ES - 1st to 4th Gen (1990-2006) Forum for all 1990 - 2006 ES300 and ES330 models. ES250 topics go here as well.

ES300 is good for how many miles?

Old 04-16-03, 06:02 AM
punkyrules
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default ES300 is good for how many miles?

I am considering purchasing a used ES 300 that has about 50,000 or so miles on it. It will most likely be a 97 or 98 model. Does anyone know how long, in terms of mileage, these cars last until maintenance costs become significantly expensive?

I am looking for a reliable vehicle that will last a long time. I can get a Honda Accord that has half as many miles for a much cheaper price. So, I am trying to figure out how long an ES 300 will last. If it lasts long enough, than it will justify the added cost. My desire is that it will drive reliably with little problems up until at least 110k.

Thanks
The following users liked this post:
Playcubes (10-14-23)
Old 04-16-03, 09:14 AM
steviej
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

provided proper maintenence was performed up to the time you purchase and after you perchase, the car will last well into the 200k mile range. Several CL members have posted ranges over 200k with minimal problems. There are some commonly posted problems with the 1MZ-FE engine (engine seals, valve cover seals, etc). I am sure Honda has their share of these, too. Any car will last a long time, again, if proper maint. is performed. That is all up to the owner.

Regualr (every 3-5k miles) oil and filter changes can easily be done by yourself. Keep in the back of your mind, a major service will be recommended at 90k. Major in that the water pump, pulleys, timinig belt as well AC, alt. and PS belts should be changed. This runs about a grand from a Lexus service shop but may be less from a Toyota.

Whatever you pruchase, you are on the right track. You are already thinking "down the road".

good luck.

My own personal opinion............go with the Lexus, and stick with CL.
where in MA are you? There are some good Lexus buys in my area.

steviej

Last edited by steviej; 04-16-03 at 09:16 AM.
Old 04-16-03, 10:19 AM
Lexboy1
Banned (again)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i have a 93 ES300 with a little over 180,000 miles. No problems yet......
Old 04-16-03, 12:54 PM
flipside909
Lexus Connoisseur

Received 531 Likes on 280 Posts

The longevity of your lexus depends on how well you regularly maintain and drive your car. If the car wasn't abused and was regularly maintained...you should have a great car to drive for a very long time.
Old 04-16-03, 03:41 PM
Bluesman
Driver

I've asked this question before in ES300 forum section, but I didn't receive much of a response. I have been told in the Maintenance section that the ES300 is known to have tranny issues. I have yet to see that mentioned in the ES300 section. That's my only concern about the ES300 at the moment.
Old 04-16-03, 06:06 PM
flipside909
Lexus Connoisseur

Received 531 Likes on 280 Posts

Originally posted by Bluesman
I've asked this question before in ES300 forum section, but I didn't receive much of a response. I have been told in the Maintenance section that the ES300 is known to have tranny issues. I have yet to see that mentioned in the ES300 section. That's my only concern about the ES300 at the moment.
the only reason why an ES300 would have a tranny issue is through lack of regular maintenance (i.e. full powerflush fluid drain and refill ...not just a plain drain and refill).
Old 04-22-03, 08:11 AM
punkyrules
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally posted by steviej

My own personal opinion............go with the Lexus, and stick with CL.
where in MA are you? There are some good Lexus buys in my area.

steviej [/B]
Where are there good buys? Send me an email at punkyrules@hotmail.com

Thanks
Old 04-24-03, 08:19 PM
rukarims
Driver

Post gotta lov'em

my lex has 131,000miles. Only think i got done was the tune-up. and got the oils changed. Still drives like new
Old 04-28-03, 08:36 PM
300lex97
Driver School Candidate

150k on my 97. No problems so far. Maintenance is KEY.
Old 04-29-03, 06:25 AM
QueensLex
Driver School Candidate

i purchased a 93 with 128k miles. i put 2 thousand on the car, replacing a water pump (and replaced the timing belt too which was nothing wrong with it but you should replace it every 100k miles i think), windshield (my own fault), and tires. I spend the rest hooking the car up. but both lex and honda are very reliable. just get the lex anyway.
Old 05-01-03, 08:08 AM
Gabeshell
Driver

Personally I would go with a Lexus. They are great cars and the fact that it is a luxury car makes it all the sweeter. You'll never be happier then when you're behind the wheel of a Lexus.

I think that what you really need to look at though is what you can afford to spend down the road. If you don't have a cash flow problem then deffinately pick up the Lexus. If things are a bit tight ,then maybe the Honda would be a better choice. Both cars are extremely reliable, but the general maintenance and scheduled maintenance is pretty steep with a lexus. Bear in mind that many "local" garages are not comfortable working on a Lexus where as Honda's are a dime a dozen and most mechanics are not intimidated by them. I've owned 5 Honda/Acura products over the past 10 years and can attest to their longevity. Good luck with what ever choice you make.
Old 05-01-03, 09:11 AM
Bluesman
Driver

Here's something I just read today.

Currently, IntelliChoice rates the Honda Civic as the best value on a used
passenger car for 1997-1999 models. J.D. Power also does an annual study on
the most dependable older vehicles. For 2000, Lexus won for the
sixth-straight year, with half the problems of other manufacturers (woo
hoo!). Toyota, Honda and Buick were the only non-luxury makes in the Top 10.

Buick ?! How did they make the list ?

Last edited by Bluesman; 05-01-03 at 09:22 AM.
Old 05-01-03, 10:26 AM
lexusk8
Lexus Fanatic

Received 21 Likes on 12 Posts

Buicks aren't bad cars at all. They're generally one of the lowest on insurance premiums, and good daily driver vehicles. I rented a 2001 Buick Century when I was on business in SF, and it's capable of handling all kinds of roads, not just the infamous steep roads in the Bay area
Old 05-01-03, 08:12 PM
Shaffer
Pole Position

Actually- Buicks are one of the most reliable and best built American cars. I have a 1992 Buick Park Avenue with almost 146K and it still runs like brand new and it was not really all that well maintained in the past. I will admit- the Buicks of the 1980s, except the full-size models (any 80s GM car for that matter) were very trouble prone, compared to the Toyota, Honda and Nissan of the 1980s, but by the early to mid 90s, they improved greatly. My 92 Buick is virtually squeak and rattle free, even at 146K. Only trouble areas I have noticed is cloth covering on the interior "C" pillar panels wear out quickly on these cars. Transmission torque converter problems can develop around 150-160K. The LeSabres of the late 80s and 90s was rated almost as high as Hondas and Toyotas. Out of all of the GM cars, it seems like Buick puts a little more quality in their cars, even more than Cadillac.

QUOTE]Originally posted by Bluesman
Here's something I just read today-

Buick ?! How did they make the list ?
[/QUOTE]
Old 05-09-03, 10:40 PM
JamesAMG
Driver School Candidate

Just thought you should know that my wife has a 98 ES300 with 121,000+ miles and it drives pretty good.
I am planning on doing all the maintenance on it from now on. Alot of good info from this website and my trusty Haynes Repair Manual should make it easy to do.
I use to have the dealer do all the work but I am not satisfied with the service that I have been gettting lately. We were thinking of trading the ES in for another car but I dont think the dealer will pay much for it. Besides, I think we can get it up to 200,000 miles.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: ES300 is good for how many miles?