LS - 3rd Gen (2001-2006) Discussion topics related to the flagship Lexus LS430

06 LS430 Hot plate behind gas pedal

Old 09-14-10, 11:50 AM
ZachAttack
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Question 06 LS430 Hot plate behind gas pedal

Ok did some seaching and couldn't find any mention of this.

Recently bought a 2006 ls430 and noticed the plate behind the gas pedal gets really hot. Like the kind of heat you don't feel for a second then it starts to burn bad...

Any ideas or similar happenings. I know it's a case of "just dont put your foot under/besides it" but still!

-- Zach
Old 09-14-10, 12:53 PM
CarGuy89
Lexus Test Driver

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by ZachAttack
Ok did some seaching and couldn't find any mention of this.

Recently bought a 2006 ls430 and noticed the plate behind the gas pedal gets really hot. Like the kind of heat you don't feel for a second then it starts to burn bad...

Any ideas or similar happenings. I know it's a case of "just dont put your foot under/besides it" but still!

-- Zach
Are you talking about resting your left foot? I always use the dead pedal as it is positioned very comfortably. It is also advisable to keep your left foot out of the pedal region so you don't brake by accident. If you are referring to your right foot, then there is probably something wrong as I have never felt any sort of heat down there (unless I have the heater on)...
Old 09-14-10, 01:19 PM
Jabberwock

Received 203 Likes on 166 Posts

I just checked my 06, although it had been parked in garage for 30 min after a 15 min drive. The lower mount point for the gas pedle was still warm - warmer than surrounding area. I bet its just heat transfer thru the firewall because of the mounting bolt. I'll check mine right after I drive it which should be tomorrow. some time.
Old 09-14-10, 01:20 PM
Playdrv4me
Lead Lap

Received 7 Likes on 2 Posts

There should be nothing in that region of the vehicle that is so hot to the touch that it burns your hand. I would have this inspected immediately as it sounds like a safety concern.
Old 09-14-10, 01:21 PM
CarGuy89
Lexus Test Driver

Zach Attack, are you driving with your bare feet? What Jabberwock describes sounds like something you can't feel with shoes on (at least I don't), or am I misinterpreting this?
Old 09-14-10, 01:23 PM
Playdrv4me
Lead Lap

Received 7 Likes on 2 Posts

Good point, I suppose if you are driving with bare feet the cumulative effect of normal firewall heat transfer could eventually cause a burning sensation.
Old 09-14-10, 02:08 PM
m3nv
Pole Position

Never experienced any heat coming from around the gas pedal. Maybe you should get it checked out b/c nothing should be as hot as you described. Do you feel any heat coming from the area when you're just driving around?
Old 09-14-10, 03:05 PM
caddyowner
Recovering Lexus Addict

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

After driving 42 miles home this afternoon, the only warmth I could feel with my hand was the front inside of the transmission tunnel. This carpet was only warm and is a common location for warmth on RWD cars. Can you indicate on this pic of the footwell of my 05 where the hot plate is located?
Attached Thumbnails 06 LS430 Hot plate behind gas pedal-footwell.jpg  
Old 09-14-10, 04:58 PM
CarGuy89
Lexus Test Driver

Yeah a car should never be hot without turning on heat, especially not scalding. I would definitely get that checked out if I were you. Is the heat plate that bit of metal (above the brake/gas pedals) in Caddy's pic?

EDIT: Or is that metal? It looks metallic from this point of view but knowing Lexus it is probably just some soft cloth material.
Old 09-14-10, 07:30 PM
caddyowner
Recovering Lexus Addict

Aside from the mechanical and electrical components, everything else in the pic is soft.
Old 09-14-10, 07:40 PM
Jabberwock

Received 203 Likes on 166 Posts

Where I felt warmth (relative to other surfaces/parts) was on the lower mounting bolt(s) that attaches the lower part of the gas pedal to the floor. My uninformed amateur mechanic guess is that bolt runs thru the floor into engine bay/exhaust area and conducts heat back into the interior.
Old 09-14-10, 07:49 PM
caddyowner
Recovering Lexus Addict

BTW, I'm thrilled to again be driving a car with a proper accelerator that is hinged from the bottom.
Old 09-14-10, 08:22 PM
CarGuy89
Lexus Test Driver

It doesn't make sense that something like that bolt would generate a scalding amount of heat though...unless it was mounted directly on top of a high friction moving part (which doesn't sound like this car considering how well engineered this car is...). You may have something overheating down there (engine, trans, driveshaft) causing an abnormal amount of heat to be released. Even if that bolt was scalding hot, how the heck would you be able to feel that? From Jabberwock's description, the warm area is behind the gas pedal...
Old 09-15-10, 07:24 AM
ZachAttack
Rookie

I drive without shoes a lot and after maybe a 30 minute drive I noticed the heat when I parked waiting for someone. The heat is mostly from the bolts it seems, I guess I need to go up to Lexus (or call at least), 2.5 hrs away tho...

Last edited by ZachAttack; 09-15-10 at 07:30 AM. Reason: cleared up rambles
Old 09-15-10, 07:28 AM
caddyowner
Recovering Lexus Addict

It sounds like JW hit the nail on the head. An exhaust pipe probably runs near that point under the car and the heat is being conducted through the bolt. Being parked with the engine running probably allows the heat to build up v. being disapated when the car is moving.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 06 LS430 Hot plate behind gas pedal