Hybrid Technology Unique topics related to the 2004 -2009 RX400H model hybrid drivetrain and other features/options found only on the RX400H. Please use the main forum for discussion about shared components with other second generation RX models.

Does anyone have remote start on their hybrid ?

Old 04-23-10, 01:34 PM
mowmow
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Does anyone have remote start on their hybrid ?

I like to know if anyone have either the factory remote start or aftermarket remote start installed on their RX400h ? How does it work ? I'm curious and looking into doing something like that.

As far as I know the engine kicks in at ignition and stops after about 30 secs to 1 min. Does the remote start kept the engine running instead of leaving it off ?

Can someone shed some light on this, thanks
Old 04-26-10, 08:57 AM
jrobe
Pit Crew

Received 115 Likes on 66 Posts

I don't think it is possible or even make any sense to have a remote starter on a hybrid. What would you be trying to achieve?

I had a remote starter on my last vehicle and used it to warm up the engine so it would heat up faster in the winter (Wisconsin). This wouldn't happen on a hybrid because the engine would just shut off in a short time. Of course, it was connected to the engine starter and there isn't one on a hybrid.

Use the seat heaters to get quick heat.
Old 04-26-10, 12:16 PM
mowmow
Lead Lap

remote start will be for 2 purposes, 1 keep car warm in winter, 2 keep car cool in summer.
there are factory installed remote start on the new RX450h so I'm curious as to how they work doing similar thing on mine.
Old 04-26-10, 03:00 PM
Maverick16
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm considering getting the Viper security/remote start put in my '06 this summer. If I do (and you don't get any answers before then, which hopefully you do) I can let you know how it goes.
Old 04-29-10, 10:30 AM
mowmow
Lead Lap

I got this feedback from Kitlz on her RX450h

Sure no problem. Answers your questions:

1) The remote start was factory installed, included in my special order.

2) Disclaimer, this is my third RX but first hybrid. When I use remote start, the RX takes several seconds to turn on, similar to when started normally, and can cycle on and off. It stays on for the most part when it's cold. I assume this is the ICE working to get the heat going. Also front and rear defrost comes on. Still can't get it warm enough for my liking though. I guess hybrids were not designed for colder climates.

Other things, the RX shuts off after 10 minutes or if any door is touched. I can restart it via remote one or two more times but no more than that. The range is up to 80 ft per manual. I've managed to get it started at that distance. Headlights and wipers do not come on when remote start is used. Overall, I'm happy with it.

Hope that helps. Good luck with yours.

I'm looking into Compustar Pro series with Spread Spectrum remotes, I've heard a lot of good feedback from end users as well as vendors giving high scores on tech support and warranty coverage.
Old 08-10-10, 01:08 PM
TrendyTodd
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Maverick16
I'm considering getting the Viper security/remote start put in my '06 this summer. If I do (and you don't get any answers before then, which hopefully you do) I can let you know how it goes.
Have you installed the SmartStart yet? I'm looking into getting this installed in my 06 and would love to know if there are any issues as well.

I currently have the Clifford Matrix 12.5X and would need to replace it with a Python/Viper 1mi range alarm. Would suck if I get the Smart Start and can't use the remote start feature.
Old 08-10-10, 04:30 PM
Maverick16
Driver School Candidate

I have not yet, been doing more upgrades to my stereo. I should (hopefully) be getting either the Viper or CompuStar by Christmas time. I've got a few other things going in first.
Old 08-13-10, 02:22 PM
mowmow
Lead Lap

I'm waiting for Compustar's remote start too. Compustar suppose to be the better product.
Old 10-29-10, 10:36 AM
TrendyTodd
Lexus Test Driver

Update: Finally got the Python 592 with remote start and SmartStart installed. Working perfectly. Able to use my wife's iphone, my android, and ipad to lock/unlock, remote start, and panic.
Old 10-29-10, 01:10 PM
mowmow
Lead Lap

Sweet deal, so the engine runs and stops or runs all the time with remote start ??
Old 10-29-10, 01:28 PM
TrendyTodd
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by mowmow
Sweet deal, so the engine runs and stops or runs all the time with remote start ??
Stops and runs just like in normal operation. Had to tap the parking lights so that i can tell when its on.
Old 11-10-10, 01:19 PM
billy44bo
Lexus Test Driver

that sounds good to me I have one on order right now and had them put the remote start in it. But my dealer did not have a car on his lot with this function and was hoping to get 50+ feet out of the range for it. Looking into putting a CompuStar in my 2010 Camry LXE this summer.
Old 05-31-13, 12:34 PM
vbowman
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by TrendyTodd
Update: Finally got the Python 592 with remote start and SmartStart installed. Working perfectly. Able to use my wife's iphone, my android, and ipad to lock/unlock, remote start, and panic.
Looking for this system for my wifes '06 400h. I found it on amazon for $299. That price sound right? The local lexus dealership told me they wouldn't touch a hybrid. Have you had any problem? How much did it cost to have it installed?
Old 06-01-13, 08:17 PM
defo
Intermediate

Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts

I found a system on eBay that will add the remote start and use your factory key fob....I too have been thinking about this option....my buddy has it on his G35

BUT...the only thing I don't like about all aftermarket remote start systems....you have to permanently disable the immobilizer system that reads the transponder chip inside your key.
Old 06-02-13, 11:26 AM
katzjamr
Driver

for those of you in warranty, how does this add on affect that?

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Does anyone have remote start on their hybrid ?