GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

Are my Headlights Xenon or HID??

Search this Thread

Old 07-14-10, 07:35 PM
Killak9
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Red face Are my Headlights Xenon or HID??

I have a 2003 GS300 Sport Design, they headlights look like the stock headlights, but i dont know if they came stock with HID?? or Xenon headlights?, and if one or the other, how can i check to be sure?? can anyone help?

Thank you!

Adam
Old 07-14-10, 07:43 PM
flipicanez
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

HID lights use Xenon bulbs.

So uhm you have both.
Old 07-14-10, 08:44 PM
BrentGS
Pole Position

Post some pics of your car! Is it GGP?
Old 07-14-10, 08:47 PM
Killak9
Driver School Candidate

Not sure, which is the GGP?? what would they intale? actually nevermind, you mean graphite grey pearl right??...the answer is yes it is Brent

Last edited by Killak9; 07-14-10 at 08:51 PM. Reason: Added to
Old 07-14-10, 08:48 PM
Killak9
Driver School Candidate

No but my friend said there is def. a difference Flip, what im asking is are they HID bulbs?? or are they Xenon bulbs?? or are they Xenon bulbs? Im pretty sure they are the stock HID lights, but im not sure...and i wanna upgrade the Brightness of them, so i just wanted to know if the bulbs themselves were HID or not
Old 07-14-10, 09:00 PM
sleeper408

Received 16 Likes on 8 Posts

The whole headlight unit is considered to be "high intensity discharge" headlights. It uses bulbs that are filled with xenon gas. This is what makes them so bright. Now, do you really want brighter or do you mean different color?
Old 07-14-10, 09:46 PM
Mr Jokster
Lexus Test Driver

Received 88 Likes on 80 Posts

you should be able to tell buy just looking at them to see if they are HID or not. HID to halogen are 2 total different looking colors... if not, then just look at the bulb if it looks like this:

then its hid.
Old 07-15-10, 06:26 AM
cjames235
Driver

yea i think you are just a little confused..... you are meaning to ask if you have HID or halogen.......... xenon and HID are the same thing

but if your bulb looks like the one jokster put up then it is HID (or xenon), whichever word you like better
Old 07-15-10, 07:16 AM
Mr Jokster
Lexus Test Driver

Received 88 Likes on 80 Posts

Originally Posted by cjames235
yea i think you are just a little confused..... you are meaning to ask if you have HID or halogen.......... xenon and HID are the same thing

but if your bulb looks like the one jokster put up then it is HID (or xenon), whichever word you like better
well cant really call them xenon; you call a Taco a Taco cause thats what it is, you dont call it hamburger meat because of its contents

HID contains xenon gases while a halogen contains heated filaments
Old 07-15-10, 08:50 AM
TYPEII
Racer

Are you wondering if your car came with OEM HIDs or halogen housing with aftermarket HIDs. OEM HID will have the auto-leveler.

To test the auto leveler, turn on your lights, leave them on, exit the car, lock the car with the remote, open car with remote, stick key in ignition and turn to ACC position, lights should turn on and do the test— light beams goes up and down.
Old 07-15-10, 09:13 AM
lexusben
Lead Lap

So OEM Halogens don't have an Autoleveler?
Old 07-17-10, 01:22 PM
Killak9
Driver School Candidate

yeah they have the auto leveler - im pretty sure they are Xenon Bulbs, not halogen, just by the purplish color, and due to the fact my car does have the auto-leveler, my headlight covers themselves, are just dingy and yellowish, ive already had them restored, but i wanna get new ones that are clear and new, and maybe even a little brighter
Old 07-18-10, 11:19 AM
flipicanez
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Killak9
No but my friend said there is def. a difference Flip, what im asking is are they HID bulbs?? or are they Xenon bulbs?? or are they Xenon bulbs? Im pretty sure they are the stock HID lights, but im not sure...and i wanna upgrade the Brightness of them, so i just wanted to know if the bulbs themselves were HID or not
Of course I have seen aftermarket ricer halogens on eBay claiming to be filled with Xenon gas but still utilize a filament. But in order for Xenon gas to ignite it takes an initial high amount of voltage (I think 10k volts, don't quote me on that) to start them up thus causing the start-up flickering. With that said Xenon filament halogen bulbs are pointless. HID bulbs are filled with xenon gas to give the full effect.

The term HID refers to the system, sort of the umbrella that covers all components of the system consisting of Xenon (non-filament) bulbs, proper reflectors or projectors and leveling system.

There is a couple of vendor sponsors on this site that should carry some brighter bulbs with different color hues:

http://www.xenondepot.com

and

http://www.hidextra.com

Make sure to find the D2R bulbs since it looks like HID is native to your car.

Originally Posted by lexusben
So OEM Halogens don't have an Autoleveler?
Nope, and I wish they did. Would make my HID install feel a bit more complete.

Last edited by flipicanez; 07-18-10 at 11:34 AM.
Old 07-18-10, 09:41 PM
trukn1
NELOC Mod

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Welcome to the club Adam. You will find ALOT of VERY knowledgeable people here who can help you with the questions better than I can. As we discussed earlier this afternoon, you car has the OEM HID bulbs with the auto leveler. They are not, as I told you earlier, projectors (don't know where my mind was). That shield that was around the bulb that I showed you was the shield which keeps the light concentrated, instead of just splashing light all over the place.
In doing some more research, remember I am more versed in LS than GS, I see that you CAN just upgrade your bulbs to the 8K lighting that you want within the factory housing that you do have now. Would be as simple as changing the bulb. I know that you also want to get rid of the yellowing effect that you have going on with the headlight itself, and that is something that the members here may be able to help more with. You already spoke with my friend, GSOUP(Carlos) about that this afternoon, and so you know that it is a possibility that it may be a problem with the INSIDE of the lens as opposed to the outside (which you have already had done). You know where to find me.

Will see if we can get a photoshoot going with your car, so you can get pics up when I come back home next weekend. For the record guys,,the new guy lives in my building upstairs from me. I referred him here b/c I know of the close community that we have so don't kill him with the mod bug too quickly. He parks next to my car all the time and it is already biting him. LOL!!!