RX - 1st Gen (1999-2003) Discussion topics related to the 1999 -2003 RX300 models

"Rear Light Failure Warning Light" stays on.

Search this Thread

Old 06-21-10, 02:11 PM
LongBall
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default "Rear Light Failure Warning Light" stays on.

The warning light turns on after brake pedal is depressed on my 2000 Lexus RX300. According to the manual, "one or more stop lights are burned out."

I replaced a couple bulbs two years ago but the warning light does not go away. I want to sell the car but have to figure out the problem so that a potential buyer doesn't think there is a major electrical issue.

Every light works correctly side marker, reverse, plate, turn, tail, brake/stop, etc. Even checked the brake light at top of hatch and made sure that the four tails get bright when brake pedal is depressed.

After a quick search I noticed a few with the same issue. Some recommend using a higher quality bulb — unfortunately, no one has confirmed this as a fix.

I know a couple of the tail bulbs have been replaced but don't know which ones. So I have two questions:

1. How do I know which bulbs are factory/OEM by looking at them?

2. Where do I get high quality replacement bulbs, dealer only?

Does anyone have any other solutions? Thoughts?

Thanks.
Old 06-21-10, 05:12 PM
salimshah

Received 993 Likes on 898 Posts

Make sure the brake fluid level in the reservoir is good.

Check your top mounted brake light along with the two side ones.

The quality does not matter much, but matching the wattage is important. Worst case scenario is that you replace all three [although you can do one at a time a keep moving the good one till the problem goes away]. We are talking less money than the gas in the tank.

Salim
Old 06-21-10, 05:37 PM
LongBall
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I just checked. The wattage is correct on the replacement bulb.

I think my next move is to buy the bulb directly from Lexus.

Last edited by LongBall; 06-21-10 at 06:31 PM.
Old 06-22-10, 04:20 AM
bob2200
Driver

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

Did you check the brake fluid level, as was suggested? Also try unplugging the electrical connection on top of the brake fluid container, in case the fluid level sensor switch is defective. I don't recall if that is the proper warning light for that condition, but it is worth a try. If the bulb wattages are really correct, there is no need to get a "Lexus/Toyota" bulb.
Old 06-22-10, 06:07 AM
Raoul
Intermediate

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts

All the vehicles I've owned used the parking brake light to indicate low fluid.

I found that rear light indicator related to third brake light in the hatch getting loose. Even when the bulb 'hooks up' again if the warning light is tripped, it stays on until the next start up.
Old 08-24-14, 12:11 PM
SVRX300
Rookie

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Recently my rear light failure warning light came on. When I start engine it does not come on; when I shift it to R it comes on and keeps on until I turn engine off. It always does that way. All rear side bulbs are check OK. I changed license light bulb from LED back to factory Toshiba bulb just in case it is the cause regardless of LED been in for a year or so already with no issue.

I'd appreciate any help or hint from you expert. My car is 00 RX300.

Last edited by SVRX300; 08-24-14 at 12:12 PM. Reason: additional info
Old 08-24-14, 03:39 PM
salimshah

Originally Posted by SVRX300
Recently my rear light failure warning light came on. When I start engine it does not come on; when I shift it to R it comes on and keeps on until I turn engine off. It always does that way. All rear side bulbs are check OK. I changed license light bulb from LED back to factory Toshiba bulb just in case it is the cause regardless of LED been in for a year or so already with no issue.

I'd appreciate any help or hint from you expert. My car is 00 RX300.
Try just pressing the brake and not shift into R ... I am willing to bet you will see the same problem
If yes then one of the 5 rear tail lights is busted (or about to go). Ask an assistant to verify each bulb for even intensity.

And welcome to Club Lexus.

Salim
Old 08-24-14, 04:16 PM
SVRX300
Rookie

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by salimshah
Try just pressing the brake and not shift into R ... I am willing to bet you will see the same problem
If yes then one of the 5 rear tail lights is busted (or about to go). Ask an assistant to verify each bulb for even intensity.

And welcome to Club Lexus.

Salim
Thank you Salim, Exactly as you said, the right side dual filament bulb is half dead; one of the filaments is broken and can hardly be seen with my eye.

I put in a good one and the warning light does not come on again.

Solved one problem on the day of registration so I am happy now.

Thank you again Salim.
Old 08-25-14, 09:52 AM
DeadRX
Rookie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I think after driving for years in NJ, I've knocked a few things loose. I get this light on a couple times a year--last was about 2 weeks ago--it went away the next morning.

I kind of just disregard the light now, if it comes on. Or, I open and close the trunk--that usually does the trick.
Old 08-25-14, 01:10 PM
salimshah

Originally Posted by DeadRX
I think after driving for years in NJ, I've knocked a few things loose. I get this light on a couple times a year--last was about 2 weeks ago--it went away the next morning.

I kind of just disregard the light now, if it comes on. Or, I open and close the trunk--that usually does the trick.
I would not disregard the warning.

1. People behind you may not know you are slowing down.

2. Your bulb socket is getting burnt out in the process.

I suspect the bulb (generally referred to as the 3rd brake light ,,, the one high up in the middle) is not making a firm contact with the socket and you are getting intermittent connection and brake. This causes arcing and heating of the socket till it is totally burnt out (too much carbon or physically deformed).

Salim