SC430 - 2nd Gen (2001-2010)

Rear Seat(s) Removal

Old 06-05-10, 06:57 PM
JerryB
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Rear Seat(s) Removal

Hi out there in SC-Land,

I am giving some thought to just getting rid of the rear seats, this winter, and converting the area to a luggage storage area. Maybe try to do some carpeting to cover whatever is there and add a package/storage shelf with some tiedown straps, etc.

Does anyone have any photos of the car with the reat seats removed? If so, I would appreciate your posting them here or sending them to me at my personal email:

jerrybaumchen(at)verizon(dot)net

Has anyone done something like this?

Anyone have any thoughts on this/pros - cons?

Thanks in advance,

Jerry Baumchen
White '02
Old 06-05-10, 08:18 PM
Harold57
Lead Lap

Received 408 Likes on 358 Posts

One of the threads dealing with replacing the sound system (or the ML speakers) covered removal of the back seat and I believe there were pictures of it there.
Old 06-06-10, 07:01 AM
jimmer!
Pole Position

Received 9 Likes on 3 Posts

this is the only legit back seat conversion kit I've seen (on a previous thread).
but I'm with you, wish there was a prefab system to convert the back seat
to more usable space.
all said, the back seat still carries a full set of golf clubs just fine.

http://www.l-tunedparts.com/product/?id=26
Old 06-06-10, 11:16 AM
JerryB
Pole Position

Hi Harold57,

I did a 'SEARCH' and found one on replacing the speakers which had some photos but not enough. I did find out the the rear seat headrests contain a rollbar, so that would need to be dealt with.

I am really looking for photos of the area 'gutted' so to speak to get some idea of just what might have to be done.

Hi jimmer,

Thanks for that link. I think that I have seen that conversion; and while it would work 'somewhat' it is not what I really want to do. Apparently, that kit is still available ( they are going to call me back tomorrow ); but a tad expensive. I'll see what they say.

I could not enlarge the photos from their site so could not see them very well.

But thanks for the input.guys; it is appreciated.

Jerry Baumchen
Old 06-06-10, 11:26 AM
Glock3540
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi JerryB,
If/When they call you back, see if it is leather or vinyl, and is the quality comparable to factory Lexus materials. Details of how it is installed would be helpful also.

Thanks!
Blessings,
Brian
Old 06-06-10, 11:27 AM
langsdale
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

ive done it. see if you like

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sc-...you-again.html

some other guy but a martini bar in the back seat. not my cup of tea, but very well done
Old 06-06-10, 02:38 PM
VVTiBob

Received 264 Likes on 200 Posts

I installed the "Lexus" rear seat taneau cover. There are photos of it if you follow the photoshop link in my signature. Access to area is gain in one of two ways, via the zippered flaps behind each seat, or lifting the deck cover which is hinged behind the front seat head rests. It locks down by the glass windscreen and pivots up to drop in a full set of clubs.

The nice feature is it come with an interior liner to protect seats. The drawback, it covers the all of the rear speakers.
Old 06-06-10, 03:07 PM
JerryB
Pole Position

Hi langsdale,

While what you did is not my cup of tea, that is the best photo yet of a gutted rear seat area. Thanks.

Hi VVTiBob,

When you say: I installed the "Lexus" rear seat taneau cover.

Did you buy the tonneau cover only ( just that item ) from a Lexus dealer? I ask because this looks a lot like the Cruising Shelf that may still be available. And if you did just buy the cover, how well does it work for luggage storage? And would you know the part number(s)?

One other alternate that I am thinking about is having a good interior shop build a flat-formed 'shelf' that would sit on top of the rear seats and allow luggage to be stored there without doing any damage to the seats themselves. This option would not allow as much luggage room but would protect the leather seats.

I am also considering removing the rear seatbelts because they flap in the wind when I am at speed with the windows down.

Thanks for the replies; every little bit of info helps,

Jerry Baumchen

PS) I've owned two 356 Porsches ( 1956 coupe & 1965 coupe ) and a '97 BMW 840Ci; all of which had fold-down rear seats so you could use them for storage. This is one thing that Lexus should worked into the design; it would have been very easy to do.
Old 06-06-10, 05:10 PM
Harold57
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by JerryB

I am also considering removing the rear seatbelts because they flap in the wind when I am at speed with the windows down.

Thanks for the replies; every little bit of info helps,

Jerry Baumchen
If you slide the seatbelt clips down to the bottom (near the seat) and use the magnetic strap/clips to hold the belt down, you shouldn't have any more flapping going on.

Last edited by Harold57; 06-08-10 at 05:18 PM.
Old 06-06-10, 05:23 PM
Ice350
Lexus Fanatic

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

There are custom shops around that can take out the rear seats and build something in their place. It's something I am thinking about if I get an SC430. It wouldn't be for the purpose of carrying luggage or installing a jillion speakers. It would be to increase the space the front seat can go back to give more legroom in front.
Old 06-06-10, 06:44 PM
JerryB
Pole Position

Hi Ice350,

Re: There are custom shops around that can take out the rear seats and build something in their place.

This is my original thinking.

As for the seat moving further rearward, it may not happen without additional reworking. Anyone have any thoughts on this?

Jerry Baumchen
Old 06-07-10, 10:45 AM
JerryB
Pole Position

Hi All,

I just talked with Carson Lexus and the Cruising Shelf is no longer available.

It does look like that if anyone wants to do what I want to do it will have to be some type of custom work.

Jerry Baumchen
Old 06-07-10, 11:53 AM
PHXSC
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by VVTiBob
I installed the "Lexus" rear seat taneau cover. There are photos of it if you follow the photoshop link in my signature. Access to area is gain in one of two ways, via the zippered flaps behind each seat, or lifting the deck cover which is hinged behind the front seat head rests. It locks down by the glass windscreen and pivots up to drop in a full set of clubs.

The nice feature is it come with an interior liner to protect seats. The drawback, it covers the all of the rear speakers.
Check with Sewell for this. I bought 1 a little over a year ago, and they had 3 or 4 more in stock. They wanted to sell them, and gave me a "deal".
Old 06-07-10, 04:54 PM
Poqman
Lead Lap

Received 23 Likes on 12 Posts

I think that Harold57 may be thinking of the link on speaker replacement with pictures as https://www.clublexus.com/forums/lex...all-sc430.html
Old 06-08-10, 05:23 PM
Harold57
Lead Lap

Yep, that's the one. Thanks Pogman.