ES - 5th Gen (2007-2012) Discussion topics related to 2007+ ES350

XM install in Lexus set up for SAT

Search this Thread

Old 08-03-10, 11:30 AM
jhkunkel
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default XM install in Lexus set up for SAT

Help PLEASE everyone seems to have an opinion on what is involved on getting XM working in my 2009 Lexus ES-350. Does anyone have an answer on what exactly is involved? Lexus tells me they can install whatever is needed for $700!! That just seems crazy to me.......
Old 08-03-10, 11:57 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 184 Likes on 143 Posts

still the key is, do you already have the shark fin antenna on the roof (toward the rear windshield)?

all lexus are xm "ready" now, that means nothing but that the front head unit can take xm signals. however, first off for sure you don't have the xm tuner that's absolutely needed. if your car does not have the shark fin on the roof, then that means you don't have the antenna as well. in that case, the lexus factory kit won't work well and it's probably best to go aftermarket
Old 08-03-10, 12:52 PM
flowrider
Lexus Champion

Received 1,815 Likes on 1,281 Posts

Two threads now:

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/es3...-es-350-a.html

Lou
Old 08-03-10, 03:02 PM
jhkunkel
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by rominl
still the key is, do you already have the shark fin antenna on the roof (toward the rear windshield)?

all lexus are xm "ready" now, that means nothing but that the front head unit can take xm signals. however, first off for sure you don't have the xm tuner that's absolutely needed. if your car does not have the shark fin on the roof, then that means you don't have the antenna as well. in that case, the lexus factory kit won't work well and it's probably best to go aftermarket
No the car does not have the "Shark Fin".
Do you know if I can buy an aftermarket unit that will hook up thru the radio? I don't want something sticking out of the cirarette lighter or anything like that. Thanks
Old 08-03-10, 08:50 PM
YotaCarFan
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You can buy the factory xm receiver from your dealer. You need to buy two things: the receiver and the installation kit. IIRC, the receiver runs about $300 and the kit about $75. The electronics go behind the trunk wall and thus don't show. The antenna is a black lump about 1.5" square that sticks to the trunk lid. It's not very attractive, but isn't too noticeable. You can paint it to match if desired.

Any aftermarket kits will need power from the cig lighter (but you could theoretically splice in to the car's 12v harness somewhere hidden).
Old 08-03-10, 10:33 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Originally Posted by YotaCarFan
You can buy the factory xm receiver from your dealer. You need to buy two things: the receiver and the installation kit. IIRC, the receiver runs about $300 and the kit about $75. The electronics go behind the trunk wall and thus don't show. The antenna is a black lump about 1.5" square that sticks to the trunk lid. It's not very attractive, but isn't too noticeable. You can paint it to match if desired.

Any aftermarket kits will need power from the cig lighter (but you could theoretically splice in to the car's 12v harness somewhere hidden).
no... not necessarily. vaistech has perfect xm radio setup and it's completely plug and back to the back of the factory radio, and nothing is shown except the antenna, which is the same case for factory setup anyway. and more than likely aftermarket setup is cheaper than factory. i have installed a few aftermarket setup on lexus, never had to cut or tap on any wires, everything is concealed, and work perfectly
Old 08-03-10, 10:36 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Originally Posted by jhkunkel
No the car does not have the "Shark Fin".
Do you know if I can buy an aftermarket unit that will hook up thru the radio? I don't want something sticking out of the cirarette lighter or anything like that. Thanks
as i mentioned, no cigarette power (i'd never put those stuff in my car anyway). i have done a few vaistech, everything is plugged to the back of the head unit, all controls done through the head unit as it's supposed to be, and xm through the factory speakers.
Old 08-04-10, 05:34 AM
jhkunkel
Driver School Candidate

Romini,
This sounds exactly like what I would be looking for. Do you know where I can buy this, and who can I contact to install it.
Very helpful info, Thanks Very Much!