Wheels, Tires & Brakes Forum Where else do you go for wheel, tire and brake information?

Bridgestone RE-11 vs Michelin PS2

Search this Thread

Old 07-25-10, 05:02 PM
*Batman*
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Bridgestone RE-11 vs Michelin PS2

I am switching to non run-flat tires to improve the ride quality. However I still want a high performance tire which handles aggressive driving and the Florida rain showers. Don't care about cold weather since weather here varies between hot and extremely hot.

I am choosing between the Bridgestone RE-11 and Michelin PS2 for my switch to non run-flat tires.

Based on the 2 charts below, is it fair to conclude the RE-11 offers better ride quality than the PS2?

Old 07-26-10, 11:58 AM
ZinikLex21
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You're comparing apples to oranges. One is a Max Performance Summer tire and the other is Extreme Performance. And to add to that, you shouldn't be worried about ride comfort with either set of tires, they are made for performance.

If you want ride comfort, go with a high performance all season like the Bridgestone RE960AS, Michelin PS A/S+ or the Continental DWS.

In regards to RE-11 and the PS2, they are both great tires and at the top of their class in their respective categories.

Dont expect the RE-11 to last more than 12k miles or the PS2 to last more than 18k.
Old 07-26-10, 12:01 PM
*Batman*
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by ZinikLex21
You're comparing apples to oranges. One is a Max Performance Summer tire and the other is Extreme Performance. And to add to that, you shouldn't be worried about ride comfort with either set of tires, they are made for performance.

If you want ride comfort, go with a high performance all season like the Bridgestone RE960AS, Michelin PS A/S+ or the Continental DWS.

In regards to RE-11 and the PS2, they are both great tires and at the top of their class in their respective categories.

Dont expect the RE-11 to last more than 12k miles or the PS2 to last more than 18k.
It seems the PS2 has excellent ride comfort. If anything they are too soft. But I am going with those since while the RE-11s seem great, I don't want to take risks on rain safety or ride quality.
Old 07-26-10, 12:17 PM
ZinikLex21
Rookie

Anything non-RFT is going to give you a better ride quality. The PS2's are very soft, but they still have great handling capabilities. The RE-11's, like most Bridgestone have a tough sidewall, but not to where it will compromise ride quality. The RE-11's will handle better than any street tire you've ever driven on and they are decent in the rain, but i wouldn't be 100% comfortable in a huge down-pour. The PS2's are your best bet.
Old 07-26-10, 12:40 PM
*Batman*
Lexus Champion

Anything non-RFT is going to give you a better ride quality. The PS2's are very soft, but they still have great handling capabilities. The RE-11's, like most Bridgestone have a tough sidewall, but not to where it will compromise ride quality. The RE-11's will handle better than any street tire you've ever driven on and they are decent in the rain, but i wouldn't be 100% comfortable in a huge down-pour. The PS2's are your best bet.
Super thanks for the advice. In South Florida, with all the tropical storms, we do get huge down pours.
Old 07-29-10, 10:41 AM
gengar
Moderator: LFA, Clubhouse

Received 43 Likes on 33 Posts

Why would you be uncomfortable specifically with the RE11s in a downpour? They beat the PS2s in most of Tire Rack's wet condition tests including stopping distance and lateral force.
Old 07-29-10, 01:43 PM
*Batman*
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by gengar
Why would you be uncomfortable specifically with the RE11s in a downpour? They beat the PS2s in most of Tire Rack's wet condition tests including stopping distance and lateral force.
I agree but I heard from several sources that the RE-11 is susceptible to hydroplaning in heavy downpours. The Tire Rack wet track test does not test for this since they are just driving around a track with sprinklers on.

I was told about the hydroplaning issue by a tire rack rep who runs RE-11s on his own car. I also read about it on several Porsche and BMW forum reviews. In addition the tire rack surveys show a generally lower score for the RE-11 on all wet criteria.

My sense is that its not a bad wet tire, and is probably better in the wet than the Bridgestone EL42 run-flat OEM tire, but it is not the best. This combined with a more firm ride, etc leads me to think that it is a bit too progressive of a tire choice for my situation.
Old 07-29-10, 08:57 PM
ZinikLex21
Rookie

Originally Posted by gengar

Because i've ran the previous model (RE-01R) on my car and they weren't as stable as i would have liked in a heavy downpour. I'm sure the RE-11 is slightly better but it is geared to be a performance dry tire and isnt designed to perform in extreme cold or wet conditions.
Old 08-06-10, 02:05 PM
Brandon@TR
Former Sponsor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

We should not be comparing results of different tests, the ambient temperatures, road conditions, vehicle conditions, sizes, etc. could all be different. In general the RE-11 being an extreme performance tire would not be the best tire for wet traction, it is geared toward dry traction and is almost like a "streetable" track tire.
Old 08-06-10, 03:17 PM
*Batman*
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Brandon@TR
We should not be comparing results of different tests, the ambient temperatures, road conditions, vehicle conditions, sizes, etc. could all be different. In general the RE-11 being an extreme performance tire would not be the best tire for wet traction, it is geared toward dry traction and is almost like a "streetable" track tire.
Agree. It's just surprising that there is no tire that is better than the Michelin PS2 right now. I'm now on my third set of PS2s but was hoping for an advancement!

Maybe the Bridgestone Potenza S001 when it comes out next Jan will be a better tire. Although I'm going to be on PS2s for a while since I just bought them.