RX - 2nd Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2004 -2009 RX330, RX350 and RX400H models

New RX330 owner needs help with lift gate leak

Old 10-11-10, 08:19 PM
infotime
Driver School Candidate

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
Default New RX330 owner needs help with lift gate leak

Just got the RX 330 today and need to get it ready for prime time. Since I bought it from a private party who was about to trade it in, it was not super clean. I'd like to get it detailed right away. However there's one problem and that's the leak in the lift gate.

The seller pointed it out to me before I bought it. There's some rubber weatherstripping coming out from underneath the of the black spoiler on the right hand side. The headliner inside has some mild stains from water getting in. The seller said water only gets in when she goes through a car wash.

Someone mentioned that there's a TSB out about this problem. But, since the vehicle's warranty has expired (2004 with 47,000 miles) it wouldn't be covered.

Is this a DIY repair? Should it be done at the dealer? Any chance I could get it done as a warranty item.

I have no idea where to start, since this is my first Lexus after having Hondas for over 20 years.
Old 10-12-10, 05:45 AM
veleno
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I really doubt they'll warranty it but maybe you can bring it in to the dealership that does the service on it and they may goodwill the problem since they've worked on the car since new.

By headliner are you referring to the panel that's under the roof or on the lift gate? If it's the lift gate then it's a panel, not a headliner. I just want to make sure I know which part you're talking about.

Say it's the panel under the spoiler, then it should be a DIY fix if the dealer won't do it. Simply remove the panels, remove spoiler, install new weather stripping (I don't think I've seen any weather stripping there though, but I did see some foam padding to avoid scratches), and reinstall spoiler/panels and you'll be good to go.
Old 10-12-10, 07:29 AM
infotime
Driver School Candidate

Yeah, it's the panel. I called it a headliner because it has the upholstered material like a headliner.

It wasn't immediately obvious how to get that stuff apart. Can you recommend a good source for instructions? How about where to get the replacement weatherstrip or padding?
Old 10-12-10, 07:44 AM
phlfly
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Look close on rear hatch/door frame it should have rubber gourmets but there are closing the holes into the door frame. Make sure there are there. I had a leak to the rear stop light, so after heavy rain I have lift a gate up and a lot water start escaping from the door frame.
Old 10-12-10, 09:52 PM
infotime
Driver School Candidate

Here's some pics:

Weatherstrip falling under right side of spoiler:

Staining of the panel on inside of lift gate. Notice that I popped off the little cover where the lift gate motor arm attaches:
Old 10-13-10, 04:41 AM
veleno
Lead Lap

Carefully start to pull at one corner of that top panel, looking for the plastic tabs that pop into the body. Stick a plastic panel remover tool (or a screw driver if you're careful) to take the tabs out. Careful not to bend/crease the panel as it'll be weak due to the water leak. You may have to pop off the sides first (at least the top part area) to get the top piece out.

Before you remove the spoiler, try to track down where the leak is coming from. If I remember correctly, the spoiler sits in a way where water should not come in unless a plastic grommet has come out. If it doesn't look like you can fix the leak without removing the spoiler then just remove the bolts, plastic tab, and pop the spoiler out. Look in the holes and you'll see the screw and plastic tab that'll need to be squeezed through the hole.

I haven't removed my spoiler in a while so hopefully my comments above prove helpful for you.

Let us know the cause of the leak once you've found it.
Old 10-13-10, 06:24 AM
infotime
Driver School Candidate

Here's a closeup of where the lift gate motor arm attaches. There's a little white clip inside. Is that the plastic tab you're referring to?

Old 10-14-10, 05:22 AM
veleno
Lead Lap

Yes those are the plastic tabs I'm referring to. They are spread out on the panel in at different points. Gently pull the panel apart just far enough to see them and pop them out.
Old 06-30-14, 12:23 PM
TriniLex
Instructor

Received 59 Likes on 47 Posts

Did you ever find that water leak?
The following users liked this post:
SJM (06-09-22)