit behind the noise I'm hearing before I dished out almost $700 (and that's getting them cheap) to replace them.
Ball joints are all over any car you see out on the road; its a suspension component that helps to a) enable parts to move and still stay in place without tension/breaking as well as b) enable the weight to be distributed evenly across the specific parts that are bearing the load.

The upper ball joints that everyone is referring to are the ball joints on the control arm. These are prone to having the boot that covers the actual ball joint split or tear and then the grease in there mixes with road debris, rocks, sand, dirt etc which eventually causes wear on the ball joint and dries it up and it becomes prone to failure.

Just to give you an idea I've changed out my front lower ball joints, front upper control arms, inner and outer tie rods, and all associated bushings from daizen are on my car. I still get the issues sometime with the clanking and the knocking/pinging etc but the car drives 100% better.
Old 11-03-10, 10:23 AM
Agent0024
Pole Position

There are three "ball-joints" at the front of the GS. One on the tie-rod, one is the lower-ball-joint, so obviously the last ball-joint are the one on the front upper control arms. I can't see how you're confused.

Here, I'll even get you the part number so it wont be so confusing.
Right side: 48610-39085
Left side: 48630-39015

http://www.lexuspartsnow.com/Page_Pr...onentsIndex=30
Old 11-03-10, 10:54 AM
raceforgt
Rookie

Im not confused at all, thank you. Just wondering why everyone calls the upper control arm the upper ball joint. I had a feeling upper control arms are what everyone is talking about but to someone who has no idea reading this thread, if they go out and search for "upper ball joints" or ask a dealer for that part, they will be sorely misguided. I know what they are and I know where to get them.
But thank you again!

Quick Reply: Popping noise