Lighting A place to ask questions about HIDs & other Lexus lights

HID bulbs help! one side is purple/dimmer/discolored

Search this Thread

Old 06-07-10, 03:49 PM
Wufen
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default HID bulbs help! one side is purple/dimmer/discolored

So, I have 2 HID kits that I purchased locally, one of generic brand (8k), and one of GP Thunder Pro Brand(6k). These are on a 97 LS400 just fyi.

The problem is that ever since the first time I flipped on my HIDs, starting with the 8K, one side was purple, not the blue-ish white-ish color 8k is supposed to be. I thought it was a defective bulb so I had them replaced, but I still had the same result. This also happened with the other set the 6k, one was white, and one side was purple. I've seen these kits on other people's cars and they don't have this problem. I then thought the stock harnesses were supplying too much power or not enough power to the ballasts so I got a relay wiring harness. I installed that but its still the same effect but there is a twist. For the 8k, one side was purple and other side was the normal color, but for 6k they are both purpleish white. I even switched bulbs from side to side thinking it was my ballast but it followed the bulb.

I've searched all over the internet and read that slightest adjustment in leveling can cause color change but i've leveled my headlights for hours trying to get them as perfectly level as possible but still the same result.

Any help would greatly be appreciated. Thanks!
Old 06-07-10, 06:15 PM
jvxdriver
Rookie

Can you clarify? How did you test out your output? Are you looking at the output on the wall? Or are you looking at the projectors standing in front of the car? Are you looking at the beam cutoff at eye level?
Old 06-08-10, 08:31 AM
Wufen
Driver School Candidate

sorry, this is all up against a wall, even looking at it from my car looking at it head on, its all the same result. I don't have projectors as these are in regular halogen reflector housings, i know haha
Old 06-08-10, 08:32 AM
Wufen
Driver School Candidate

they warm up and fire the same color, the look 8k before the driver side fades to purple, and then the purple switches to the other side.
Old 06-08-10, 10:36 AM
jvxdriver
Rookie

In your case, I believe it's a combination of both the bulbs and ballasts. Aftermarket 8k and 6k hid bulbs are inconsistent in their color temp. The quality of the bulbs could be the culprit. I think your ballast is the other culprit. You indicate that your LS400 is 13 years old. I assumed the oem ballasts have not been changed out. The ballasts could be warned out.

IF you have a good known oem ballast to work with, then perform this test to validate your bulbs colortemp. Simply test out each of 8k/6k bulbs using that same oem ballast. After firing up, let them burn for 1 minute and check if they consistently come out the same color temp. If each 8k/6k bulb pair come out the same color, then you can assume your ballast in your 97 LS400 is the problem.
Old 06-09-10, 11:04 PM
Wufen
Driver School Candidate

the ballast is also aftermarket as well though...